6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 12:15 PM by trshaner

Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog

volpivet

This is my first attempt at asking a question in the forum, so please bear with me. Since upgrading to LR 6 I have repeatedly had to import photos multiple times before they "stay put" in the catalog. This happens almost every time I import new photos and it occurs across several different catalogs.  I import my images, converting to DNG and building 1:1 previews using the exact same import preset I've used for years. Sometimes I start rating photos and editing right away, and sometimes I close lightroom right after the import is complete. The next time I go into the catalog, the photos are gone. No thumbnails, old photos in the "previous import" collection - nothing! It gave me a heart attack the first time it happened with client photos!!  If I open the import dialog and navigate to where I originally copied them, there they sit, already converted to DNG and ready to add back into the catalog. But of course all edits are gone, as well as my ratings and such.  At first I thought I might be opening an old version of Lightroom, or an old catalog, but no. Is it worth reinstalling Lightroom 6? Is anyone else running into this?  Thank you for your time!

• 1. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
          volpivet Level 1

Ah! There is a new trick! This time the photos were there, but every single one of my edits and color labels made last night is gone.  I made a backup on exiting last night, so I'll try restoring that, but this is so frustrating!  Do you think reinstalling would help since I seem to be the only one with this issue??

Thank you for your time and advice.

• 2. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
            JoeKostoss Level 4

You say you have "several different catalogs".  Are you checking that you are using LR with the same catalog upon reopening?  Several catalogs can become very problematic if you are not careful.

• 3. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
              volpivet Level 1

Yes sir. I start a new professional catalog and a new family catalog every year and then keep another for photos I take for the church, but they are named clearly and I am actively adding *new* photos to only those three. The first time photos went missing the first thing I did was check the other catalogs, and then I opened up Lightroom 5 to see if perhaps I had somehow imported into an older version of my catalogs.

• 4. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
                SnappyUK Level 1

For what it's worth, I've had exactly the same problem twice now. I spent most of today working on a folder I imported this morning, before closing it when I took a break. Reopened LR and the imported folder is not showing in the catalog. I've now reimported it, but all my LR edits have been completely forgotten. So that's half a day's work lost. I'm inclined to bill Adobe for my time.

• 5. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

volpivet wrote:

Yes sir. I start a new professional catalog and a new family catalog every year and then keep another for photos I take for the church, but they are named clearly and I am actively adding *new* photos to only those three.

By using "multiple catalogs" you are losing the ability to search your entire image file collection from within any one (1) catalog. You are also creating a tracking nightmare to determine which catalog contains what pictures other than in a one year date range. You must also make Backup Copies of each and every catalog on a regular basis and keep track of those "copies" stored on a separate hard drive. When you upgrade LR to a new version it takes the current catalog file and "converts" it to a format that is compatible with the new version. The older version catalog (LR5?) files remain untouched on your hard drive and can still be opened using the previous version LR (LR5?), which also remains untouched by the LR upgrade.

Is it possible you opened the wrong catalog and couldn't find images recently edited because they are in a different catalog? IMHO very likely! When you go to File> Open Catalog how many LR catalog files do you see? There should be at minimum 2x the number of catalog files (Original LR Catalogs + Upgraded LR6 Catalogs). Or, perhaps you opened the older version of LR still installed and mistook it for LR6?

Using separate catalogs for "personal" and "work" images may make sense, but that should leave you with just two (2) catalogs. You can keep the files separated in different top-level folders and subfolders by client/project. But use keywording and collections to "organize" the image files that can be sorted and searched using the Library Filter Bar, and not "multiple catalogs."

Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 6. Re: Since upgrading to LR 6 the most recent import is missing the next time I open the catalog
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SnappyUK wrote:

For what it's worth, I've had exactly the same problem twice now. I spent most of today working on a folder I imported this morning, before closing it when I took a break. Reopened LR and the imported folder is not showing in the catalog. I've now reimported it, but all my LR edits have been completely forgotten. So that's half a day's work lost. I'm inclined to bill Adobe for my time.

Are you sure you didn't open the older version of LR, which remains installed on your system after the upgrade? Check for those newly imported and edited image files in both the older version and the upgrade version LR 6/CC.