20 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 10:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?

TannaCoolStuff

I've had so many problems adjusting to adobe premiere elements. This is the newest problem is the saga.

The video is less than 4 minutes long and it will not export to a quick time format. It says there's an error. I've tried it like 5 times now slightly adjusting the export setting each time, but it still won't export to a quick time file..

What's can i do?

• 1. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TannerCoolStuff

From you earlier threads, I know you are working with Premiere Elements 13. If you have not updated 13 to 13.1 yet, please do that using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

But, what about

1. What computer operating system? Mac or Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit? I suspect Mac, but I do not recall if you mentioned that before.

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13/13.1?

Apple - Support - Downloads

3. What is this 4 minutes long video that you are putting on the Timeline - 1080i or 1080p, and file extension MP4 or MOV or something else.

What I am looking for

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

I want to assure that your import settings and export settings are OK.

When you get to QuickTime, what are you setting for the export settings. Publish+Share/Computer/then what and what are you setting for Presets?

Are you using the default settings for the preset that you select or are you customizing the preset under the Advanced Button Video Tab of the preset selected?

What is the wording for your export error messages?

Please try to put together the most information you can, and we will work on this.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
            TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Kay, I'll get that info together and get back to you..

• 3. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
              TannaCoolStuff Level 1

I am running Mac OS. 10.10.3 Yosemite.

I am unsure of whether I shot in 1080i or 1080p, but all the files are 1920 × 1080.. Sorry if that's not as helpful as possible.

I'm new to videography so I'm not sure about everything you asked for, but this info is confirmed:

The file extensions are all .MOV. 
              I did shoot in 24fps

The raw footage is in H.264, Linear PCM..
              These are the export setting I'm using right now:
              output- PAL, 1920X1080, 24 fps, progressive, quality 75 VBR, 1 pass, min 4.00, target 15.00, Max 18.50 mbps, mpeg audio, 384 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo, 16 bit
              source- clip, sequence 02, 1920X1080 (1.0), 29.97 fps, progressive, 00;03;10;17 48000 Hz, Stereo

Is that helpful

• 4. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                TannaCoolStuff Level 1

My MAC computer is brand new and so my updates are as well. My quicktime is the 10.4 version, which i'm thinking is probably the newest considering my computer is brand new..

• 5. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                  TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Technically, it's a laptop..

• 6. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

Let go after the project settings.

Open a new project, go to the Expert workspace, select File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset to

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

OK out of there.

In the New Project Dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to bring your .mov file into the project and to the Timeline.

When you go to export that Timeline, go to

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

and set Presets = PAL DV 16:9....next customize that preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the PAL DV 16:9 preset.

To set for 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second (H.264.mov), have your Advanced export settings looking like this...

MacMov.JPG

For the Bitrate Setting which got cut off in the screenshot....

where you see Limit Data Rate, have a check mark next to it and type in 10000 for the kbps field.

When you are entering the Frame Width and Frame Height, remove the chain looking link in the small box to the right of those choices.

Do that my clicking on the link. That will enable you to type in the 1920 and 1080.

Let us see if the above workflow leads to success.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                      TannaCoolStuff Level 1

In this step---The Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and

Folders/Project Assets to bring your .mov file into the project and to the

Timeline.

When trying to bring the project into my timeline, the name of my project

isn't highlighted...

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

Please re-consider the details....

The goal is this

1. Set the project settings in File Menu/New/Project with the details that I have already posted.

2. When you have completed setting the project preset manually, make sure you are back in the Expert workspace.

3. Important. You are not going to import a project into the Timeline. You have an open project and that is what is open waiting for you to

drag source media to its Expert workspace Timeline. What you are going to import into the open project is your source .mov file from wherever it is saved on the computer. Using Add Media/Files and Folders, you navigate to that computer save location and from there import the .mov file into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Then you drag the .mov file from Project Assets to the Timeline.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above details. If I have not targeted the issue that you currently have, please give more details, and I will think about this some more in the light of more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                          TannaCoolStuff Level 1

I'm not able to adjust the width and height to what you have on your image

• 11. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                            TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Right now, so far, I've imported my source file and am trying to export that one file, which I've already preset to the initial settings you suggested... and these are the export setting i'm trying to adjust now that that one file is on my timeline.

