3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 7:40 PM by SeanMcCormack

Syncing between Macs, not Mac and iPad

cascadesjohn Level 1

I want my MacBook Pro and my Mac mini to sync my Lightroom photos library between them.  I'm finding lots of information on Lightroom Mobile, but I am interested in syncing between two computers, not one computer and an iPad.  Can you advise?  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Syncing between Macs, not Mac and iPad
          SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom mobile isn't designed this way, so you can't use it for that. How I sync between computers stems from a want of ease. I just keep all the files and the catalog on a fast external drive that I move between computers. I have tried using Dropbox for the catalog,  but it really runs the risk of catalog corruption and I'd had a few conflicted catalog copies, where there have been issues. Even if you don't get corrupted, the conflicted catalogs may contains edits that were done and didn't transfer to the newest version of the catalog.

Would I like Lightroom to do this automatically? Of course, but as LRm uses Smart Previews, rather than original files, I think it's way off at the moment.

• 2. Re: Syncing between Macs, not Mac and iPad
            cascadesjohn Level 1

Thanks, seanmcfoto.  So, just to soothe my sense of insecurity, as an example, I might do some editing. catalog-altering, importing via computer A and those results would be on the attached external drive at that point.  Then I could hook up the external drive to computer B and all I have to do is access the newly edited photos, recent imports, etc. on computer B?  And vice versa.  There is no digital "signal" that attaches the photo library, catalog, etc. to the copy of LR on one computer and not the other, right?  Thanks for sticking with me on this.

• 3. Re: Syncing between Macs, not Mac and iPad
              SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Once the catalog and the photos are on the external drive, Lightroom will have no trouble. You do need to shut Lightroom down before removing the external drive though. If you were on PC, you'd need to make sure the drive letters were the same for the external drive on both machines, but as you're on Mac, it does a better job identifying the drive.

Right now, I've the large external (a 4TB -G Raid) home from the studio where I'm running the catalog that I use in the studio here at home on my Macbook Air-from the external of course.