10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 9:12 AM by trshaner

Importing images

richards68977585

When importing images I inadvertently created a new sub-folder with the same name as the main folder. The main folder contains all the original images, plus the new ones in the sub-folder. How do I avoid creating a new sub-folder each time I wish to add to a folder? Can I delete the sub-folder without deleting the photos that also reside in the main folder?

• 1. Re: Importing images
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

is this a photoshop question or some other adobe program?

• 2. Re: Importing images
            richards68977585 Level 1

This question about Lightroom.

Thank you,

Richard

• 3. Re: Importing images
              richards68977585 Level 1

Sorry, I thought I entered through a Lightroom site. The question is about Lightroom.

[Moved from the generic Cloud forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

• 4. Re: Importing images
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

In the import dialog, the panels on the right pane will tell you where your images are going, if LR is doing the file copying for you.

Yes, you can move the images out of the subfolder then delete the empty folder.

In the Library module, go to the Folders panel.

• 5. Re: Importing images
                  richards68977585 Level 1

Thanks Maniac.Joe, but I may not have made myself completely clear. The images loaded into Lightroom are in a Folder, that itself is in another Folder. Both folders have the same name. When I Imported, I checked that the images should be placed in a folder with the name of a preexisting Folder, thinking that the images would load into that Folder (which they did, but they also appear in another Folder of the same name that was created with the new Import. So I have the original Folder (call it TEST, with 100 images) with a sub-folder (also called TEST with 50 images). The original TEST contains ALL the 100 images I want in the Folder with that name including the new 50 images that were imported and duplicated into the sub-folder called TEST. My question is can I simply delete the sub-folder called TEST which lies within the main Folder called TEST without affecting the links to the identical images that are in the main Folder? If I delete the sub-folder, would it remove also the links to the identical photos in the main Folder? Second question: how do I load pictures into a pre-existing folder without creating another Folder of the same name (I am new to Lightroom obviously!)  Thank you!

• 6. Re: Importing images
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I would do a bunch of investigating outside of LR to see what happened.

Using Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder), go to the subfolder and see what is in it.

Verify that the files really are duplicated in the parent folder.

Verify that the files in the parent are really duplicates of the subfolder's files.

Assuming you have not edited the duplicate files and really want to delete the files from your hard drive and the catalog:

If the files are really duplicated in the subfolder, delete the files in the subfolder, do not delete the subfolder.

Go into LR, to the Library module, Folders panel.

Find the now-empty subfolder.

Right-click (cmd-click?) on the subfolder, select "synchronize", uncheck all, check "remove missing photos", click the "sync" button.

Right-click the subfolder and delete it from LR.

Where files go during the import when you do a "copy" import:

In the import dialog, in the right pane, there are two panels to look at:

(1) optional "make second copy to"

(2) "destination"

For the second copy (backup), you pick the one directory and LR creates an "imported on..." folder in the one you chose.

For the "destination", you pick the destination folder.

If you check the "subfolder" box, LR creates a new subfolder in the one you already chose.

If you select "organize by date", LR will create a date-themed subfolder(s) in the old you already chose.

If you select "organize into one folder", LR will dump the images into that one folder you already chose.

• 7. Re: Importing images
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

richards68977585 wrote:

When I Imported, I checked that the images should be placed in a folder with the name of a preexisting Folder, thinking that the images would load into that Folder (which they did, but they also appear in another Folder of the same name that was created with the new Import.

Not sure what you did, but here's what you should have in the Import Destination field to put the files into a preexisting folder:

Then click on the preexisting folder below the above panel. For example to load into the below folder 'Canon Powershot 630'> '2006_09_20':

richards68977585 wrote:

So I have the original Folder (call it TEST, with 100 images) with a sub-folder (also called TEST with 50 images). The original TEST contains ALL the 100 images I want in the Folder with that name including the new 50 images that were imported and duplicated into the sub-folder called TEST.

It sounds like you have menu Library> 'Show Photos in Subfolders' checked:

So it's showing the 50 recently Imported images in the subfolder as if they were in the top-level folder, along with 50 image files from a previous import. Uncheck 'Show Photos in Subfolders' to see the actual folder content in a top-level folder.

richards68977585 wrote:

My question is can I simply delete the sub-folder called TEST which lies within the main Folder called TEST without affecting the links to the identical images that are in the main Folder? If I delete the sub-folder, would it remove also the links to the identical photos in the main Folder?

You need to select the 50 images in the subfolder inside the LR Library module and drag them into the top-level folder. Once the subfolder is empty you can delete it. Do NOT move folders or files outside LR, which will disconnect them from the catalog.

richards68977585 wrote:

Second question: how do I load pictures into a pre-existing folder without creating another Folder of the same name (I am new to Lightroom obviously!)  Thank you!

See my directions at the beginning of this post.

• 8. Re: Importing images
                        richards68977585 Level 1

Thank you trshaner! Very thorough and understandable answer which shows me exactly where I went wrong. May I ask two more quick, and I am sure easy (if you know how!) questions?

How do I uncheck a photo I marked to be deleted by hitting the X key? If I made a mistake and do not want it deleted, what do I do to uncheck it?

I am an Aperture user of many years switching to LR. In Aperture I could copy all the changes I made to an image to quickly add them all to another image--a very useful feature. Is this available in LR?

Once again, many thanks for your thorough answer.

• 9. Re: Importing images
                          richards68977585 Level 1

Thank you very much ManiacJoe! I appreciate your answer very much. I think I now have my solutions.

• 10. Re: Importing images
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

richards68977585 wrote:

How do I uncheck a photo I marked to be deleted by hitting the X key?

U key is Undo Flag, or use the Flagging toolbar:

If you can't see it above the filmstrip click on the slection down-arrow

richards68977585 wrote:

In Aperture I could copy all the changes I made to an image to quickly add them all to another image--a very useful feature. Is this available in LR?

The easiest way is to use Sync. Select ALL the images to be changed and make sure the one with the settings you want is highlighted, If not click on it and then on the Sync button.

I suggest reading and viewing the many tutorials and Help documents available on the Adobe website:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/tutorials.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/topics.html

The F1 key also brings up Help.