11 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 4:46 PM by A.T. Romano

How to keep original video quality

LN66

I work on a Windows 8.1 PC.

I use Premiere Elements 11 and have some old HI8 video that has been digitized by professionals.

This was done a few years ago and the result was mpeg files.

The files are large and hard to work with (4.27 GB / 1 hour 30 minutes) so I want to cut them down into shorter films for each occasion.

This works fine except the quality is not as good as the original.

I don't add any effects, I just cut the film into smaller pieces and remove parts that are no good.

The problem is now how I keep the orginal quality as is. I would really just like an option that says source quality output or something like that.

I have exported as MPEG2-DVD, PAL, 720x576 etc. Wherever possible I have chosen "Automatic (based on source)".

Comparing the properties of the output file with the original they seem to match.

The quality does not.

Is there a simple way to just keep the quality?

• 1. Re: How to keep original video quality
          A.T. Romano Level 7

In66

Your source files appear to be 720 x 576 (assumed standard  4:3). What is the frame rate - 25 interlaced or progressive frames per second?

In what format are these originals - video compression, audio compression, file extension, and bitrate?

I have not found the Premiere Elements advanced export setting "Automatic (based on source)" to be reliable, so, at least during the troubleshooting, please enter the customized export setting rather than letting the project do this automatically.

What I would like to get a look at are details for the properties of the source files and how you have been customizing those advanced expert settings.

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to keep original video quality
            jmklein Level 1

I use a free app called VideoToVideo (http://www.videotovideo.org/) to break my long GoPro footage into a few small clips of the footage I want to keep.

It has a splitter feature that just lets you mark in and out points, and splits off that section as a separate file, without re-encoding, etc, so the split files are the same quality as the original.

• 3. Re: How to keep original video quality
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jmklein

In the link to your convert software, the description of its splitter feature matches what Premiere Elements can do.

According to your free converter's description of its video splitter feature...

Has a built-in Video Splitter with which you can cut out parts of the video that you find interesting, so you don’t convert the entire video

It mentions nothing about export and no encoding and getting the trim out of the software without encoding.

How do you get the cut out out of this software without encoding it. The product description makes no mention of that. Whereas for all intents and purposes, Premiere Elements Timeline source media needs to export to get out of the project, and export involves encoding.

Please clarify.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to keep original video quality
                jmklein Level 1

ATR,

I am not in front of my main computer right now, so I will just let you know from memory.  I didn't see any screen-prints of this feature on their site.

Once the app is launched, go to Tools --> Split Video.  Another smaller screen will pop up.  From that screen, open the source video file.  It will load in the viewer.  Then proceed to play the video.  Mark your in( [ ) and out( ] ) points.  When you have a segment marked, select Add Segment.  You can do this one to many times in the clip.  When finished marking up the clip, select Done (or OK), I can't remember.  Then you will be back to the main screen with your segments listed.  Select Convert, then chose the encoding.  The encoding I choose is something like Direct Copy, or something similar to that;  I can't remember exactly, and your video will be split into one file for each segment.  Check the Options for output destination.

It is almost immediate, which suggests no re-encoding.  Not sure how it does it without re-encoding, but it works from what I can tell.  Just last night I had a 800MB clip that only had a few short sections of what I wanted.  Once I broke them out, the few files added up to only 10-20MB, and I deleted the big 800MB once I had everything backed up.  Saves space and time not having to watch the entire video length each time I want to find the part I am interested in.

If you need more exact steps with screen prints, I will have to do that later.

• 5. Re: How to keep original video quality
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jmklein

Thanks for the reply with details of the Video Splitter feature which you believe will allow you to cut out a video segment and get that segment out of the software essentially with no re-encoding....as is.

As your time permits, it would be great if you could get some information on the feature's no re-encoding.

There have many times when visitors here have looked for such a program with such a feature. In the meanwhile I will do some looking into the Video Splitter feature of your suggested free converter software.

