15 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 6:44 AM by A.T. Romano

out of focus photos on timeline

mike5680

I am opening my video with a photo of the bride and groom with their names on the photo.  The photo including the test is fuzzy or pixilated until it get to the end and then it clears up nicely.  I've tried rendering it many times to no avail.  Deleting and replacing it does no good.  What is the problem?

• 1. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is likely an indication that you need to render the timeline in order to see clear playback.

You don't say which version of the program you're using, but try pressing the Enter key on your keyboard and letting the program render the timeline. Once it's done, it should play smoothly throughout (assuming you've got a computer that can handle the load, of course).

BTW, the closer your photos are to video resolution, the better your timeline will play and the faster it will render. In my books (available on Amazon) I recommend using photos no larger than 2000x1500 for best video results.

• 2. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

If you said at the onset that you have Timeline rendered the Timeline content, then rendering the Timeline seems like a factor that we can rule out of your issue.

Since your issue as you stated it goes to photo quality and not how fast the Timeline will render, I would take the following troubleshooting approach via the following questions.

1. What version of Premiere Elements (already asked) and on what computer operating system?

2. What format is this starter photo (jpeg, psd, other), and what are its pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels)? Was this photo edited in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements before import into the project? If so, what type of photo edits?

3. Do you have video clips in this Timeline besides this photo? If you do have video clips in this project, what is the video - 1080p, 1080i, or other? And, when you opened the project, what was the first file that dragged to the Timeline - one of these video clips or this starter photo?

4. What project preset was set for this project set? If you are not sure, please tell us what you see for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if these fields look grayed out).

Please review and consider. If you have any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
              mike5680 Level 1

I am working on a wedding video.  I put a video in first to set the project to 720 x 480.  Then I put a photo in that I want to use to open the video.  Then I removed the opening video.  The photo has been resized to 1000x750 pixels.  The project stays at 720x480.

I am using a new HP cpu with 8.1 Window,  Premier Elements 13.  I have not updated to 13.1.  Can't get it to update and haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it.

The issue is that with just the photo on the timeline when I run the video, it is very out of focus, sort of pixilated.  When the photo time is up the image clears up perfectly.  I have text on the video that also goes out of focus and then gets very sharp at the end.  I've tried with and without the text, and it makes no difference.

As I am sure you can tell, I am new at this. 

• 4. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                mike5680 Level 1

By the way, I have been through Steve's course on Lynda.com.  I am trying to do everything as he as taught.  Just thought I'd let you know.

• 5. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

Thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify - if you just used the video in this project - forgetting about photo or title inclusion - do you have these Timeline problems?

Is your source video 720 x 480 4:3 standard or 720 x 480 16:9 widescreen?

Have you confirmed your project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields looked grayed out)? Pixel Aspect Ratio for NTSC DV Standard is 0.9091 and for NTSC DV Widescreen 1.2121.

What are the properties of your source video which you say that you are using to set the project settings? If you are not sure, the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded your video would help us to confirm the video properties information.

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

What happens if you start a new project? Same problems as the original project?

Not being able to update 13 to 13.1 may be symptomatic of an install issue. So, if you have the project set up correctly and find no computer issues, you should consider a program uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

The latter suggestion may clear up computer issues and allow 13.1 to be installed, bringing with its some program compatibility fixes beyond what Adobe originally published.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...About possible fixes for failed 13.1 Updating.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE13/13.1: 13.1 Update Failures/Solutions

• 6. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                    mike5680 Level 1

The problem seems to be only with photo as the starting point, not a video.

730x480 widescreen 16:9

1.2121 grayed out

Sony HandyCam DCR-SX41

Don't know about the graphics card.  Brand new computer.  2-3 months old.

Starting the project over makes no difference.  If I start with a photo, the same thing happens.

As to the possibility of an install problem due to the inability to update to 13.1;  there appears to be dozens who also cannot get the update to work.  Do they all have an

install problem?  I ;understand I can load this program on both of my computers and I intend to.  If I uninstall and reinstall on this computer doesn't that eliminate the ability to install the program on my other computer. 

• 7. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

Before the discussion on uninstall reinstall...

Mini test run....

About this photo...before you resized the photo to 1000 x 750 pixels, what were the pixel dimensions of the original photo and what was its aspect ratio 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9. Assuming that your photo was originally over 1920 x 1080, resize and crop one of the originals to 1000 x 563 and try to use that photo in your project set for NTSC DV Widescreen. Same problems or not.

On another matter....

I am not sure what you were getting at when you wrote

If I uninstall and reinstall on this computer doesn't that eliminate the ability to install the program on my other computer.

Adobe allows you to install the same purchased activated serial number on no more than 2 of your computers. But, they are not supposed to be run at the same time.

If you uninstall and reinstall on your present computer, that should not prohibit you from being able to install the same purchased serial number on another computer and activate the program there, provided that you do not get into a "number of computers" issue. Then you deactivate a program to get the allowable number of computers with the same purchased activated serial number down to 2.

In this case where it is suggested that you uninstall reinstall....

1. Deactivate from the opened project's Help Menu/Sign Out. Close the program.

2. Uninstall

3. Free ccleaner (regular and registry parts)

4. Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

5. After 13 is installed successfully, revisit your issue. Depending on the result, revisit your issue after you have downloaded and installed 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Please let me know if you are OK wit the above.

Thanks

ATR

• 8. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                        mike5680 Level 1

Original was3872x2592

If I change photo to 1000x563 it doesn't do the same thing, but the image is still a bit fuzzy and my subjects look fat.

