8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 8:32 AM by ECBowen

Speed of GPU THAT Important?

MarkWeiss Level 1

I'm reading a white paper by Adobe and on page 7, it lists render times for CPU vs various GPUs:

http://international.download.nvidia.com/adobe/pdf/adobe-hardware-performance-white-paper. pdf

Render Times for Example Timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro:

4:50.4 CPU only (dual 8-core 3.1 GHz Xeon E5 2687W PC)

0:59.8 NVIDIA Quadro K2000

0:31.8 NVIDIA Quadro K4000

0:25.8 NVIDIA Quadro K5000

0:17.7 NVIDIA Quadro K6000

0:13.8 dual NVIDIA Quadro K6000

I didn't notice nearly that much improvement with a GTX680. Maybe cut 40% of the render time, but not 80% or more as in the examples above. But I'm on CS6.  I'm wondering if GPU is more utilized in CC than in CS6? What version of Premiere was this data generated from?

• 1. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It totally depends on what you are doing in your timeline (how many MPE effects and features) that you are using, what you are exporting to and what the power of your GPU has (CUDA cores and memory bandwidth).  Secondly they fail to show the comparable GTX Geforce GPU's beat the overpriced Quadro K6000 with 2880 CUDA cores and 288 GB/second at over $4000  with a  GTX Titan x with 3072 Cores and a memory bandwith of 336 MB/second for $1000

If you would like to test various GPU's, I would like to suggest you use our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM).   Use the MPEG2-DVD timeline with and without GPU acceleration for a meaningful test.

• 2. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
            MarkWeiss Level 1

I was just wondering because, although my GTX680 about halves the time to render (software) a timeline to h.264, it doesn't have anywhere near the drastic effect that this whitepaper indicates.

MPEG2 does seem to go a lot faster when scaling HD to DVD. Something like 5X improvement.

I'm familiar with the benchmark and have a copy.

• 3. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Naturally that white paper uses extreme cases, and I am guessing that your timeline has no 4K media  This extreme case is natural for any application benchmark like ours where you want to measure hardware effectiveness.

I just ran on this laptop the Export of the H.264 timeline.  With the low-end GTX 765M GPU on that time line with GPU acceleration it took 196 seconds, without the GPU (CPU only) it took 1380 seconds. And this was with Premiere Pro 8.2.0.65 which has a lot of GPU acceleration for the 4K material which was not the case in CS6.  This of course was AC powered and I do overclock the GPU.

• 4. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Only the raw specs of the video card ie GPU decide the performance the GPU will give. This includes Cuda cores, Clock speed for GPU cores and Vram, Vram Bandwidth, and amount of Vram up to the max required for ideal performance with the project in question. The Titan X card for example has the same specs as the new Quadro M6000. So both cards will give roughly the same performance provided the Quadro clocks to it's potential. Often the C-State profiles are far more aggressive on the Quadro cards to reduce heat and fan noise. This translates to lower clock speeds which means lower performance versus the equivalent Titan. The Titan X is also far cheaper so I would suggest that over any of the Quadro's if your looking there.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
                  MarkWeiss Level 1

One of the points I'm extracting from this is that CC has more support for GPU than CS6. I think that explains a lot of what I see in the tests.

• 6. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?

CC expanded the elements that are GPU accelerated and have far greater caching models which increase GPU acceleration load. The more data cached at 1 time the greater the amount of data is processed in the same time period and that translates into load on the system and GPU.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?
                      MarkWeiss Level 1

In Bills benchmark test, the results are radically different with a 36:1 speed improvement with GPU over just software. But in day to day use, it's not quite that dramatic.

• 8. Re: Speed of GPU THAT Important?

That is because the PPBM is a render test where the application will use the max resources available to the limit of the player caching and hardware available up to the ideal point. This will always show greater GPU acceleration performance provided media or FX don't limit it. However take a timeline with FX that plays back smooth with GPU acceleration and turn the acceleration off. Then see if you can play it back at the same resolution without dropping frames. That shows you the capability of the GPU in question for the type of projects your working on. Once again this is dynamic.

Eric

ADK