5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 3:56 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom catalogue management and workflow

mirzamahmad

Hi, I have a question about managing and organising pictures in lightroom.

have struggled to find the best way to actually manage my photos so I wanted to get your opinion. Currently I use a date> subject method of organising my pictures. I am not a commercial photographer so majority of my pictures are either of family or travel. i also do some targeted shooting, such as landscapes etc which form part of my travel collection.

My question is this. Once I have edited my pictures in lightroom, I export them to jpegs from Raws/Tiffs (if externally edited) and then sort them out in my pictures folder. Now I am left with two copies of the same picture (one raw image with my data in lightroom and one jpeg which is edited). Now Ideally I can remove the raws from my catalogue without deleting them from my system and store them in a separate folder structure. I could if I wanted to, have separate catalogs for my raw work. I wanted to check how other people who use LR to edit and manage images manage this process. Do they have two copies of the same photo on their LR or do they delete them from the catalog and have them just saved on the system? The reason I am hesitant to just store my raw files just as back up is because i tend to go back and re edit my pictures so prefer to have the ability to go back and quickly change and edit an image and bring it into my main edited picture folder. Is there a more efficient way of sorting images which means I am not lumped with duplicate copies of all images on my catalogue and also just unnecessarily slow LR down

Also, in LR, having a lot of raw images with edited data on them slow it down? My current catalogue is about 20k photos   

• 1. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and workflow
          dj_paige Level 9

The most efficient method, in my opinion, is to NOT store the exported JPGs. When you export a photo, you do that for a specific use (such as e-mail, or web, or to send to a printer). After that, they have no use, so to continue to organize them is just additional effort for not any recognizable benefit to me.

What I do is to keep my original edited RAWs in my Lightroom catalog, and manage those. After I export and make use of an exported photo, I delete the exported photos. I know that if I ever need that exported photo in the future (which is rare), I can always export the photo again and get the exact same JPG image.

This is the method that not only makes the most sense to me, but also requires the least effort, while maintaining complete safety and organization. Your description of what you are currently doing indicates to me that you sense you are putting a huge amount of effort and aren't sure that this effort is worthwhile. In my opinion, you would benefit greatly from changing your workflow.

• 2. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and workflow
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I agree with DJ about the exported JPGs. After you have used them for whatever purpose you exported them for, there is no need to keep them since you can reproduce them at will. I don't tend to re-edit my photos after they have been exported. However, "virtual copies" can come in handy for that purpose.

I organize my pictures by category, subcategory, date. For example:

travel/Ireland/20120601

travel/China/20080720

sports/beachvolleyball/20140820

sports/polevaulting/20140716

landscapes/place/date

family/event/date

fireworks/date

flowers/date

Under each date folder I have two folders "originals" and "exported".

That all started before I started using Lightroom. I don't do much in the way of keywording.

I have separate catalogs for my event photography grouped by year for archiving purposes. The images are organized similarly on disk. Here keywording and sets get a little more use.

• 3. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and workflow
              mirzamahmad Level 1

Thanks DJ and ManiacJoe

This is very helpful

This is exactly what I used to do. I used to edit my images in LR and/or a third party program and then bring the images back to LR and keep them as Raws. However, either through reading too much or lack of understanding of LR, i ended up exporting all my files in Jpegs (to save space - which is failing as now I am keeping both) and to ensure that all my "edits" have been saved as an image. I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that as LR is non destructive editing, the edits have not been saved on the image and hence if something was to happen to my LR catalog or something else fails, the edits will be lost. I may have image backups and raws saved which can be brought into LR in this case, however, the editing performed on these will have been lost? @DJ, when you mention that they are safe, does that mean that if I have backed up my catalog and open it up separately, my "edits" will remain on the images?

This is what I was hoping to avoid. I would much prefer to just keep Raws "edited" and export them only when need to.

My other question is if having these edited Raws will slow lightroom down as the size of the catalog will be larger. I have a fairly decent imac so dont really have this problem but its more if it becomes an issue long term.

• 4. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and workflow
                bob frost Level 3

I store all my exported images in the same folder as the original and stacked with it. No problems. LR can store vast numbers of images in the same catalog, so I understand. No need to delete anything that might possibly be of use later.

Bob Frost

• 5. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and workflow
                  dj_paige Level 9

the edits have not been saved on the image and hence if something was to happen to my LR catalog or something else fails, the edits will be lost

False.

The edits are not lost, they are in your catalog. You need to make backups of your catalog file, and backups of your photos. You need to restore both catalog file and photos to the exact same location that the originals were in. It's an extremely simple thing to do with most backup software. And when this is done properly, all of your edits remain.

My other question is if having these edited Raws will slow lightroom down as the size of the catalog will be larger.

The catalog size does depend on the number of images, but as the number of images increases, there should be no noticeable slow down in most LR functions. This is such an important and misunderstood concept that I'm going to say it again, in bold. The catalog size does depend on the number of images, but as the number of images increases, there should be no noticeable slow down in most LR functions.

The exceptions would be that making a backup of your LR catalog could take longer as the number of images increase, and searching the full catalog will be slightly slower, but that's pretty much it. If I were you,I'd stop worrying about the size of your catalog.