8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 11:11 AM by emerickd10

Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?

emerickd10

I have an HD camera, it looks perfect on my computer, but once burned to a DVD disc it is poor quality.

I have tried to use different disc (Memorex DVD+R, DVD-R, etc), I have tried burning off of my laptop and desktop computer, and I have tried burning the DVD through the elements software as well as the windows media software. All get me the same results - look great on screen, but poor quality (square looking pixles) on a DVD disc.

I also burned a disc using some of the clips from my original movie using my old editing software, Pinnacle. This worked perfectly and the quality remains the same from the screen to the DVD. However, I would like to figure out why it is not working with premiere elements because I have already put in 4+ hours creating the movie in premiere and not trying to do that all over again with Pinnacle.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

There is always the expectations factor, overlooking that you are comparing 1920 x 1080 display of HD with the 856 x 480 (NTSC) or 1056 x 576 (PAL) display associated with DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. And, if interlaced source with upper field first scan order, you could be looking a a scan order conflict between your HD and DVD-VIDEO scan order of bottom field first. All that being taken into consideration, let us determine if you are getting the best possible results from what you are doing.

1. What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. What are the properties of your HD source - video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? If you are not sure, what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video?

3. What project preset did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset to match the properties of the source video?

4. On the Timeline, did you apply any Field Options - if interlaced, Reverse Field Dominance?

5. Are your source media just videos or do you have photos plus videos? If photos included, what are their pixel dimensions and how many of them are there?

Are you required to burn to DVD VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc or is an AVCHD on DVD product acceptable to you? AVCHD DVD has display of 1920 x 1080 so you might want to explore that format for the export to match the HD import more closely.

What type of player are you going to use for your burn to disc product - regular DVD player or blu-ray player or one of those multi media type players? If applicable does the TV displaying your disc format have the technology to enhance DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Let us start here and focus on the best possible DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc if that is your sole focus.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
            emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

I appreciate your response. I believe you came to my rescue once before when I had lost my project because of my battery dying and you had me search through all the auto-saves. I'm hoping for the same results!

I apologize in advance if my answers are not as "technical", if you will, as you would like. I am new to this whole thing and don't know much about anything. I'll try my best.

1. What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

I have premiere elements 12 and I am using it on a Windows 7 dell laptop.

2. What are the properties of your HD source - video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? If you are not sure, what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video?

I'm not sure about the above questions. I used two different cameras - my DSLR which is a Canon EOS 70D, and my friends which is a Canon Vixia. Both producing HD video.

3. What project preset did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset to match the properties of the source video?

I'm assuming this is pertaining to when I went to publish to a disc - the Preset shows NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. (I did however try publishing to my computer and was reading an article on how to change the dimensions to 1080 1920...SO, I did that and it saved as a Windows media player file. Like I mentioned before I tried to burn that from windows and got the same results)

4. On the Timeline, did you apply any Field Options - if interlaced, Reverse Field Dominance?

Not sure what this is - so, don't think so. Did nothing special besides add text, fade in/fade out, and clipping clips.

5. Are your source media just videos or do you have photos plus videos? If photos included, what are their pixel dimensions and how many of them are there?

Just video. Did add some text at the beginning and end of the project.

Are you required to burn to DVD VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc or is an AVCHD on DVD product acceptable to you? AVCHD DVD has display of 1920 x 1080 so you might want to explore that format for the export to match the HD import more closely.

Here's the deal - I was asked to videotape an 8th grade graduation. I tried burning a disc to AVCHD (the burning was successful, but I wasn't even able to play it on my laptop or tv). I'm assuming this isn't the best option because I need it to be viewable by 18 different families and tvs/computers.

What type of player are you going to use for your burn to disc product - regular DVD player or blu-ray player or one of those multi media type players? If applicable does the TV displaying your disc format have the technology to enhance DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Again, just regular DVD. I do not have equipment available for Blu-ray and I need it to be viewable for many different people who probably have the standard.

It doesn't seem like I have had an issue with this before which is why I'm bummed out (I've burned a few wedding videos with no problems). Hope this gets us started somewhere.

• 3. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Thanks for the reply with a lot of helpful information.

Based on what you wrote, let us focus on the best possible DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you can produce with Premiere Elements 12. From your earlier thread, I understand that you are using Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. I am assuming your Premiere Elements installation was for NTSC TV Format.

First, if you have Premiere Elements 12, have you updated it to 12.1? If not, please do that using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

1. We need to set the project settings so that they match the properties of your source files.

a. The Canon 70D looks like it could be offering you 1920 x 1080p30 or p24. See if you can find out for sure. But, for now I will go with 1920 x 1080 @29.97/30 progressive frames per second.

b. The Canon Vixia could be giving you interlaced or progressive video (60i which is 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second; 30 progressive frames per second; 60 progressive frames per second). See if you can find out for sure. For now, I will assume 60i which is 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second.

Premiere Elements project offers you only one project preset (project settings). So, if you have a Timeline with more than one format, then you need to decide on priorities, that is, which settings to favor and then let the properties of the second video "cope" with the project settings.

