18 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 12:12 AM by JFPhoton

I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

alexhackney

I upgraded from a NVIDIA GTS 460 with 1GB of VRAM to a GTX970 with 4GB of VRAM GDDR5.

I really thought I would see some improvement on my exports or at least in editing.

This has turned out not to be the case, is that normal? Was I wishful thinking?

Alex

• 1. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It all depends upon your computer specs, media, and effects applied.

What operating system?

Processor and speed?

How much RAM?

How many and what kind of hard drives and their setup?

What type of media?

What effects are applied?

• 2. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
            alexhackney Level 1

I've got a windows 7 pro machine with

core i7 2600k 3.4ghz

16gb DDR3

2ssds one system, one media

H264 20mb/s from a canon g30

One seq with a couple cuts, cross fades and a title. Total is like 3

minutes.

I exported two versions, one on preset hd29.97p and one preset vimeo 1080p.

On the old card, export took 3:09. I switched the cards and reinstalled the

latest driver for the new card and the same exact export set up took 3:15.

I thought the better card would at least decrease the output time?

• 3. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

I think that is only a quad core processor. If so, my guess is that the processor or your hard drive setup would need to be improved in order for the GPU to have more of an effect.  Is GPU acceleration enabled?

• 4. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                alexhackney Level 1

So I should have 3 drives? System, media and cache?

The processor is quad core but 8 thread. Its an 1150 slot so I can switch

to one of the newer i7s.

I don't game much anymore should I go for a different card in place of the

970?

• 5. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

Scroll down to the categories here:

Tweakers Page

• 6. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

as peru bob suggests, it depends on the media, effects and codecs. premiere doesnt use the gpu to encode h264, just to decode. premiere is still very heavily a cpu based program. the more gpu based effects you add the more you will see the benefit of a faster gpu. the other thing to note is the new version of premiere is integrating speedgrade, which is needs a fast gpu, so i would hang on to the gtx 970 just for that. if you want to see what your gpu is doing while working in premiere you can use GPU-Z.

• 7. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                      alexhackney Level 1

I know this is off topic but I'll ask anyways since this thread is humming.

What about after effects work, should I see I benefit here when

rotoscoping or doing animations?

Also do any of you think it's worth going to 25601440 from 19201200 when

I mostly work in 1080p? I have just gotten a pa248b bit think I should have

gotten the pa278q. Any thoughts?

• 8. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

AE is seriously outdated code, it basically only uses the gpu for 3d ray-tracing, and thats being dropped since its no longer supported by the new nvidia cards such as the gtx 970, and since AE now has C4D lite. they are said to be updating AE to be a modern app, but who knows when that will happen.

GPU changes (for CUDA and OpenGL) in After Effects CC (12.1) | After Effects region of interest

GPU for After Effects

for the monitors, it depends if you have multiple monitors or just one. if just one, then a big one will be better, to get everything you can on one screen and still see it. i have a 27" 1920x1080 and find myself fighting panels for space from time to time. so the 2560x1440 or perhaps an ultra wide 21:9 monitor might be a good choice.

• 9. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                          alexhackney Level 1

I had two and was planning to go to 1 and a TV for preview.

• 10. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

thats what i have, 1 for premiere, 1 for playback. the program/preview monitor panel in premiere cannot be closed or it will not output the video to the second monitor. it also cant be buried under another panel tab, as it will keep returning to focus. you can undock the panel and move it to the other screen, which will then hide it under the full screen playback, or you can just shrink the panel size down to have it use only a sliver of space.  it mostly depends on preference, some like to have every panel open to have quick access to everything, some only want/need a few panels and dont need alot of screen space.

• 11. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You would need much more CPU power to be able to properly feed the GTX 970.  The GTX 970 is a terrible overkill for your systerm. If you would like to see what the best the GTX 970 can do for you, download the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and when you export the MPEG2-DVD timeline with GPU acceleration enabled and export again without GPU acceleration you will see a significant difference.  Unless you use a number of MPE enabled features and effects in you workflow it will not show any difference.  With my i7-2600K (highly tuned and slightly overclocked) and a GTX 660 with the CPU-only test it takes 1089 seconds to export that timeline.  With the GPU enabled it exports in 45 seconds.  Great performance improvement.  If you do not see a difference with your media then you are not using any GPU accelerated features or effects

• 12. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                                alexhackney Level 1

I'm leaning towards returning it and getting a 960gtx and a newer i7.

Thoughts?

• 13. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

alexhackney wrote:

What about after effects work, should I see I benefit here when

rotoscoping or doing animations?

AE doesn't use GPU acceleration.  Processor speed and RAM is key.

• 14. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?

a new i7 cpu will require a new mbd, and possibly new ddr4 ram if you get the latest & greatest cpu. if saving $100 on a video card, to spend $500-$1800 on a new cpu setup makes sense to you then sure. but then when you upgrade to that new cpu premiere may make more use of the gpu and your gtx 960 may be lacking.

if/when you do upgrade you can put back in the old gts 460 into your current i7-2600k and sell it or have that machine do something else. then the new pc you build can use the gtx 970. or if you want to buy a pre-built system with a video card included, you can return the gtx 970 and go back to the gts 460 now.

