6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 1:57 PM by Test Screen Name

Image resolution in PDF

JangleCCLLC

Hello InDesign community,

I'm trying to downsample a document from InDesign to PDF, but the images that I had within that document become distorted when I do.  Can someone tell me what settings to set for resolution that will make the PDF images much smaller without terribly sacrificing photo quality?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Image resolution in PDF
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What's the purpose of the downsample? Is this for web viewing and you are trying to reduce the file size?

• 2. Re: Image resolution in PDF
            JangleCCLLC Level 1

Not really web viewing just sending the PDF through an e-mail attachment and yes, trying to reduce it so we can use PDF downsampling when trying to save from InDesign. We tried using the PDF optimizer but it just makes the image quality look bad overall, so we're just trying to adjust the size of the images to compensate for size but not lower the image quality.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Image resolution in PDF
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What resolution are you downsampling to? There's also the compression amount (Image Quality) which can be much less than Maximum before you start to see image artifacts. So you could try a higher target res with Medium image quality. Screen view is also controlled by the PDF reader which you have little control over. The PDF could be viewed at any magnification, and Acrobat Reader also has screen rendering preferences that affect the image quality, which you can't control.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 2.00.23 PM.png

• 4. Re: Image resolution in PDF
                JangleCCLLC Level 1

That's the thing, I'm not sure what resolution to set these images to - I'm trying to downsample from InDesign to PDF but it gives an error saying the images are too large, so I'm trying to change the resolution of the images within the document so I can downsample, but I don't want to diminish the quality of the photo too much.

I just would like to know a recommended resolution to downsample with.

• 5. Re: Image resolution in PDF
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

The recommended resolution depends on the intended purpose. For instance, you will want a different resolution and other settings for quality screen viewing, for rough screen viewing, for inkjet printing, for making a coffee table book, for making a billboard...

By the way, emailing PDFs is not recommended, file size is only one issue. There are many services, some free, some not (e.g. Adobe Send), for sending an email while keeping a big file, like a PDF, on a web server specially for the email recipient. Normal practice is to do this, PDFs with good quality can run to gigabytes.

• 6. Re: Image resolution in PDF
                    Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

By the way, you wrote " InDesign to PDF but it gives an error saying the images are too large..." - I don't recognise this warning. When do you get it and what does it say?