3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 4:06 AM by dj_paige

NAS drives on home network can they be used to in any way with Lightroom?

maryh91182852

We have a Drobo NAS drive for backups (16 TB!!), which can be plugged in directly to our laptop; + a Western Digitial harddrive that is also NAS for our home network (which also can be plugged in directly to our computer)...Just read that Lightroom catalogs cannot be put on a NAS external harddrive which is a HUGE problem for us (being as we invested in these NAS drives to backup our photos). The MacBook Pro laptop we are using is crammed full, very little internal drive space, so we cannot put Lr catalog OR photos on its internal drive:( And our harddrives are I believe unusable for Lightroom?!!

Does this mean we must go buy ANOTHER external hard drive to use just for lightroom catalog and photos (as we cannot use internal hardrive on laptop)? ??

We bought these NAS drives to also hold our photos so this is rather hugely disappointing and may keep us from using Lightroom at all. Can we at least use NAS drives to backup photos when they are imported from camera card, as harddrive backup? Is it just the catalogs themselves that cannot be stored on a NAS drive?

We do not know if there is anyway to at least make the Western Digital quit acting like a NAS to be able to use it with Lr?

IF must get ANOTHER hard drive, this one for Lr, thinking a Lacie Rugged portable be best way to go? Rugged but portable?

Concerned also as building SmartPreviews with imports to enable using pics on laptop without harddrive attached will also necessitate using internal harddrive of laptop to store smart previews which goes back to the problem of NO ROOM on laptop for this storage of files!!

Greatly appreciate insight to this dilemma . ANY WORKAROUNDS????

• 1. Re: NAS drives on home network can they be used to in any way with Lightroom?
          maryh91182852 Level 1

Reading a "NAS" posting on forum for May 20th: it was suggested to put the catalog on internal harddrive and then put the photos on NAS drive = could use the NAS drive for photo imports just not use the NAS for catalogs....is this correct??

Since I cannot use the internal laptop drive for nothing at moment as it is too full (hopefully to correct this problem by getting iPhoto + Aperture photos next OFF the internal hard drive when import them into Lightroom = giving our laptop breathing room again!) = necessitates putting catalog on external harddrive as well, just not a NAS?? I read that these catalogs can get pretty big at times so thinking its best to not put catalog on internal harddrive even after get iPhoto + Aperture photos OFF of internal harddrive onto external drive for Lightroom???

Putting catalog on external hardwire though means will need at least 2 harddrives for this as need another harddrive to backup the catalog!! So looks like buying 2 external harddrives still necessary?

Lightroom's "ünreasonably simple"goal does not seem so simple at the moment:(

• 2. Re: NAS drives on home network can they be used to in any way with Lightroom?
            maryh91182852 Level 1

Did the moderator just say my reply to my own question was the correct answer??

So....I must get 2 more hard drives for our Lr catalogs  (1 for catalog + 1 for catalog backup) even though I have a 16TB Drobo NAS sitting here + a Western Digital NAS???

I am trying to swallow that.

• 3. Re: NAS drives on home network can they be used to in any way with Lightroom?
              dj_paige Level 9

You cannot put a catalog file on a network drive. It must go on a local drive (could be an external drive or internal drive).

Photos can go on network drives.

So, it sounds to me like your existing drives will work.