2. This what I would like you to try in a mini test run to determine if you make any advances in your workflow performance and quality

(do not put the photos into this mini test run)

a, Set the project preset manually using File Menu/New/Project to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

You do that by

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

b. Import the 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second video into the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Expert Workspace Timeline using Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

3. Any render color indicator line over the video when it arrives on the Timeline

Canon 70D, yes or no? Answer should be no.

Canon Vixia, yes or no? Answer should be yes. If yes, Render the Timeline content

Then playback the whole Timeline and let us know what that looks like.

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thanks for considering the suggestions.

ATR

Add On...Do not worry about technical or not technical. I will clarify anything that needs to be re-written so that we communicate to get to a solution. Do one step at a time. We can go at whatever pace you are comfortable with.

• 4. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
                emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

I updated to 12.1.  Thanks for that.

I started a new project with the new specifications. Everything seemed to work and look correctly - but it always has looked right on the timeline. Did you want me to try burning a sample of this?

For your #3, I don't understand what you mean about render color. Everything looks the same as it always has - no new colors or anything. Not sure what I'm looking for here - there were no yes/no questions.

If I start a new project with the new specifications and import the "windows file" (the finished project) into the timeline and burn it would that work?

I hope I did everything that you had asked.

• 5. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

Thanks for the update and for considering the workflow suggestions.

About the render color.

Render.JPG

In the above screenshot, the orange line that I point to is what I am calling render color indicator.

If the first file that you drag into the Timeline has properties that match the project settings, there will be no colored line where you now see the orange line in my screenshot. The no color line situation is the program telling you that you are seeing the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor. No Timeline rendering possible or available. The Timeline rendering is for getting the best possible preview and you already have it.

If that line is orange, that indicates the clip needs Timeline Rendering to get the best possible preview. When the Timeline Rendering is complete, the orange line turns green indicating you are now seeing the best possible preview. Every time you edit a clip, that line will turn orange telling you that you are not getting the best possible preview of your newly edited content. And, so on goes the process...orange-green-orange-green... Timeline Rendering does not fix anything, it just gives you a preview - a window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. You do not have to do it, but often it is your best way to get an immediate idea of what a transition, effect, title looks like.

Back to the mini test run in progress....

Good idea to see what the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen looks like at playback on your computer.

In viewing the playback, determine if you have uniform quality with footage from both Canon cameras.

If possible, determine if you get the same quality on more than one player. Please try to determine from the TV and its player whether or not there is any DVD-VIDEO enhancing technology built in the devices.

Then we can determine what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
                    emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

What you said about the rendering colors makes perfect sense. Now when I drag video from my DSLR camera, there is no color. Which is perfect, right? When I drag clips from the Vixia, there is color and needs rendered. After rendering, the clip from the Vixia looks pixilated (blurry) just like the whole video had been doing on the DVD. (This has to be because of the settings we changed because before all clips looked good)

Before I go any further with burning a DVD of these couple clips to look on the TV, I'm sure that it will be blurry because its blurry on the timeline.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd10

If you are reporting that the Timeline 70D video is now OK on the Timeline, but not the Vixia video on that same Timeline even after rendering,

your problem with the Canon Vixia suggests to me that is indeed interlaced not progressive video. In the future, it would be to your advantage to explore recording video with progressive frame rate using 70D and Vixia.

But, for now.

a. Please remove the Vixia from the project, do the burn to disc with only the 70D, and determine the quality of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. If that is OK, then we need to see what we can do to fit the Vixia video into the project settings for the 70D video. We can have only one project preset per project.

b. Save close the project in "a" and start a new project with the project settings

NTSC

AVCHD

Full 1080i30

then import your Vixia video into this new Premiere Elements project. Go through the same drill regarding Timeline quality. Burn the Timeline to DVD-VIDEO_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. What does that look like?

Please give the results for

Project - Only 70D as us - burn to DVD

Project - Only Vixia as is - burn to DVD

Project - 70D as is + Vixia with Reverse Field Dominance - burn to DVD

What I am trying to gain data support for is the idea to deinterlace the Vixia footage before import into the DSLR 1080p30 project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is my video blury after burning it to a DVD?
                        emerickd10 Level 1

ATR,

I sincerely apologize about not getting back with you much much sooner. Things have been crazy busy.

This is where I'm at - I went ahead and made copies of the DVD that worked through my Pinnacle program so that I could get that project out of the way sense it was on a timeline basis. So, I no longer need to mess with it in adobe.

NOW, I am working on a new project, a wedding film this time. I burned a disc with JUST 70D footage using the presets that worked well with the 70D camera in premiere like you had asked. The DVD looked great on the t.v. SO - I went ahead and started in with my new project (this new project only uses the 70D camera). **PROBLEM: It seems as if when I put any kind of effect (I just use fading in/out and text over video, the video becomes pixalated/not HD.) This ONLY happens on the clips that I have used a fade or text over the video. The rest of the clips look great. Any idea about this???

Second, I have to make a separate disc with video from the Vixia camera (I let this camera run during the ceremony and speeches at the reception). I have not yet even pulled those clips into premiere, but I know that with the presets for my 70D camera, these will not work. Any suggestion on a preset for when I go to make this project? I don't even remember how to go back and forth with setting presets.

This should be easier because I am not mixing video from the both cameras, they are both getting their own project. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you, as always!!!