Just had the same issue and contacted BC LiveChat to see if any resolution was possible. They confirmed that underscores aren't able to be included in CNAME records.
I had the same question and got onto chat support with Adobe BC. Their answer is to add the CName record as a txt record instead.
"I'm afraid, BC doesn't support underscore in CNAME records, you can use a TXT record instead."
I added the record as Jaargo suggested, using the TXT for both of them but haven't been able to get it verified under mail chimp yet. The Authentication for the account still with a red X. If anything changes I would let you guys know.
Anybody in here got it to work?
v'vmeza - yes, I know - I had the same issue even after the Adobe HelpDesk gave me that resolution (that didn't work).
Adobe really need to up their game with Business Catalyst - lot's of little bugs which users can find very frustrating & annoying.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier about this not working.
I waited 24 hours and still not authenticating. I updated the TTL and see if that makes a difference.
Thank you for your reply.
If i get it to work i would let you know.
Dealing with the same issue, hope to have this resolved within the next 24 hours, will update thread as soon as I figure something out.
The problem here is _ (underscore). BC does not allow underscore in CNAME records. Hence you get the "Invalid record error".
Thanks Gaurav! Looking forward to getting that feature added to BC.
As an update, my workaround was as follows: The client's site is hosted on a .com address but their email addresses are all using a .net address (setup prior to me getting involved with the company)
I've decided to disassociate the .net domain from BC to edit the CNAME records at GoDaddy (where the domains are registered) to have them validate with the underscores.
I understand that some of the partners above may not have this option available to them, but thought I would mention it just in the case it helps someone.