11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 7:16 AM by KEANNITH

Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render

DeepSetSyd Level 1

Hello.

Thought I posted this question a few days ago but can't find it - apologies if this is a repeat.

I've got a movie that's just over 1 hour in length. It's ready to burn to disc. I've tried burning directly to disc, or burning to ISO or folders. Every time it hangs in the same place. No error messages, the machine seems to be working hard but progress bar stops at 39% each time.

So, I tried exporting as mpg and starting a new project with just that one 1hr mpg file on the timeline, no menus, burn to ISO. Still hangs during creating image file.

Any suggestions?

I'm using Elements 13 on windows 8.1.

Thanks in anticipation!

Syd

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)

where is the hang up

Encoding Media

Compiling Media

Burning Disc?

What is your project preset and the properties of your sources on the Timeline?

What is your burn to choice - burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

What does the burn dialog Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Depending on the hang up...

a. Go back to the Edit area, open all the tracks, expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Look for any irregularities

placement of transitions and titles

gaps

leftovers/debris which typically present a very thin black vertical lines scattered about the Timeline

b. Make 2 copies of the project and using the copies (File Menu/Save A Copy)

first copy, delete first 1/2 of project and try to burn to just the second half

second copy, delete second 1/2 of project and try to burn to just that first half

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
            DeepSetSyd Level 1

Yes, it's 64 bit Windows 8.1.

It hangs on the Burning to Disc part.

I have chosen to Burn to DVD disc but the option of creating an ISO file. It's the same if I choose burn to folder, always hangs on the burning phase.

There are no inconsistencies on the timeline because I started a new project and put the mpg file in it. No transitions, effects or titles, and just the one clip. Its properties are MPEG Movie; 7.1GB, 1920x1080; 25fps; 48000Hz Compressed 32 bit stereo, 1:03:36:01 duration, pixel aspect ratio 1.0.

The project preset is NTSC AVCHD 1080p60 - could this be the problem as I have been trying to burn to PAL?

The burn dialog Quality area shows 3.94GB for Space Required and 8.00Mbps for bitrate.

I'm going to try the instructions in b. above to render in two parts and report back.

Thanks very much,

Stewart

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
              DeepSetSyd Level 1

Interesting.

I split the movie clip into 2.

Burn first half to ISO seemed to succeed (although I can't find the file)

Second half hung in the same way, so split that second half file into 2 again. First half (now 1/4 of the original) hung. Halved it again. Both halves burnt ok independently.

So, I think I can conclude 2 things:

1 - The hanging isn't due to a fault in the video clip

2 - It's supposed to be burning to ISO files, but I have no clue where these files are - they're certainly not in the folder they should be in.

So could point 2 above be related to my problem?

Thanks,

Syd

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Stewart

General

Thanks for the reply. Excellent mention about questioning the project preset. There is a problem there.

We need to know

a. frame rate of source and whether interlaced or progressive

b. NTSC or PAL setup

Let us work out the project preset details. Then we can look at other factors if the project preset was not the major factor causing the workflow problems.

Details....

If your source file is

1920x 1080

at 25 frames per second (interlaced or progressive)

then the

NTSC AVCHD 1080p60 project preset is not right even for progressive)

a. you have a difference in NTSC versus PAL related to frame rate

b. you have a difference in frame rate of 25 frames per second versus 60/59.94 frames per second.

If your source file is

1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second

then your project preset should be

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

If your source file is

1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

If your source file is

1920 x 1080 @ 60/59.94 progressive frames per second

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

If your source file is

1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second

then your project should be

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

If the project is not setting the project preset correctly based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline, then you need to set the project preset manually before you import the source files into the project.

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Thanks for your follow ups. Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Just something to think about for what next after we have verified the project preset.

If you are having problems finding the .iso files that you supposed to have been generated from Premiere Elements 13 burn to ISO Image,

please look at the problem with and without the preference for Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher disable in Preferences. See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Disabling or enabling that preference has made the difference for many when these .iso files cannot be generated or found.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                    DeepSetSyd Level 1

That's the answer!

I've unchecked that box and it worked perfectly - even with the incorrect project setting. I'll pay more attention to the project settings in future. I'm not entirely sure why the project settings matter if you choose the settings at the point of final rendering in any case. I tend to use more than one source for the project in any case (HD camera and some mobile phone footage).

I've burnt an ISO file, now a disc and it works fine.

Thanks ATR!

Syd.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Thanks for the follow up with the great news "That's the answer!". Great job with that Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference.

There have been several reports lately similar to yours and the status of that Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference has proven to be the key to solution.

So, your report is very important in order to know what is working and not as the solution.

But just be on guard with regard to your .iso files over 1 GB. You may have a problem getting the player to recognize it after it has been put to disc.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

The importance of project settings (project preset) matching the properties of source media goes to several factors

a. Most important - it directs the project to give you the correct space in the Edit area monitor from which to edit

b. It directs the project as to what type of Movie Menu theme choice to display in the Movie Menu customization area of the program (a menu on the hard drive has 3 possible configurations, "s" for standard, "w" for widescreen, "hd" for high definition.

c. Other subtle effects

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                        DeepSetSyd Level 1

OK, thanks.

Is for archive purposes, it is considered better to keep an ISO image or folders?

Thanks,

Syd

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

From the perspective of the current Premiere Elements 13/13.1 burn to ISO Image situation, I would stay with the burn to folder for VIDEO_TS Folder and the BDMV Folder destined for a DVD disc. That leaves open the matter of Blu-ray since there is no burn to folder as the alternative to burn to disc. You should probably be alright if you keep the .iso file size below 1 GB. Please refer to link in post 7 for .iso file size issue.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                            KEANNITH Level 1

keith

just read the above as I am having problems with burning dvd. first I cannot get an orange or green line throughout the completed video.  All that happens after rendering is that some of the added text boxes turn green but not all.  None of the video clips have any line.

Secondly when going to dialogue box to burn dvd it says under Status no media available.

I am using Premiere 13 with windows 10.

Can you help if so please keep it simple as i do not fully understand computer jargon.

thanks

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 hangs during render
                              KEANNITH Level 1

keith

just read the above as I am having problems with burning dvd. first I cannot get an orange or green line throughout the completed video.  All that happens after rendering is that some of the added text boxes turn green but not all.  None of the video clips have any line.

Secondly when going to dialogue box to burn dvd it says under Status no media available.

I am using Premiere 13 with windows 10.

Can you help if so please keep it simple as i do not fully understand computer jargon.

thanks