7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 2:22 PM by joshs73460369

How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?

joshs73460369 Level 1

I know this is odd phrasing so I apologize in advance. I will attempt to explain what I'm trying to do. Basically, I have about 10 placed objects in my InDesign document that act as labels for an image. For this particular document I also need a page with that same image rotated 90 degrees along with its 10 labels. The image ends up being scaled down to fit the orientation of the page by 80%. I have this rotated image on the Master B page. When I go to copy, rotate, and scale the placed image labels from Master A to Master B, I'd like a way to scale of the labels down to 80%, but I don't want them to shrink in size when I do. The goal is to have the labels remain the same size individually, but as a whole the cluster of them shrinks. Man I hope that made sense... Thanks

• 1. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?
          Document Geek Adobe Community Professional

I think this article by Cari Jansen explains just what you are trying to do: http://indesignsecrets.com/scale-size-both.php. It explains the difference between sizing and scaling.

• 2. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?
            joshs73460369 Level 1

Thanks for the response DG. I read this article today along with a couple of others and I'm afraid it's not what I'm looking for.

Imagine making a circle out of smaller circles. If you select all of those circles and proceed to scale it down, both the circle and the group of circles will all decrease in size. What I'm trying to do is somehow scale down the large circle, but keep the smaller circles creating the circle the same size. I hope that example helps!

• 3. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?

Can you post a screen shot? First you were talking about labels and images, rotated, but now you are talking about circles. I am confused. I don't understand how you want to scale something by 80%, but keep it the same size. Do you want the text inside to scale, but keep text frames the same size?

• 4. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Document Geek wrote:

I am confused. I don't understand how you want to scale something by 80%, but keep it the same size. Do you want the text inside to scale, but keep text frames the same size?

Yeah, the description is confusing, but I think the OP wants to scale some things and not others, which will almost certainly make it a manual task.

I read it as...

• A picture at 100% with labels (I'll say 'callouts') superimposed on it.
                • Scale the picture (and rotate it, although I'd keep that a separate issue), to 80% without scaling the callouts.
                  • In other words, the callouts will have to move to maintain positions relative to the respective parts of the picture to which they refer.

Untitled-1.jpg

If my interpretation of the question is correct, the answer is: you can't. You either scale multiple objects and they all scale, or you scale some and reposition others.

• 5. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?

From every way that I loo at it, that appears to be a manual job.

• 6. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?
                    joshs73460369 Level 1

Thank you very much John for the illustration, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Again, very sorry for the bad explanations. I've found that some of what I use Adobe programs for, ends up being very complicated to explain verbally. The diagram above explains it so! I still wanted to select the callouts all at once, use my selection tool and grab the corner of the bounding box to scale it down, but at the same time, keep the callouts (as individual objects) the same size.

I make simplified versions of maps and use labels to indicate certain places on said map. Sometimes I have to rotate the map, depending on the viewers position, and with that comes the scaling issues I spoke of with my original post. I know that Illustrator has a fantastic transform each tool, and I guess I was hoping InDesign had something comparable to that. I'd love to do this step in Illustrator but I make huge quantities of these maps and InDesign is way better at page handling and the production side of what I do.

Thanks again for your input!

• 7. Re: How can I scale multiple objects down without scaling the objects individually?
                      joshs73460369 Level 1

Hey DG,

Sorry to be so confusing with the second example. I make simplified versions of maps and use labels to indicate certain places on said map. Sometimes I have to rotate the map, depending on the viewers position, and with that comes the scaling issues I spoke of with my original post. I know that Illustrator has a fantastic transform each tool, and I guess I was hoping InDesign had something comparable to that. I'd love to do this step in Illustrator but I make huge quantities of these maps and InDesign is way better at page handling and the production side of what I do.

John has concluded that it's a manual job, and it makes sense. There isn't a feature that allows you to scale a group of objects without the objects themselves shrinking in the process. Sadly the object labels are not text objects, they are vector graphics, .ai files to be exact.

I really appreciate you efforts in helping me!