Thanks again.

ATR

Add On...I have just now emailed the offerer of the free software via the Contact link on its web page. I will let you know if and what reply I receive on the re-encoding question.

• 6. Re: How to keep original video quality
                    jmklein Level 1

ATR,

I can't really find any documentation that no re-encoding is taking place.  I'll have to do a bit of digging and comparing of the original and the output files to see if I can prove that no re-encoding is taking place.

Here are the exact steps; the encoding option is called Direct Stream Copy.

1. Tools-->Split Video-->File(Load Source File)
                    2. Set in/out points-->Add segment-->OK
                    3. Choose Direct Stream Copy-->OK
                    4. Select clips to convert-->click convert.
                    • 7. Re: How to keep original video quality
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jmklein

Thanks for the follow up.

I have not yet gotten a reply on this matter from the group making this free converter software available.

The Direct Stream Copy makes me think one thing, while the next step convert makes me think another way.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to keep original video quality
                        LN66 Level 1

ATR

I'm just looking at the properties of the file in windows which says;

720x576

It does not sat 4:3 but it is.

Data rate (don't know the correct english term): 8550 kbit/s

Total bitrate: 8806 kbit/s

Framerate: 25 fps

In addition it talks about audio, but that is not the problem.

I don't know how to get any more infor about the file.

Should I interpret the response such that PE11 does not have an easy option for simply preserving the original quality?

LN66

• 9. Re: How to keep original video quality
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LN66

Do not give up yet.

Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot. Open your file in that to give us whether interlaced or progressive video, and, if interlaced whether or not the Field Order is Upper Field First or Lower Field First (sometimes named Top Field First or Bottom Field First).

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

gspotreadout.JPG

Please post a screenshot of your video's GSpot readout. Do you get any of the black rectangles under Pics/ line to show up with green text? If you do, hold you mouse cursor over the black rectangle with green letters, and tell us what you see given when you do that.

Right now, these are the video properties we need to match

720 x 576 (so we have frame width and frame height) - you gave that

Frame Rate is 25 frames per second - you gave that

Data Rate (Bitrate) = 8806 kbps (kilobits per second) - you gave that

Yet to be gotten:

interlaced progressive

file extension

and

audio codec and info (which should include Hz and bitrate values.

If you have any problems posting a screenshot of the GSpot readout, then will refer to the following for assitance in doing that.

The specified item was not found.

We need the properties of the original so we know what we have to match up against. I prefer not to depend on a Same  As Source or Match Source feature in when we are trying to set up can do procedures.

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above. This should be a can do task.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to keep original video quality
                            LN66 Level 1

Here is the screen shot

screenshot.jpg

interlaced - bottom field first

mpg

Audio: 48kHz, 256kb/s

I notice that the tool says 8964 kb/s as system bitrate...

LN66

• 11. Re: How to keep original video quality
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LN66

Thanks for the video audio properties read out for your source media that you want to export from Premiere Elements with a close as possible match between import and export properties.

Based on the video audio properties readout, you should be able to get a good match between import and export

a. Import with project preset = PAL DV Standard

(Set project preset manually for PAL DV Standard

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

For export, Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DV Standard.

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab, do some preset customization.

Audio.

Only change there is the bitrate. Set to 256 kbps (kilobits per second)

MPEG2BitrateAudio.JPG

MPEG2VideoTab.JPGVideo

Here the critical part is going to be setting the bitrate

VBR (variable bitrate)

Minimum

Target

Maximum

This is going to take some exploration and experimentation. For a first try at this I am going to suggest

Minimum Bitrate = 3.5 Mbps (megabits per second)

Target Bitrate = 6.2 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate = 9.0 Mbps (megabits per second)

Do not let any of the fields be entered automatic (same as). Type in the values yourself.

Let us see how you do with those settings.

Thanks for following up on the suggestions.

ATR

Add On...more information coming soon.