5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 11:43 AM by ManiacJoe

sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC

Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I have LR CC installed on my home desktop and my own notebook I use at work. I have setup LR mobile on my phone to sync with my home PC. How do I sync phone images to my notebook that is using a completely different catalog than my home PC. Both are running Win 7 Pro. When I try to initiate the Sync it states I already have it synced with Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat, do I want to sync with this new catalog called Lightroom Catalog.lrcat (No 6 in the name). How on earth do I have the Mobile LR sync with 2 installs of LR CC and 2 completely different catalog files.

To me this sounds SO BASIC. To have a Mobile App sync images taken on a phone or pad to TWO separate installs of LR. And No I don't want it to sync all my images from my desktop to my notebook. Just the images I take with my phone. Nor do I want all my images from my DT PC synced to the Clouds.

Isn't there a way to do this? Has Adobe dropped the ball completely with the implementation of LR Mobile.

• 1. Re: sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's one catalogue, and you can't change it. That's nice and clear, isn't it? Now, imagine if they had started out allowing multiple catalogues and think of all the clever things we ingenious users would try to do. Even in a simple scenario, how would Adobe reconcile the same photo in 2 or more catalogues? Which is the right version of the photo? The most recently updated? And if that was updated by mistake? How do you roll those errors back when they're spreading into different catalogues? OK, this could be handled with a lot of engineering work, and a lot of UIs that would frighten most folk away, so doesn't it make more sense for Adobe to prioritise getting the product off the ground with a clear single catalogue spec?

OK, now back to syncing images to two separate installs. You can't really do this, no more than two catalogues can simultaneously in perfect sync before Mobile came along. So send the files to a physical location that's shared (eg a Dropbox folder) and import into the other catalogue.

• 2. Re: sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC

Yeah so I've renamed my notebook catalog the same as my desktop, although they are really 2 separate catalogs, (Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat) and I will see what happens when I get home from Work (on a holiday) and Fire Up LR on my desktop.

Hopefully the cloud will think it is the same exact catalog.

Funny part is LR the desktop app says Sync with other LR Mobile Clients. Isn't the LR mobile part IN LR the desktop app a Client?

Thank you for the response.

• 3. Re: sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sync does identify your syncing catalogue using an internal catalogue ID, not the file name, so your plan may not work. Better to put the catalogue on Dropbox or a similar cloud service.

• 4. Re: sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC

As with most notebook computers, Windows or a Mac, there is limited drive space. So the catalog I have on my NB is much smaller than the one on my desktop and the NB only holds images I have taken when at work or a special occasion when I don't have access to my desktop. Then those images are transferred, copied, to my desktop and put into the DT catalog.

And no I don't feel like making many thousands of Smart Previews for all the images I have stored on my DT PC.

Thanks for the response.

• 5. Re: sync LR Mobile with 2 separate installs of LR CC
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

This is where external hard drives can come in handy.