4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 11:26 AM by dj_paige

Upgrading LR5.7 standalone to LR6

lesleyj72937302

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me resolve an issue I have with an upgrade I just purchased to LR6 from 5.7.

I purchased the upgrade online and downloaded the file, went through the upgrade process by signing into my account, entering the LR6 serial number then the LR5 serial number. A new version of LR6 was created alongside the existing version of LR5 which I thought strange as I would have assumed it would have removed the old version. Everything seemed to work OK but when I came to sign out of my account as I wouldn't normally leave it open I was informed that LR would now stop working which it did. Whenever I try to open it I have to sign in again and I get the 30 day trial screen no matter how many times I enter the serial number and when I log out it disables the programme. As it's stand alone I don't expect to have to be permanently logged into to Adobe as I will be expecting to use it out on location as I did with 5.7. Can anyone help please. Incidentally 5.7 is still working as though they are two completely different programmes on my PC. The online chat couldn't resolve this and the helpdesks wouldn't help kept referring me back to chat lines, am currently at my wits end as I'm no expert on software and just followed the installation instructions as they appeared. Thanks Lesley

• 1. Re: Upgrading LR5.7 standalone to LR6
          dj_paige Level 9

Please follow these instructions for registering your software as Lightroom 6:

Serialize Lightroom CC trial to activate as Lightroom 6

• 2. Re: Upgrading LR5.7 standalone to LR6
            lesleyj72937302 Level 1

Unbelievable, I have just spend 57 minutes on the chat thing, spoke to three different helpdesks who fobbed me off and finally registered a complaint case for a senior manager to ring me and within minutes you have provided the answer. I can't thank you enough, although I haven't worked fully through the stages I'm sure the answer to my issue lies in that briefing. Once again many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

• 3. Re: Upgrading LR5.7 standalone to LR6
              lesleyj72937302 Level 1

Well the Briefing was correct you can't licence a stand alone version when you have a CC membership and without asking for it I had been given free membership which is why I struggled getting the stand alone to work. So I followed the suggestion in the link to install using a different Adobe ID, we used my husbands first checking he had no CC membership. Lo and behold when we started the install using his ID he suddenly gained a CC free membership as well. Back onto the chat with their tech team, yes everything I had found out was correct but the only way to get the programme to act as a stand alone version is to wait for the CC membership to run out in 30 days when it will revert to perpetual (they confirmed I had bought LR6 perpetual when I first started this saga at lunch time Uk time). So it looks as though the stand alone upgrades aren't actually intended to be used stand alone they are intended to try to force people into upgrading to CC.

Don't know if anyone else has done the upgrade but I now have two completely independent versions on my PC it hasn't upgraded in the traditional sense of removing one and replacing it just created a new version.

Will see what happens in 30 days it will probably stop working completely but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose, on the bright side 5.7 is still working perfectly.

• 4. Re: Upgrading LR5.7 standalone to LR6
                dj_paige Level 9

So it looks as though the stand alone upgrades aren't actually intended to be used stand alone they are intended to try to force people into upgrading to CC.

If have performed this procedure, I tried the free trial of Lightroom CC (I did not have a paid subscription), then before the trial expired I purchased LR 6, applied the serial number as instructed, and now I have a working standalone version of LR 6.