7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 11:45 AM by johnl5086273

Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?

wittauthor

Is there a way to customize the photo boxes instead of using the templates?  In other words, create my own photo boxes and text boxes however, wherever, I'd like?

• 1. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Templates are fixed, they cannot be altered. However the 'Padding' can be adjusted to position an image within a template cell.

A work-around is to design a full page (as in Blurb album options) in the PRINT module using the "Custom Package" to design your cells (boxes) then 'Print to JPG' to use  'full page' in the Book.

• 2. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?
            johnl5086273

Fixed templates and no option to add borders to photos makes Lightroom BOOK useless for previous users of Aperture. Moving/ altering the photo in PRINT module and exporting as JPG would be helpful but there is no option to add text cells in PRINT.

Why have Adobe ignored requests for these normal requirements in a Book module for so long?

I have changed to Lightroom from Aperture because I initially found so many things better in Lightroom than Aperture, but now that I need to create a book with text, as I did many times in Aperture, I am stumped.

• 3. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?

As a Lightroom 'learner' I can only suggest work-arounds for those features we would like but Adobe never includes.

Can you give us a clue (a sketch?) as to what page design you would like.

Borders around images- My work-around is to either apply a 'stroke' in the Print module to jpg, Create borders in Photoshop, or use Nik Silver Efex to add borders before adding the image to a book.

As for the available LR templates with text- Are there none close to your needs?

Even applying "Page Text" in the Text panel is quite adaptable- the cell size expands with type, it can be offset, and the text cell padding adjusted.

So with a 'collage' image from the custom print module and Page Text you should be able to get something close.

ScreenShot105.jpg

• 4. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?

And just a quick 'Muck about' example-

ScreenShot106.jpg

• 5. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?
                  johnl5086273 Level 1

Thanks for the reply - I see your suggested work arounds could work but I have come to conclusion that the best answer is to export all the pictures required in my travel book as JPG and then import them back into Aperture so that I can used all the features in the Aperture BOOK module to achieve the results I am use to. Light room BOOK does not have Ruler, Grid & Guides so it would be difficult to know that a paragraph of text in BOOK would be the correct dimensions to fit over a page of pictures composed in PRINT. The travel diary book I am starting work on will run to two volumes of 60 pages each with blocks of text on most pages and 1 to 12 pictures per pages.

How do we put pressure on Adobe to combine the features in PRINT with BOOK?

• 6. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?

Better the things we know than those we don't!

Like you, Johnl, I often find there are different/better programs to do a job as I would like. So it is either- accept the limitations or look elsewhere. But Keep the requests coming!

Sounds like a good option for you to export jpgs to Aperture.

I am sure that many use alternative software to design their books.

I can suggest online sites to help with book design-

Lightroom Training Videos « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Lightroom CC - Working with Text in The Book Module - YouTube

• 7. Re: Customizable Photo boxes when creating a book?
                      johnl5086273 Level 1

Thanks for the link to Julieanne Kost's training videos, I had discovered them soon after starting to learn Lightroom and found Julieanne very helpful, very good at explaining the intricacies and where all the commands can be found.