6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 5:27 PM by jackcollings

How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?

jackcollings Level 1

I'm trying to export a photo that I have edited on Lightroom, I'm looking to print it onto a canvas so I am in need of the best resolution. When I export I know that it exports with the .xmp sidecar but is there a way that you can merge them?

The company that is printing the canvas I can't physically deliver the photo to so it has to be over DropBox, I'm really stuck and not sure what to do. The photo format that I have taken them in is Raw and extension .cr2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
          BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

Check with the company printing the image and export in the image format, color space resolution and size they require. For the size it is better to crop rather than resize on export.

For example, if you look at Easy Canvas Prints requirements they are:

"Accept PNG, JPG, BMP and TIF files that are 20MB and under. If your file is over this size limit you can flatten the image, convert to RGB in 8bit mode and save as a JPG at the maximum quality level."

So check with the printing company and export to their requirements.

• 2. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
            jackcollings Level 1

I see what you are saying and will check with the company but regardless of what format it needs to be in, when i export raw to anything other then .jpeg it will never put the changes I made on LR onto the exported photo.

I just need to know how I can export my .cr2 file post-editing and keep the size and have the changes applied to that photo.

• 3. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

You cannot edit a RAW file! (By this I mean you cannot change the data in a RAW image file.)

It always remains as original (SOOC). (with a few exceptions)

Proprietary raw files, CR2, NEF, etc, can have the Lightroom edit adjustments attached in an accompanying .XMP file.

DNG raw files can embed edit adjustments within the DNG file.

.XMP and "Embedded" DNG are created by "Saving" edits to the file in Lightroom [CTRL+S].

Often it is only the Adobe programs- LR, & PS, that can see and interpret these 'Attached' 'Embedded' edits.

Most printing companies will want a "Pixel" rendered image file- JPG, TIF, PNG, BMP, etc.

For this you need to "Export" from Lightroom in a "Pixel" format. Primarily JPG  (in sRGB ) is most common.

• 4. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
                dj_paige Level 9

I just need to know how I can export my .cr2 file post-editing and keep the size and have the changes applied to that photo.

As others have said, you can't export a RAW for printing (no company I know of will print your RAWs), nor can you export a RAW that contains your edits. You need to export a TIF or JPG for printing, and if you select TIF or JPG you will get an exported file that contains your edits. In the export dialog box, in the Image Sizing portion, if you uncheck "Resize to Fit", then your image will remain the exact same number of pixels as the original.

• 5. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Select your image in the library grid and Export- 

Export dialog should look something like this-

ScreenShot039.jpg

• 6. Re: How do I export an edited Raw file on LR?
                    jackcollings Level 1

thanks for clearing that up!
                    I always thought you could export Raw files with the changes and then thats how you could blow it up to be whatever size but thanks for making me understand its just a high quality JPEG I appreciate it!