13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 8:21 PM by TAZ VIKING

What is replacing Photoshop Touch

jpk129 Level 1

I noticed that Photoshop Touch is being discontinued. This will take what amounts to taking a couple of years of learning, and tossing it out the window. I have tried the new apps. They do not have nearly the breadth that I found in Photoshop Touch. Some of the things I did in Touch that I can't seem to find out how to manage is doing a panorama with several images.How can I do that with the new apps? There is also the issue for me of working with layers. Do any of the new apps offer the same support for layers? Not last and not least is portability. One thing I like about Touch is that I can use it anywhere. With the new apps I have to be able to access to WIFI connection in order to use the full power of the apps. Allot of times I use my I Pad when I am away from a WIFI connection. For instance when I am in the country, I can work directly on a landscape without needing a WIFI connection.

If anyone from Adobe out there is reading this: Please do not discontinue Photoshop Touch until your new apps that are designed to replace it are up, running, and available on ITunes.

• 1. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

You can keep using PS Touch; you just won't be able to get it from the App Store (or Google Play) soon. I also imagine you'll be able to download it via your account it was purchased on.

They're working on what's being called "Project Rigel," which more or less looks like a version of Camera Raw to me (a good thing) with some warping but no compositing/layers. According to Cnet, they apparently want users to defer to Photoshop Mix for layers but, as I recall, that can only work with 2 layers max. Maybe it's getting an overhaul too. I don't know for sure.

There were some creative effects in PS Touch that don't look like they're even in Mix or Project Rigel, which has me a bit alarmed. I know I don't want Instagram effects. I want control over layers and selections to apply effects with.

• 2. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
            jpk129 Level 1

I agree with being alarmed. It seems like the App model is different than desktop software. What I am used to with Adobe, and about everyone else is that software is updated regularly. What I see with the App model is that even with a brand name corporation like Adobe we have no security that what we had yesterday will be here today and probably be better than what we had yesterday In other words;.If we are left in the dust, just too bad for us.

I do agree with you that the loss of layer control is the single biggest loss. I also use Art Rage. It has layers, and offers control of the layers, but is a pain to be constantly switching apps every time I figuratively blow my nose. Another loss seems to be the work I currently do with masks. I use that feature quite a bit. Another big loss is the portability. As I mentioned I am frequently not at home, nor in reach of a decent WIFI connection.

Having said that the selection feature in Mix is very sweet. I will probably use that quite a bit.

• 3. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
              Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

This blog post has probably the best explanation of the future direction for Mobile apps from Bryan Hughes: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2015/05/photoshop-mobile-apps.html

Photoshop Touch should continue to run on existing iOS and Android devices.

• 4. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch

Yay, another ArtRage user!    (I use ArtRage anyway since it mirrors natural media painting, which is what I want when I'm in that mood.)

• 5. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                  leopards024 Level 1

Please keep Photo Shop Touch - It is the best learning tool for students before they take the next step in learning the full Photo Shop program.  I have built my Beginning Digital Media Arts program (over 600 students) around PS Touch and students get it and love it.

• 6. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                    jpk129 Level 1

For me it is odd that a major player in the visual software market would leave a hole like this between what they want to replace, and what they want for the future. It would be the same if Microsoft said they were stopping the sales of Windows for a while why they develop a new and better alternative. All I can really think of is that PS Touch was too good. Maybe they believe that it is sucking money away from PS, and the creative cloud.

• 7. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                      leopards024 Level 1

Yes, Adobe are you listening?  I convinced my school district that students would get a top rate Adobe experience which would encourage more students to go into the Technology Career Pathway. I have a class set of iPads and have taught over 600 students thus far with great success.  Public Schools are a huge market for this product, help us out and give us your expertise in curriculum and lesson planning resources as well.  Adobe please partner with us and keep the app alive, we are willing to invest our time to teach your product don't miss out on the Primary/Secondary Education market.

• 8. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch

To be honest, it's still too early to tell. We know that Adobe is taking a more modular approach and maybe even thinking of the new apps as an extension of their full desktop counterparts. (Let's face it, at least right now and unless you have a Surface Pro, the mobile apps won't mirror anything a desktop can do.) That's not to say PS Touch wasn't bad at all but I remember users complaining of not being able to take their PSD projects and importing them into PS Touch with layers intact. (Again, a hardware limitation, I'm sure.) Going with a new, more consistent solution makes more sense.

Hey, Jeffrey Tranberry, could you tell your contacts to hurry with Android tablet support with the beta apps, pretty please? Chop, chop. It's bad enough I had to shut off the absolute flood of Google+ updates on the beta community since I can't give any input. I do have an Android phone but I only use it for the most basic of tasks, like my shopping lists and talking. 

• 9. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                          jpk129 Level 1

I am fine with Adobe making changes. In fact I welcome it. As much as I like PS Touch, I can see lots of room for development. My only objection right now is that they have decided to discontinue selling, and supporting PS Touch before their alternative is in place. So for me it is timing more than the decision itself.

• 10. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                            henri2008

As someone who has used Adobe for more than 20 years, the experience I've had w/ touch apps being discontinued so easily has put doubts in my mind about Adobe caring for customers that were planning to downloads some of these apps that are no longer available. I was going to get Adobe Photoshop touch for a phone I just got , Note 3. It was available a few days or weeks ago ... and now....... gone ... poooffff.... very frustating

• 11. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch

Did you have PS Touch on another device, henri? PS Touch should still be available under the marketplace account you purchased PS Touch with. (I still have PS Touch available under my Google Play account.)

These forthcoming apps, for whatever it's worth, are going to be free, so there's that. Good or bad, you guys know I've got your back as I will give constructive feedback being an ardent PS Touch user myself.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                                Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Thanks for the feedback. I will let the team know.

• 13. Re: What is replacing Photoshop Touch
                                  TAZ VIKING

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), and it was suppose to come with photoshop. I've been searching everywhere to find it. So I stared searching the Web and found this post. I was really looking forward to trying photoshop, as the only thing I've used is MS Paint.

I'm really disappointed in Adobe for deleting this app before I even had a chance to try it. I sure as hell won't buy anything from Adobe again.

I'm getting fed up with these companies deleting stuff after you buy a product.

I brought the Dish DVR PAL a few years ago, and then they stopped the TV GUIDE.

There really should be a law against this.