5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 12:54 PM by MergeThis

whMessage is undefined

KDokken
      When RoboHelp project file was compiled and published for the first time, the project will not load into IE. I get the error message: 'whMessage' is undefined.

I can't any information on the internet as to what this error message means and how to solve it.
        • 1. Re: whMessage is undefined
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Can you tell us at what point you get the error? Does it occur on your published output? What happens if you open the output manually. I'm assuming you are using webhelp format by the error message.
          • 2. Re: whMessage is undefined
            KDokken Level 1
            It occurs after I've compiled and published the project to a network drive and then try to open the main project htm page to display the Help project in IE. (our main page is not named index.htm but something else)

I don't know what you mean about opening output manually. I'm a technical writer with no experience in software and the only one in my company using this product. We are using it to add customized help files to a DB system with a web interface that already had a Robohelp generated online help system that came with it and we wish to add customized content to it to match how we've customized this system.
            • 3. Re: whMessage is undefined
              MergeThis Level 4
              You said: "web interface that already had a Robohelp generated online help system that came with it."

Have you imported those output Webhelp files into a new project? That won't work.

See Peter Grainge's site on reverse engineering, for turning the output files into something you can use.

Good luck,
              Leon
              • 4. Re: whMessage is undefined
                KDokken Level 1
                We were never given the original project files for the system. What I did was create a new project and then manually import each htm page according to how RoboHelp said to do it in its tutorials and created a new TOC from scratch to match how the original help system looked. Visually we made the new project match what the existing help system looked like but its really just a complete new copy that was made from scratch.
                • 5. Re: whMessage is undefined
                  MergeThis Level 4
                  Unfortunately, the htm pages you imported, because they were output files, contained a lot of code that does not belong in source files. What you've created is a large fur ball.

Good luck,
                  Leon