0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2007 5:35 AM by mixersoft

Can I build a photo uploader with Flex?

Hi,

I am looking into Flex as a possible platform to build a new photo website. I know that many of my requirements fit great with the flex/flash platform. But one specific issue is to build an easy-to-use, easy-to-deploy photo uploader which feels like Flickr/Picasa and can manage picking 100s of files/folders. That means I need:

1 - local read access to the filesystem to browse JPGs for upload
      2 - local write access to add EXIF keywords to selected JPGs (i.e. uploaded tag)
      3 - network access to upload to my website

For the absolute simplest user experience, I think I need to run in a local-trusted sandbox, an SWF downloaded and configured by an installer. I think that will get me 1 and 3. But I think 2 is a problem - am I limited to only writing local shared objects to the filesystem?

If this is so, is there a workaround for this? For example, can I call a local executable to write the EXIF data to JPG, or can I use the Flex/AJAX bridge to expose my SWF to javascript and somehow use that to write the EXIF data?

Also, can someone point me in the right direction to understand how to write an installer that will configure a local-trusted SWF?

Thanks,

m.