• 12. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                              TannaCoolStuff Level 1

So, to clarify, i'm am only supposed to try to export one source file (that i've imported - after some other steps, of course - from project assets) with the export settings you suggest?

• 13. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

If you cannot type in the 1920 x 1080 in the Frame Width and Frame Height fields respectively, most likely....

Is there a chain link in the small box to the right of those fields? If so, click on the link to remove it.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

You can import as many files to the Timeline as many files as you want (that is, supported by your computer resources) once the project preset is established by you. Just do the importing after you have completed your manual setting of the project preset via that File Menu/New/Project.

ATR

• 16. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                    TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Okay, so I think I may have left a piece of information out..I made a huge project recently (the four minute one that i talked about at the start of this thread) and that is what i was trying to export in the first place. i used another trouble shooting adobe resource to figure out how to export that project. i figured out how to export it, however, when exporting that project, the final export is does not fit the 1920x1080 frame size, i.e. there is a black box around the edges of final project after it is exported and the movie file is smaller than the screen it has to fit inside of. based on what you'd given me to work with, I guess I didn't start with the proper wrong presets when making that project and that is why it did not export properly (where it would fit the playback screen). Is there a way for me to import a whole completed project into the timeline with proper initial settings so that i don't have to redo the entire project i worked on for the past week?  or is my only option to start over my completed work (with the wrong presets, i guess) in a new project using the presets you've given me to work with?

• 17. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

Do you still have the project which resulted in the export with fairly large black borders around the whole image?

If you do, go back to that project and export it with the correct export settings.

I suspect that you may have set up a 16:9 project and exported with 4:3 settings.

One scenario could have been that you started with a 1080i 16:9 project preset (1080i the default of the project) and exported that to a choice where the default is not consistent with your project settings, probably 4:3.  In that case, you go under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset and customize so that its settings are consistent with those of the project.

Please remind me what you started with and how you setup the export...going to need complete details on this.

You could look at importing your this file with the black borders into Premiere Elements set with the correct project preset and then scaling the image in the Edit area monitor to the extend that the black borders are gone. Zoom in look. Then export with settings consistent with the project settings, especially in terms of aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9.....if 16:9 import then 16:9 export.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                        TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Thanks, I'll get started on what I can. In the meantime, how would I go about importing the project I've complete into a new premiere elements project? When I've tried that in the past (simply reimporting it) the project I saved wasn't highlighted/available for me to be able for importing it into another new project the with correct presets.. In other words, I could see the saved project that I was trying to import, but the project I saved wasn't highlighted/wasn't a clickable option for me to import.

Sent from my iPhone

• 19. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                          TannaCoolStuff Level 1

Exporting worked! No more black box.. Thanks!

It seems for now my issue is resolved. I used the export settings you gave me in the image and used them on the project I was having the issues exporting.

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: Why is my video not exporting into a quick time file?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

TannaCoolStuff

Regarding your post numbered 18....

You cannot import one project file (.prel) into another project file (.prel). So one choice (if Mac user) or two choices (if Windows user).

Windows...

Export the Timeline of project 1 to a file, using export settings consistent with the project settings of project 1 and the preset settings of project 2.

Then import the project 1 export into project 2, using project 2's Add Media/Files and Folders.

or

Use ClipMate (Windows Only) in conjunction with Premiere Elements to do a copy/paste insert between project 1 and 2. Details are in the following link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

For your Mac

Export the Timeline of project 1 to a file, using export settings consistent with the project settings of project 1 and the preset settings of project 2.

Then import the project 1 export into project 2, using project 2's Add Media/Files and Folders.

Regarding your post numbered 19

Magnificent news. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR