4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 10:35 AM by Will1234

Replace an entire topic

Will1234

Can I update/replace an entire topic somehow?

Background: I have a word main doc with links to sub-docs. For RH usage all sub-docs have to be merged to one main word-file (otherwise RH reports an error) before. Then I import the big main wordfile into RH which creates all topics (and images, index,..).

If I later want to change just one sub-doc I have to redo all the previous steps?!

How can I import just such a sub-doc to RH and then replace in the main-RH file (including all the image, links)?

• 1. Re: Replace an entire topic
          Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can link (not import) each individual document in RoboHelp. Whenever one of the documents changes, you can simply regenerate the topics.

I don't believe sub-docs are supported by RH and I doubt they will ever be. Sub-docs are a fool proof way of corrupting Word documents, but perhaps MS changed that in the 2013 version. Personally, I would always advise against sub-docs. If you need this kind of flexibility, I would recommend taking a look at FrameMaker.

• 2. Re: Replace an entire topic
            Will1234 Level 1

Will the "RH linkage" also consider index and toc entries? I never tried before.

If you write >800 pages of documentation, sub-docs are the only way to keep things fast and stabe in word. I use this sub-doc procedure since >15 years with different authors and translation

offices.

• 3. Re: Replace an entire topic
              Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can convert the index and TOC as well. It's a bit more hidden because you first link the document and then choose to convert the index/toc.

I know the pain of long documents in Word. If you have no problems with subdocuments, you're either extremely good with Word or extremely lucky! I hope for the first. Personally, I live by the advice given here: http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

• 4. Re: Replace an entire topic
                Will1234 Level 1

I gave it a test and it does more or less what I need. But: why are the HTML output files using "WD_" as prefix to all CSS formats I defined in the .ISF file? How can this be turned off, since when I manually import a word file, it does not happen. I hope I do not have to write another .JSX again..