8 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 12:58 PM by SteveH59

Changing the movement of an object

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have a short video clip (MP4) on my Timeline in which an object - a bird - flies in a right to left direction.

Is it possible to reverse this, so that the bird flies from left to right?

I have Prem Elements 11.

Thank you.

Steve

• 1. Re: Changing the movement of an object
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

Premiere Elements 11, road tested....see if this works for you

Right click the clip on the Timeline, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, place a check mark next to Reverse Speed. Then click OK.

Then drag the Horizontal Flip effect into the Timeline clip (See fx Effects/Transform/Horizontal Flip).

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Changing the movement of an object
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks for your reply.

That has the bird flying backwards.

Steve

• 3. Re: Changing the movement of an object
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I have just deleted my intended reply to your post regarding "That has the bird flying backwards".

I will be back shortly with more information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Changing the movement of an object
                SteveH59 Level 1

As I try to drag the Horizontal Flip effect from the Effects dialogue box, I can see a small No Entry sign (at least, that's what it looks like).

• 5. Re: Changing the movement of an object
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve159

Thanks for the follow ups.

I am trying to simulate your file by creating one, and my creations may be falling into complications  I have now created a AVCHD.mp4 file with a bird (from Graphics) flying right to left (facing forward in that direction) to one flying left to right (facing forward in that direction). I used the following..

Please try this for what you have. Forget about the Time Stretch Dialog's Reverse Speed. Just drag the fx Effects/Transform/Horizontal Flip into the Timeline clip and let me know if we now have the bird flying facing forward and moving left to right as represented in the screenshot below.

lefttoright.JPG

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you have audio video linked, be sure to be dragging the effect into the file's representation on the video track part.

• 6. Re: Changing the movement of an object
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, that's it! Horizontal Flip only.

I still get that No Entry sign when I drag Horizontal Flip to the Timeline so unless I click Play, I can't tell if the effect has really been applied, but it obviously has in this case.

It seemed a bit odd - I'm not sure why! - that an object was going from right to left and not left to right, but it seems more 'natural' now especially with a living being.

Many many thanks for all your work. I'm pleased!

Steve

• 7. Re: Changing the movement of an object
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Wonderful news. Great job as I sorted through the Reverse Speed and Horizontal Flip details.

Just in case mention....if you drag the Horizontal Flip into the clip and you do not see the flip, you can always verify whether or not the project recognized the application of that effect to the clip

a. highlight/select the Timeline clip

b. click on Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ and look for a Horizontal Panel there. If no Horizontal Panel there, then the effect was not applied.

So glad this worked for you. Your topic of the flight of the bird brought back memories of an earlier work that I did using Premiere Elements for "perspective" involving the flight of birds. You may be interested in the following and enjoy applying the principles to your upcoming projects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Perspective Effects

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Changing the movement of an object
                        SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, I think I remember now about seeing if an effect has been applied.

If you don't work in Prem Elements regularly - or any software, I suppose - you begin to lose touch even of the basics. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Your video clips look great. I love the bird flying out of the frame - very clever.

You should apply to MGM.

Steve