6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 3:21 PM by whsprague

Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13

spajak

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't locate current specifics.

I'm considering a new machine to edit photos and create videos.  Current Dell Inspiron can't handle Elements 13 very well.

> Which graphics cards and other hardware are most recommended for use with Elements 13 (both Photoshop and Premier)?

> Which hardware is not supported by Elements 13?

> If I have installed on a Windows machine, could both programs then also be installed on a MAC?

thanks!!

• 1. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

spajak wrote:

> If I have installed on a Windows machine, could both programs then also be installed on a MAC?

The disc version will allow installation for both PC and Mac.

• 2. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
            whsprague Level 4

spajak wrote:

> Which graphics cards and other hardware are most recommended for use with Elements 13 (both Photoshop and Premier)?

I've been very happy with an i7 computer with lots of RAM and a SSD for work space.  It has a Nvidia graphics card, but Elements does not take advantage of it.  Recently I've been using it with 4K footage from a Panasonic camera with no issues.  

• 3. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements doesn't use or need a lot of graphics card power, so you can pretty much use whatever your off-the-shelf computer comes with -- or you can use an intensive graphics card if you'd like. But it won't make much difference in the program's performance.

As for processor, I also point people to this helpful benchmark chart. If the processor you're looking at rates at least 6000, you'll be in fine shape!

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

• 4. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
                spajak Level 1

Thanks for your feedback!

"lots of RAM" = 8GB? 12GB? more?

& too - please explain SSD workspace?

Are you using SSD external hard drive?

• 5. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
                  spajak Level 1

Thanks for the info and the link!

• 6. Re: Recommended graphics card / CPU / memory for Elements 13
                    whsprague Level 4

spajak wrote:

Thanks for your feedback!

"lots of RAM" = 8GB? 12GB? more?

& too - please explain SSD workspace?

Are you using SSD external hard drive?

It's an ASUS laptop that came with 16GB of RAM and and both a SSD and a much larger HD.  Both built in.  Conventional wisdom seems to have been that video editing is faster is you share resources over multiple HD.  The source clips on could be on one, the NLE on one and the output on a third. 

The SSD on my laptop is the primary drive "C:".  It has Windows and key software including Premier Elements.  My HD "D:" drive is for secondary software and primary data storage.  I use external USB HDs for additional storage and backups.  The SSD is 256 GB, so it is easy to fill it.  I try to manage it all so that there is a folder I call "Graphics Work Area" and it has 60GB or more room.  When I start a project, say "Beach Weekend", I make a folder on the SSD.  I put copies of my clips, the project and, in PrE Edit Preferences, put all the scratch disks there too.   Depending on the size of the project, there may be folders within "Beach Weekend" like "Clip Assets", "Photo Assets" and "Rendered Output".  When the project is completed I move the entire folder out of the SSD C drive "Graphics Work Area" to a storage folder on another drive that I keep backed up.   If at a later date I want to work on it again, I copy the entire folder back.

In Premier Elements are two methods to archive a project.  It may work very well but a few versions back I had some confusion with it so I do it my way with moving folders around.

Bill