6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 9:31 AM by 99jon

Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?

GadgetNeil

I find that when I go into the Develop module, the first thing I do is go to Lens Corrections, and I click 'Enable Profile Corrections', and 'Remove Chromatic Aberration'.  I see how I can do this as a develop preset on import.  Would you recommend doing that on import for all my photos?  If so, what other things do you think are good to include in a general develop preset, if any?  For example, should I include some import sharpening, or am I correct in assuming Lightroom already does apply some sharpening on all imported photos?  I almost always bump up Clarity a bit, so I am wondering if people add Clarity on import as part of a preset?

I know there are lots of presets built into Lightroom, and I downloaded a bunch of free presets, so I have tons !   A lot are specialized, eg. for types of B&W conversion, or for special effects.  But for all around, typical shooting, do you have a preset you have created that you apply to most photos?  If so, then what else do you include in it besides the Lens Corrections?

This is a separate question: if I take a lot of photos in a specific location, and I develop one photo, and find that certain Clarity, WB and Camera Calibration settings, etc suit it well, and l feel those settings should be applied to all the photos in that series, how do I apply it?  I know in the Library module, there is the paint can to 'spray' metadata settings on to numerous photos - is there something like that in the Develop module?

• 1. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
          dj_paige Level 9

I have a preset applied at import that turns on "Remove chromatic aberration" and "Enable Profile Corrections" and other things that look good to me. Since you mention you like to increase Clarity because it looks good to you, then you probably ought to include that in a preset as well. If something looks good to you, and you feel that it should be applied to every photo, then put it in your preset.

To apply any develop settings to multiple photos, select the desired photos in the Filmstrip below the Develop module. There is a toggle down near the bottom right on the Sync button, you want to hit that toggle switch so that it says Auto-Sync. Then any changes made to one photo are applied to all selected photos. Remember to turn Auto-Sync off when you don't want turned on it any more!

2015-05-24 09_15_00-Lightroom.jpg

Auto-sync is not turned on! Click the little toggle

2015-05-24 09_15_31-Lightroom2.png

Auto-sync is now turned on, any changes you make to one photo are applied to all selected photos.

• 2. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
            GadgetNeil Level 1

Thanks !   Didn't notice the sync button - that will be something i will likely use a lot.

In addition to Remove Chromatic Aberrations, and Enable Profile Corrections, what other things do you include in your routine import preset?

• 3. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
              dj_paige Level 9

I never answer that question because what looks good to me, based on the photos that I take and my camera, and winds up in my preset is irrelevant to you. You need to find what looks good to you, based on the photos you take and your camera.

• 4. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to the profile and CA settings, for my landscape shoots I always import with some negative highlights and positive shadows and some positive vibrance. I also have some sharpening and masking applied automatically on import e.g. sharpening foreground detail but not the sky. These are settings that give my raw photos a nice look straight after import. It helps with quickly picking with winners and losers. I know that many will need tweaking when I sit down to do the real individual editing work. But I get a good starting point compared with the Adobe standard settings. It's best to experiment. You may want a different import setting for portraits or other subjects.

• 5. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
                  GadgetNeil Level 1

Thanks - that's helpful

With the highlight and shadows, how much do you drag the sliders for your preset? 

Also, how do you apply sharpening only to foreground on import?  Or do you do it in the develop module and then sync the photos?

• 6. Re: Develop preset on import: what would you recommend?
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no point in giving you my values as our cameras, and files would be completely different. For sharpening under the detail tab I push up the masking slider quite high which works for my landscapes. I often end up backing it off when viewing in Develop at 1:1. You can hold down Alt whilst moving the masking slider to see the areas being masked. But I don't like images too sharp. The idea with LR is get the images just sharp in develop but not over sharp. This is called capture sharpening. You then apply output sharpening on export, for the specific size and purpose e.g. for web usage, emailing or printing. Remember I'm talking about raw files. Jpegs are often sharpened in-camera depending on the user settings.