7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 2:25 PM by carls1

Lighroom Color Space

carls1

When Printing to File or Exporting in LR, can anyone clarify if LR actually converts the color space to the selected profile, or is it simply embedding the specified profile?  To make matters more confusing, knowing that LR's native color space is MelissaRGB, if the selected profile is being embedded, what color space is LR converting images to on Export or Print to File?  I know that there is the External Editing preference to convert to ProPhoto, AdobeRGB, or sRGB when sending to Photoshop.  However, there is no such preference for Print or Export.

Thanks all!

• 1. Re: Lighroom Color Space
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The profile you select when printing or exporting—yes you can select a profile for each—is what LR converts the image data to, otherwise profiles would be useless, if everything was MelissaRGB but a different profile was embedded, right?

• 2. Re: Lighroom Color Space
            carls1 Level 1

That's what I had thought, but then when I open an image exported from LR into Photoshop (just as a test, I know I can go directly to Photoshop), the profile mismatch tells me that the profile I selected in LR is "Embedded."  My guess is that I'm confusing "Embedded" and "Converted".

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: Lighroom Color Space
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

"Embedded" is what is contained in the file. If there is not embedded profile, viewing programs have to supply a default profile.

Your editor has a default profile that it is configured to use. For LR this is ProPhotoRGB, PS is often AdobeRGB. When you load an image into the editor where the profile in the file (embedded) does not match the editor's "working" profile, you get prompted for how to resolve the mismatch:

- use the profile contained (embedded) in the file, or

- convert the file's profile to the editor's "working" profile.

• 4. Re: Lighroom Color Space
                thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

carls1 wrote:

When Printing to File or Exporting in LR, can anyone clarify if LR actually converts the color space to the selected profile, or is it simply embedding the specified profile?

It converts and embeds whatever profile you asked for when configuring Print or Export.

To make matters more confusing, knowing that LR's native color space is MelissaRGB, if the selected profile is being embedded, what color space is LR converting images to on Export or Print to File? 

Melissa RGB is the name of the color space used for the Histogram and RGB values when you are not in a soft proof mode. This is ProPhoto RGB primaries (thus gamut) with an sRGB like TRC (tone curve). The actual processing color space used has no name, it's also ProPhoto RGB primaries but a linear (1.0) TRC. This internal space is used if you do any editing of the data. If not, say you import an sRGB document and print or export, then this unnamed color space plays no role.

• 5. Re: Lighroom Color Space
                  carls1 Level 1

Thanks all.  Reason for the question is that Fuji Frontier printers (Costco) require that an image be converted to the provided icc profile.  The profiler's directions specifically state that the image must have been converted rather than just having the profile embedded.  I guess Fuji printers are incapable of reading embedded color information.  The semantics of "embedded" seem to have multiple applications.  However, the way I'm understanding it, as long as I Export or Print from LR and specify the printer's profile, I should be good. 

...I think.... 

Just for discussion's sake, how would one go about leaving an image in a working color space such as AdobeRGB and then "embedding" a specific output device profile (without converting)?

Costco printing has been discussed in other Adobe forums.  However, I couldn't seem to find this exact line of questioning covered anywhere. 

• 6. Re: Lighroom Color Space
                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

carls1 wrote:

Reason for the question is that Fuji Frontier printers (Costco) require that an image be converted to the provided icc profile.  The profiler's directions specifically state that the image must have been converted rather than just having the profile embedded.

You can't convert and not embed the correct profile in LR. You could do this in Photoshop but you'd have to go out of your way to do this and the image would look awful on-screen. You'd have to conduct multiple steps to do so too.

The semantics of "embedded" seem to have multiple applications.

Embed, tag, they all mean that the ICC Profile itself is embedded into the document.

• 7. Re: Lighroom Color Space
                      carls1 Level 1

Thanks All.