7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 1:58 PM by johnrellis

Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"

CalgaryPix

This is a suggestion for future Lightroom versions.

I'm a photographer who usually works on location doing assignment based sessions. I shoot tethered to my laptop. I have individual catalogues for each session.

Here's the issue, I come home, my laptop doesn't have nearly the room I need to keep more than a few sessions on - so I transfer them to a bigger computer for archiving and, if needed, further work. I also occasionally have a third party do my retouching. When moving the catalogues and files from machine to machine of course it breaks the connections and I have to "find" the images. Not a big issue, but a pain in the butt.

What if the links to files were similar to html pages where the link is relative to the page (ie index.http://mysite.com/index.html and the images can be in /imagefolder/image1.jpg - if you move the site to a different server it keeps the link because the link is relative to index.html not relative to http://mysite.com/index.html

This would prevent catalogues from loosing their links when moving to new machines.

It would also all preset file saving locations to be with the catalogue instead of in a general folder (which again would save me a lot of time over the year not having to 'choose' the location each job I do.

I'm pretty sure there's lots of photographers who work the same way and would find this very handy, along with people who are just updating their computers to newer machines.

• 1. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

After you move a catalog to a new machine, are you doing Library > Find All Missing Photos or right-clicking just one folder in the Folders pane and doing Find Missing Folder?  In general, the latter is much faster than using Library > Find All Missing Photos.

• 2. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
            CalgaryPix Level 1

Doesn't matter which way is 'faster' - both are unnecessary if the program is set up right. By going to 'relative' location - having the associated files located by where they are compared to the main catalogue it would save me and most other photographers a lot of time, both for moving from one machine to the next and for exporting images.

• 3. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Make a folder on your drive with the name of the assignment. In that folder create a Catalog with that same name, Folder = Assignment 1234, LR Catalog Assignment 1234. Then place all images for that assignment inside a folder called Images inside, A Sub-Folder of, the Assignment 1234 folder.

Then when you move or copy that Catalog you COPY the complete Assignment 1234 folder and it will include all the images in the same folder structure.

The only problem is if you originally created that folder on your C:\ drive and gave it to someone that placed in on their D or E drive they would need to Reconnect the images to that Drive Letter.

• 4. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
                CalgaryPix Level 1

Glad to hear there's a method to do it on PC's - unfortunately I and most photographers like me use Mac's and the computer name always seems to change even on 'cloned' machines with the same user name, hard drive name.

• 5. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

All Mac's have the same hard drive name, Macintosh HD. That is the way all of them come from the factory.

As to your assumption that most all photographers use a Mac. I don't think so.

• 6. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
                    dj_paige Level 9

CalgaryPix wrote:

Glad to hear there's a method to do it on PC's - unfortunately I and most photographers like me use Mac's and the computer name always seems to change even on 'cloned' machines with the same user name, hard drive name.

You could easily try a test catalog on your Mac to see if it works, because if everything is relative, the computer name and hard drive name ought not to matter.

• 7. Re: Keeping image file location relative to "lightroom catalogue"
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I just did a quick test, and when you put the photos folders inside the catalog folder as Shootistbond007 suggests, it appears LR maintains relative file paths to all the photos inside the catalog. I was able to move the catalog folder to different locations and to different drives on my Mac and still open the catalog without needing to find missing folders.   I was also able to copy the catalog folder to my Windows computer and open the catalog with Windows LR, again without needing to find missing folders.

When you do File > Export As Catalog and select Export Negative Files, the exported catalog folder will have a similar structure, with subfolders containing the exported catalog's photos.   So even though I haven't seen any reports over the years of people relying on this structure to maintain relative paths, it's likely that it should work smoothly.

Doesn't matter which way is 'faster' - both are unnecessary if the program is set up right.

If it turns out that placing the photos folders inside the catalog folder doesn't work smoothly, then choosing the faster method would matter to anyone looking for a practical method of copying the catalogs. It just takes a couple of clicks to relocate the root photo folder.