6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 12:42 PM by jlragle

Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog

jlragle

I am moving catalog files from a laptop to a USB drive to eventually move these to a desktop catalog to free up space on the laptop.    When I make adjustments to pics I then export those out as jpg's into a new folder called Post Process.  The subfolder is saved in the same folder as the original pics just not added to the catalog otherwise I will have duplicate pics showing.  In exporting out the catalog and checking the files I noticed that the Post Process folder did not export and of course it would not since it was not added to the catalog at the time of exporting.  Here stands the issue and question.  What is the best path to take in this case so not needing to take the time to match/compare photos on the laptop to the now exported catalog photos on the USB drive and then copying as needed over those folders as the "Post Process" folder or pics that were not contained in the catalog? 

• 1. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Just use a File Manager program like Windows/File Explorer (on Windows) or Finder (on Mac OS X) to "Copy" the folders over to wherever you want.

Then use LR to Remove, Delete From Disk, the images in that catalog.

• 2. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog
            jlragle Level 1

By doing so I will loose all developments done within the catalog pics as well as virtual copies.  Possibly exporting out the catalog without the negatives then copying over the complete folder to the desktop then importing catalog settings on desktop LR and then "Update Folder Location"??? 

• 3. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

It is not completely clear what you are trying to do.

If you just want to move the pictures and your catalog to an external drive, just use your OS  tools to copy them.

After the copy is complete, go into LR using the moved catalog and in the Folders panel, expand the top-level folders, then "relocate" the top-level folders to their new location on the external drive.

• 4. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog

Exporting a Catalog doesn't, as far as I know (never tried it), export the actual images. You will still need to copy and or move those images over.

Maybe there is a setting to copy/move the actual images at the time you are exporting a Catalog, Not sure, Don't know, as I've never done it.

But I don't store my edits in the catalog file. I think that is a poor choice. I have my edits written to a XMP sidecar file and move those when and if I am moving images from one drive to another.

• 5. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog

What Maniac Joe wrote.Thumbs Up,

ManiacJoe wrote:

It is not completely clear what you are trying to do.

If you just want to move the pictures and your catalog to an external drive, just use your OS  tools to copy them.

After the copy is complete, go into LR using the moved catalog and in the Folders panel, expand the top-level folders, then "relocate" the top-level folders to their new location on the external drive.

• 6. Re: Move all photos in folder(s) and not just those assoc in a catalog
                    jlragle Level 1

A catalog will export the images as long as "Export Negative Files" is checked.  The problem/issue is it will only include those that are in the catalog and not ones that remain in a subfolder which were not included in the catalog initially thereby leaving them behind.

As far as moving to the USB that's easy but keep in mind those same files need to then go to a desktop at a home location.  I will need the catalog data moved as well to the new location.  The USB is just a means as a transport to the desktop PC. 

I presume one could simply just sync all files and folders before exporting out the catalog(s) from the laptop (Mac) then at least the file structure is maintained.  Once imported to the other computer then those folders, not wanting to see in the catalog, can then be simply "Removed" from the catalog.