• 15. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                                      alexhackney Level 1

Ok. That makes sense. I think what I'm going to do is this.

I'm going to keep the 970. My 460 only had 2 dvi and a mini hdmi. The new card here has display ports and full size hdmi. Plus it is a decent card and I think I got an ok deal on it.

I was looking at a larger 2560x1440 monitor from asus that runs $430. I'm going to forego that for now and go with the lower price acer 2560x1440.

Then in about a month I'll just bite the bullet and go for a hex core processor, mb and ddr4 ram.

Then maybe I can sell the older pc for a couple hundred or use it for a video playback unit for my mobile event setup.

• 16. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                                        JFPhoton Level 3

....I have the Acer K272HUL  2560 x 1440p IPS monitor that received very good reviews and I can tell you it is AWESOME !! It was on sale for  $299 and especially for a 27" monitor is a great value.....the pixel density is perfect for the size screen and running at 60 frames per second makes 1440p video look like 4K !! Buy TWO of them !!

Bill Gehrke is right....download and run his PPBM8 benchmark test to see how your machine runs. You need to overclock your CPU to over 4Ghz...maybe you can get 4.5....would be a good start to increasing performance.

Next, you have not mentioned the version of PPro you are using. The newest version makes more use of system memory to improve performance AND also handles 4K better than previous versions.

The quality of your SSDs could be an issue...they are not all the same. Crucial M550s, or, the more expensive Samsung 850 Pro series SSDs are recommended because they handle "incompressible data " well and have great write speeds , as well as read speeds.....some SSDs using Sandforce controllers are hampered in the write speeds and also lose performance over time after reaching the "steady state" where the Crucials and Samsungs don't. The PPBM test will indicate your drive speed and if it negatively affecting performance.

Bill is also right concerning that if little,or, no GPU Mercury accelerated effects are being used on the timeline, the exporting performance will NOT be aided by the GPU......the video encoding will be done strictly by the CPU....which is why overclocking yours is a must to increase performance.

• 17. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                                          alexhackney Level 1

I'm glad you said that, I was feeling a little unsure about the acer but I'm going to give it a shot now.

I have downloaded the benchmark and am working through it.

I'm on the latest version of CC.

I use Samsung EVOs I've got one older 830 and a new 850 Pro. I'll probably pick up two more of the 850 Pros.

I havent considered the overclocking yet. I may try that to suffice for now and then when I can do the upgrades I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Has been really helpful!

Alex

• 18. Re: I Upgrade to GTX970 made no difference in exports?
                                            JFPhoton Level 3

.....for SSDs with SATA III interface, the Samsung 850 Pro is the absolute best. However, the EVOs have had problems and are not recommended for video as the memory type is not as durable as the pro series. I think Bill mentioned he returned EVOs he tried after encountering problems.

...IMPORTANT TIP when using that Acer 27" IPS monitor , the K272HUL.  Despite having latest NVidia driver and connecting with either HDMI 1.4, OR, using the mini-display port to Display port on the monitor, the screen would FADE TO GRAYSCALE while in use !!! I searched the web for answers and almost gave up.

I found out that you must enter the monitor's settings , using the buttons on the front, and DISABLE the setting which says " video detect".  After doing that, all is fine.

Refurbished ones were selling this weekend for $279 on new Egg and are WELL WORTH IT !!!

27 INCH, IPS, WQHD AT 2560 X1440p @ 60 fps for $ 279 !!!!...yer KIDDING ME !!!  The tech reviews were very good on this monitor and thats what made me buy it....at that price...you can't go wrong !! I cannot believe the look of some 1440p video I have edited on PPro...stunning......and on this LAPTOP, no less !! Ypur 970 will feed two of these at full resolution no problem....HDMI on one....display port on the other.

DO TRY AND OVERCLOCK your CPU...it may be well worth it...I just saw a video where a guy got 4.7 Ghz out of his....that would be a good performance boost for you, if possible.... until you replace computer.

At 20 mb / sec...that footage should not be a problem and 2 Samsund Pro 850s should work great. You can add a spinning, large capacity HDD for archiving and backup... like an enterprise level Seagate,or, WD for cheap....some of the larger models run at over 200MB/sec now, even at 7,200 rpm.

Last night, I was experimenting editing that 1440p footage , which runs at 100 mb / sec. I had THREE TRACKS going at once and the laptop was able to handle it. Because the CPU maxxed out as soon as I turned on the 2nd track, I had to render previews and THEN all 3 tracks played like butter. Then, I was able to export a 1440p finished video using H264 MP4 with no problem, although it took longer than the easier 1080p,but, INCREDIBLE for a laptop !!

So, with "tweaks" like overclocking the CPU.....going with two 850 Pros......KEEPING your 970.......adding a backup HDD..."tuning" the system........and maybe upping your memory to 32 GB.....your machine may be OK for now. You DO have the necessary 4GB of video memory that is a minimum recommendation for 4K editing with the 970.

However, the MASSIVE improvements in the current Haswell E systems  allow for amazing performance !! Check out Bill's X99 machine at PPBM8.com. With the 8 core 5960X CPU, the quad channel memory, the PCI SSD that runs at 2GB / sec........the speed is astonishing compared to all the older setups.