In experimenting, I started a project with a photo that had been cropped to  1146x1145.  I added text.  I let it force the project settings frame size to 1920x1080 rather than 780x420.  Now the opening photo is crystal clear.  What does this mean?  Is there a reason I can't use this project setting instead of 780x420? I was using 780x420 because Steve G. suggested it in his course online.  I believe he knows what he's saying, so I must be doing something wrong.  If I just use these new settings is it going to use up too much of my computer's resources to operate properly?  Or cause some other problems as I get deeper into my project?  Just grasping at straws here.  What do you think?

• 9. Re: out of focus photos on timeline

Actually I always say the ideal size for a photo in a standard definition video (for DVD, say) is 1000x750 pixels. For a high-def or BluRay video, it's 2000x1500. This will give you optimal performance and quality.

• 10. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                            mike5680 Level 1

I'll try that.  Tks.

• 11. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

Here is my take on what works for me and others and which I intend to work for you.

When you have a photo or photos in a project which has video included, the project's project preset for the project should be set to match the properties of the video. And, then you size the photo to fit into those project settings so that they present in the Edit area monitor without black borders.

If you wanted all photos in this project destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then I would suggest that you

a. Crop the 3872 x 2592 3:2 photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9

b. Use the NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 project preset

c. Export as NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

You are still going to end up with display of 856 x 480 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, but many reports indicate use of the DSLR project preset gives sharper end product playback.

From what you have given as the properties of your video, the project preset indicated is NTSC DV Widescreen. That uses a frame size of 720 x 480 which is stretched to about 856 x 480 16:9 for display after encoding. When you set this project preset, the space in the Edit area monitor for editing is 856 x 480 16:9.

Your originals are 3872 x 2592, that is 3:2, not 4:3 or 16:9. So, when you downsize those original photo pixel dimensions, you need to consider including  cropping to a frame size with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool can do cropping to a specific frame size which will have a 16:9 aspect ratio. You can crop your 3872 x 2592 3:2 to 1920 x 1080 16:9, 1000 x 563 16:9, and some other 16:9 frame sizes. When they are imported into the NTSC DV Widescreen project, the program will automatically scale them to display them in the Edit area monitor 856 x 480 16:9. (See Edit Menu/Preference/General and the preference for Default Scale to Frame Size. Also see right clicking the photo on the Timeline, selecting Scale to Frame Size.)

I did not understand your troubleshooting results when you wrote

If I change photo to 1000x563 it doesn't do the same thing, but the image is still a bit fuzzy and my subjects look fat

1, If you imported that 1000 x 583 16:9 photo into the NTSC DV Widescreen project, that should have imported into the project and displayed in the Edit area monitor without issue. If you are talking about fat looking subjects, I would ask you "Did your crop the image to 1000 x 583 rather than just resize it?" Please look at this again.

2. With regard to "a bit fuzzy", are you considering the difference in pixel dimensions between 3872 x 2592 and 1000 x 563? And remember this is all going to end up as 856 x 480 for display after encoding. Also did you render the Timeline photo?

3. Also, I work with Default Scale to Frame Size enabled. I am wondering if you are working with Default Scale to Frame Size disabled and that is causing some of the confusion.

This is my suggested workflow...with Default Scale to Frame Size enabled in Preferences...

Project preset: NTSC DV Widescreen

Source Media: your 720 x 480 16:9 footage and photo sized to 1000 x 563 pixels.

Export: Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital.

Please review and consider. I am eager for you to succeed. So, any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

I did not see your post numbered 10 until after I had commented in post numbered 11.

You said that you will try that, presumably referring to 1000 x 750 pixels photo pixel dimensions.

But back in post 3, you wrote

I am working on a wedding video.  I put a video in first to set the project to 720 x 480.  Then I put a photo in that I want to use to open the video.  Then I removed the opening video.  The photo has been resized to 1000x750 pixels.

So, it looks like you tried the 1000 x 750 before, and it did not work for you at the time. Please confirm.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                                  mike5680 Level 1

Thank you for your help.  That is a lot to consider.  Most of it was so far over my head I'm drowning trying to take it all in.  As I said earlier, I am new (a month or so) to Elements and the photography/video arena altogether .  I have been watching as many videos as I can, including Steve's video on Lynda.com.  But even with that, many of the terms and phrases are not familiar to me and thus add to my confusion.  It's like explaining the color red to someone without using the word red to do it.

The project I'm working on got thrust on me not because of my ability, but because I was available and had the Elements software.  So again, thanks for your help and consideration.  I'll just keep pushing through.

Mike

• 14. Re: out of focus photos on timeline

Sorry for all of the confusion, Mike. There used to be a courtesy on this forum that, if one person started a conversation with a user, he or she could continue that conversation uninterrupted. That seems to have gone away and often users now find themselves working at cross-purposes.

I hope we've been able to clarify things somewhat regardless.

• 15. Re: out of focus photos on timeline
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mike5680

Thanks for the reply.

I entered your thread because the only troubleshooting suggestion that I saw given to you was related to something you had already said that you had done. And, it appeared to be an end of the thread reply to you.

I hope that the details that I have posted in post 11 will clear the confusion that exists because of your newest to the program. Since your purchased special training program has not helped, I had hoped that another perspective might expedite a successful completion for your slideshow. Explore and experiment and go with what works for you. If you need clarification, please ask, and it will be given step by step or at whatever pace is necessary.

Thanks for considering the comments.

Best wishes

ATR