6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2006 1:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

index page messed up

coachingparker
      I tried to repair a messed up index page a week or so ago. I created an indexcopy page, fixed the formatting, and then replaced the original index page with the new page which I renamed index.html, etc. IT seemed to upload and works fine online. BUt when I returned a week or two later I found I cannot access my remote files although my FTP connection tests out fine. While trying to figure this out I also discovered gobs of broken local files for my index page (perhaps the old one??) . Strangely, the new page's links work fine (e.g., www.givemheaven.org) I just can't do anything else to update my site becuase I can't access the remote pages! Help and/or Ideas anyone? John
        • 1. Re: index page messed up
          Level 7
          Did you create this in Word and save as Web Page?
          Jo

"coachingparker" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e3rt1a$baf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I tried to repair a messed up index page a week or so ago. I created an
          > indexcopy page, fixed the formatting, and then replaced the original index
          > page
          > with the new page which I renamed index.html, etc. IT seemed to upload
          > and
          > works fine online. BUt when I returned a week or two later I found I
          > cannot
          > access my remote files although my FTP connection tests out fine. While
          > trying
          > to figure this out I also discovered gobs of broken local files for my
          > index
          > page (perhaps the old one??) . Strangely, the new page's links work fine
          > (e.g., www.givemheaven.org) I just can't do anything else to update my
          > site
          > becuase I can't access the remote pages! Help and/or Ideas anyone? John
          >

• 2. Re: index page messed up
            Level 7
            This seems a bit strange. When you say you created a new indexcopy page -
            how did you creat that? Did you save the original index page as indexcopy in
            a defined DW site. If you did, you would have been asked to update all the
            links?

If you uploaded all the new files and they work remotely, do you not have
            them on your local site as well.?

If you have broken links in your local pages, then you must not have worked
            in the DW window... a few more explanatory steps that you took may get you
            more help

Have you tried connecting via ftp using a shareware program ( I assume you
            mean you can't connect via ftp with DW).?
            as you can see lots of questions, but not enough detail from you to get more
            specific help.

--
            Nadia
            Adobe� Community Expert : Dreamweaver
            --------------------------------------------
            http://www.csstemplates.com.au - CSS Templates | Free Templates
            --------------------------------------------
            http://www.DreamweaverResources.com - Dropdown Menu Templates|Tutorials
            http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html - CSS Tutorials
            -------------------------------------------------

news:e3rt1a$baf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I tried to repair a messed up index page a week or so ago. I created an
            > indexcopy page, fixed the formatting, and then replaced the original index
            > page
            > with the new page which I renamed index.html, etc. IT seemed to upload
            > and
            > works fine online. BUt when I returned a week or two later I found I
            > cannot
            > access my remote files although my FTP connection tests out fine. While
            > trying
            > to figure this out I also discovered gobs of broken local files for my
            > index
            > page (perhaps the old one??) . Strangely, the new page's links work fine
            > (e.g., www.givemheaven.org) I just can't do anything else to update my
            > site
            > becuase I can't access the remote pages! Help and/or Ideas anyone? John
            >

• 3. Re: index page messed up
              coachingparker Level 1
              Did you create this in Word and save as Web Page?
              Jo

No, Jo, I used my Dreamweaver MX 2004 and created it as an .HTML page. I believe I took my template page that I had already used for a number of additional pages in my site, and cut and pasted photos and such to it from the old index page. All the links seemed to okay. Then I somehow replaced the index page with my new one. I did all this becuase the original had gotten messed up in the tables and I couldn't fix it.
              • 4. Re: index page messed up
                coachingparker Level 1
                Hi Nadia:

This seems a bit strange. I agree>

When you say you created a new indexcopy page -
                how did you creat that?

See my answer to Jo

Did you save the original index page as indexcopy in
                a defined DW site.

No. Again, see my answer to Jo. I used another template page and then cut and pasted my original index page items to it. and all the links worked. And they still do. I just cant access my remote files anymore even though my FTP connects fine when I test it.

I just looked and I still have a file named indexcopy1.html that looks like it was the messed up index.html page originally.

If you did, you would have been asked to update all the
                links?

I don't recall being asked.

If you uploaded all the new files and they work remotely, do you not have
                them on your local site as well?

Yes I do. and they work fine.

If you have broken links in your local pages, then you must not have worked
                in the DW window... a few more explanatory steps that you took may get you
                more help

Yes, it's the only placed I worked on changing the page over to a new one.

Have you tried connecting via ftp using a shareware program ( I assume you
                mean you can't connect via ftp with DW).?

I have another website in my Dreamwever that connects fine with my same FTP provider. and my account is paid Maybe I'd better talk to them.

as you can see lots of questions, but not enough detail from you to get more
                specific help.

How nice of you to ask Thank you.

Any revelations?

Text
                • 5. Re: index page messed up
                  coachingparker Level 1
                  Guess what? I just turned on my website in DREAMWEAVER and clicked and IT CONNECTED! After 4 days of not connecting. I'm really suspicious that my FTP provider was mankeying around at their end asx they are going through a merger.

So that's the good news. Thanks for your help and concern.

My only question that remains is: What do I do with all the broken links listed as associated with my index.html page? I suspect they are from the old page or something. Can I delete them ? If so, how?

Thanks
                  John
                  • 6. Re: index page messed up
                    Level 7
                    I'm glad it's sorted out - you said
                    >I have another website in my Dreamwever that connects fine with my same FTP
                    >provider.
                    so that's curious.
                    At the bottom of the screen (DW8, sorry, I can't remember about earlier DWs)
                    there's a Results drop-down menu, use Link Checker - delete those you don't
                    need.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Jo

news:e3uksg$1f7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Guess what? I just turned on my website in DREAMWEAVER and clicked and
                    > IT
                    > CONNECTED! After 4 days of not connecting. I'm really suspicious that
                    > my FTP
                    > provider was mankeying around at their end asx they are going through a
                    > merger.
                    >
                    >
                    > So that's the good news. Thanks for your help and concern.
                    >
                    > My only question that remains is: What do I do with all the broken links
                    > listed as associated with my index.html page? I suspect they are from the
                    > old
                    > page or something. Can I delete them ? If so, how?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > John
                    >