2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 9:05 AM by JFPhoton

How after effects will run on these specs ?

reinisk77491143

Hello,

I use after effects to create intros and other animations so i started to look for a new computer. Decided to go with a laptop (i know that desktop is better but i want a laptop)

MSI GS70 2OD

-Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 4x 2.40GHz

-16Gb RAM

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M, 2GB

How will it run ?

Also, if anyone have had this laptop i would like to hear your thoughts about it. Is it good ?

• 2. Re: How after effects will run on these specs ?
          JFPhoton Level 3

STUCK ON ALL CAPS....I HAVE SAME CPU AND GPU IN ASUS G750JW GAMING LAPTOP. GPU IS NOT USED.MUCH IN AE.....765M IS OK, ALTHOUGH A GPU WITH 4 PR MORE GB VIDEO MEMORY WOULD.BE ADVISED WHEN.WORKING WITH 4K.....THE 765M HAS 2. IF YOUR VERSION OF AE IS CCLOUD, RAY TRACING IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED,BUT, IF IT IS CS6, THE 765M WILL SUPPORT IT....THE 9XX NVIDIA GPUS NO LONGER SUPPORT RAY TRACING DUE TO NEWER MAXWELL ARCHITECTURE.

THE CPU IS GREAT FOR A LAPTOP......MUCH BETTER THAN MY PREVIOUS I7 LAPTOP....I SEE ALL 8 THREADS RUNNING UNDER LOAD AT 3.25 GHZ  WITH TURBO ALL THE TIME.WITH NO HEAT ISSUES. IN THE PAST, OLDER I7 CPUS WOULD.RUN LOWER CLOCK SPEED UNDER FULL LOAD.

WITH AE....IT WILL USE ALL THE MEMORY YOU CAN THROW AT IT....MAKE SURE YOU CAN ACCESS THE MEMORY SLOTS TO ADD MORE MEMORY....BRING IT UP TO 32 GB , IF POSSIBLE.. ALSO, AE USES A " GLOBAL PERFORMANCE CACHE" WHICH RUNS BEST WHEN LOCATED ON A HIGH SPEED SSD. HOPEFULLY, THAT LAPTOP HAS TWO INTERNAL HDD BAYS. IF SO, INSTALL TWO SEPARATE CRUCIAL M550 SSDS....SAMSUNG PRO SERIES,ARE SLIGHTLY BETTER, BUT, WAY MORE EXPENSIVE.

YOU MUST RUN MACHINE PLUGGED IN AND AT ALL MAX POWER SETTINGS,OR, IT WILL THROTTLE BACK AND CHOKE.. ALSO, ASSIGN AT LEAST 3 GB OF MEMORY PER CORE TO AE IN SETTINGS AND ALLOW MULTI CORE RENDERING OF FRAMES. BE AWARE DESKTOP WOULD BE BEST AS FASTER OVERCLOCKED CPUS CAN BE USED WITH MORE CORES....LIKE HASWELL E THAT HAS SIX AND EIGHT CORE VERSIONS PLUS HAS THE NEW QUAD CHANNEL MEMORY.