8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 9:08 AM by dv.a

How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?

dv.a

Hello,

how can I correct my shift lense's deficits? 1st problem: I can't find my shift lenses (Canon TS lenses, Schneider and Rodenstock lenses) among the provided lens profiles. 2nd problem: I can't find a way to include shift movements (lateral, vertical).

Is there any way to do these corrections?

Thank you for help,

Daniel

• 1. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
          Yammer Level 4

Lens Corrections only work on aperture and zoom adjustments, not tilt and shift.

If there are no Lens Profiles provided for your T/S lens, you may be able to download a third-party profile, if one has been made by another user and uploaded to the repository. Look for Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

• 2. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

dv.a wrote:

Is there any way to do these corrections?

Not really but you can do some corrections (not distortion only vignette) by using the Lightroom plug-in call Flat Field Corrections (the DNG saved out of LR can be imported into ACR). Otherwise, no joy...

• 3. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
              dv.a Level 1

Hallo,

thank you for your help!

Yammer schrieb:

Lens Corrections only work on aperture and zoom adjustments, not tilt and shift.

Yes, that's the problem, I need correction keeping shifts in mind.

Look for Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

I work with Camera Raw 9 and Ps CC 2014, but Adobe writes: "Lens Profile Downloader is a free companion application to Photoshop CS6, Photoshop Lightroom 4, and the Camera Raw 7 plug-in." Nevertheless I tried to install Adobe_Lens_Profile_Downloader_1_0_1.air for Windows, but it does not work, installation fails.

In any case, even if there was a community made profile for ts-lenses, there still is no possibility to consider lens movements.

Jeff Schewe schrieb:

using the Lightroom plug-in call Flat Field Corrections

Thank you for this hint, but this tool does not really meet my needs.

Shouldn't Adobe complement the lens correction dialogues in ACR and Lr?

Best,

Daniel

• 4. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
                Yammer Level 4

dv.a wrote:

Hallo,

Look for Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

I work with Camera Raw 9 and Ps CC 2014, but Adobe writes: "Lens Profile Downloader is a free companion application to Photoshop CS6, Photoshop Lightroom 4, and the Camera Raw 7 plug-in." Nevertheless I tried to install Adobe_Lens_Profile_Downloader_1_0_1.air for Windows, but it does not work, installation fails.

I am surprised about this. As far as I am aware, it is a stand-alone application, and not dependent on any other software, other than Adobe AIR (currently version 17).

It will probably access the location where custom lens profiles are stored (C:\Users\Yammer\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded on my system).

• 5. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to install Adobe Air available in the gray box at the righthand side of this and other Adobe pages:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

As far as why Adobe doesn’t provide a lens profile for T-S lenses, I can think of a few reasons:

1)      There are too many combinations of tilting and shifting along with aperture and focus distance.

2)      The lens distortion model may not be able to model and therefore correct for distortions caused by tilting and/or shifting, considering the model seeks to rectalinearize the image from mostly circular distorctions and tilting tends to skew things significantly in a generally non-circular way.

3)      There may not be any EXIF data about how the lens is tilted or shifted which is what the lens modelling needs to determine which of the model segments to use for the correction.

• 6. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
                    dv.a Level 1

ssprengel schrieb:

You need to install Adobe Air

Thank you. I know, I have Adobe Air 17.0 installed, but installation fails nevertheless. As mentioned it seems to be incompatible with my workaround (ACR 9).

ssprengel schrieb: I can think of a few reasons: ...

re 1)+2): First, I'm only talking about shifting, not about tilting. Second, distortion does not vary when shifting, distortion is just shifted, too.

re 3): Right, no camera that I know of does store EXIF data about lens movements - and that would be fine. But the photographer can take notes about movements and tell that to the software.

Generally, I don't want a debate about pros/cons and technical feasibility of correcting shift lenses' distortions - because there already is professional software that does exactly this, e.g. Phase One's Capture One.

Best,

Daniel

• 7. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe is unlikely to provide profiles that cannot be used automatically via EXIF information.  Adobe would understand your using C1Pro instead of its products in this case.  It's a business choice.  They choose not to expend the resources to accommodate the tiny fraction of the market that wants manual lens profile corrections and would take notes and input T-S parameters from those notes.  It's a market niche C1 is willing to fill.

That said, you can try and create your own lens profiles with the Lens Profile Creator and name them in ways that allows you to select which one to use based on your notes.  This is Adobe's accommodation for what you want to do. 

• 8. Re: How to apply lens corrections on shift lenses?
                        dv.a Level 1

Jeff Schewe schrieb: you can do some corrections (not distortion only vignette) by using the Lightroom plug-in call Flat Field Corrections (the DNG saved out of LR can be imported into ACR).

I get back to this hint, thank you for that. This plug-in does not solve my problem described above - but it solves another: "color cast", occuring with wide angle lenses on technical cameras, so on mine (Leaf Aptus-II 7 with Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 32 mm f/4).

So, you mean that color cast corrections done with Lr are writen "into" a DNG and are thus available also in ACR? That would be IT :-)

Daniel