11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 1:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media

waynes66692709 Level 1

Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media

• 1. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
          A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

What version of Premiere Elements Elements Organizer and on what computer operating system.

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 13/13.1 ElementsOrganizer 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8,or 8.1 64 bit.

The Elements Organizer "Error Deleting Media" message can be difficult to get rid of. When that seems to refuse to delete, I often create a new catalog - Elements Organizer workspace File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager. But, you could try the Catalog Manager's Repair or Optimize catalog to see if that could be your solution.

You could also consider deleting or disabling the Elements Organizer settings file psa.prf. In Windows 7, 8,or 8.1 64 bit, the path to the file is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it to psa.prfOLD. Make sure you do not have files and folders hidden - See Folder Options.

Please review and consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
            waynes66692709 Level 1

I use Windows 7 and Photoshop premiere elements 12.  I deleted Premiere elements 12 software on my computer and reloaded it

and same files appeared on my computer in the organizer.  My computer has two hard drives. Software is loaded on "C" drive.  Hope this was helpful

• 3. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
              A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

Thanks for the reply, but have you deleted or disabled the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 settings file (psa.prf) yet as suggested?

And, what about catalog Repair and Optimization, have you tried those yet? Have you done that in the Elements Organizer File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager?

How extensive is your current catalog from which you cannot delete files?

We will be watching for additional details for the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 4. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                waynes66692709 Level 1

My computer knowledge is limited about different files.  Is there a phone support number I can call?  This only occurs when

trying to delete video files.  Now another video file appeared in the organizer I'm not able to delete. I have about 50 files in organizer and three

are video which I don't need.  Not sure how to delete organizer.  Can you provide step by step information.  Will settle for empty organizer if necessary because I can

back up my 50  files.  I thought by deleting software  and reload would fix problem but all files reappeared.

• 5. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

You are unlikely to get any help in this matter since Adobe support has been via online Chat and for current version. Even the Adobe Chat for current version (13/13.1) is limited (typically to activation and orders). There is no Adobe phone support for Elements that I have ever found.

You cannot delete or uninstall the Elements Organizer 12 alone. The Elements Organizer 12 comes with Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12. So, to get rid of Elements Organizer, you uninstall what you have Photoshop Elements 12 and/or Premiere Elements 12. Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 are standalone products, each coming with an Elements Organizer 12. When the two are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer.

Based on what you have written, the easiest way out of this situation is creating a new catalog for the Elements Organizer 12 that you have. To do that you open the Elements Organizer 12, go to its File Menu/Manage Catalog/Catalog Manager and create a new catalog. The new catalog will then become the working catalog whether you open it from Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above and what supplemental information you need for you to carry out the suggestion.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                    waynes66692709 Level 1

I went ahead and created a new catalog.  Now I'm starting fresh with new catalog.  All files now gone

from organizer.  Does that mean they are still stored in my computer somewhere? If so I will have my computer wiped clean.

Thanks for you help

• 7. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

When you have created a new catalog, there will be no thumbnails in it (except for sample audio files if you select that option for the new catalog).

The old catalog where your files thumbnails will not delete still exists but is closed when the new catalog is opened.

When the new catalog is opened, you can remove the whole old catalog when you are in the Catalog Manager and you select the old catalog name, followed by Remove. If need be, I can tell you where to find the old catalog on the hard drive. Again, removing the old catalog should not remove the hard drive originals files to which it traced back.

What is in the Elements Organizer are thumbnails that trace back to the originals which are saved to the computer hard. You have not deleted the originals on the hard drive.

You can use File Menu/ Get Photo and Files/..... to navigate to the hard drive save locations for the originals and import them into the new catalog. You do not want to delete the originals from the hard drive.

Please review and consider. Please do not do any deletion until your are OK with the comments. If not OK with the comments, please let us know, and we will clarify as you indicate.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                        waynes66692709 Level 1

Ok, I've removed the old catalog in the organizer using the catalog manager.  Now tell me how to remove it from the hard drive.

• 9. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

You should be able to remove the catalog either using Remove in the Catalog Manager or

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

in the Catalogs Folder you should find the catalog folder specific named for the catalog that you seek and want to delete.

After you delete the catalog there and open the Elements Organizer File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager again, that deleted catalog should be gone from the Catalog Manager list of catalogs.

Please consider and let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Trying to delete file in organizer.  Keep getting message error deleting media
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

waynes

Wonderful news "All is well. Once again."

You did a great job sorting through the Elements Organizer thumbnails will not delete issue.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements Element Organizer workflows.

ATR