14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 3:32 PM by ssprengel

camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D

ycardozo Level 1

I just updated CC 2014 and also camera raw. All went fine on my desktop (windows 7). But on my laptop, I can see the images in bridge but when I click on an individual image to bring it up in RAW all I see is a blue box with an X through it. If I open several images at once, I can see the images in the filmstrip but each individual image is still displayed as a blue box with X. Both desktop and laptop are running windows 7. I've tried rebooting the laptop with no luck. CS6 and it's version of Bridge are fine. Has anyone else encountered this problem. I am SOOO sorry I updated.

• 1. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn off the GPU Acceleration in the ACR preferences, that’s all.

• 2. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
            ycardozo Level 1

pardon my next dumb question but I'm looking at camera raw preferences and I don't see GPU Acceleration. There's something at the bottom that says 'use graphics processor' and this is checked. Is that it?

• 3. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
              ycardozo Level 1

OMG...that DID it. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been twiddling with this for well over an hour.

• 4. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                ycardozo Level 1

and to make things even more confusing, 'use graphics processor' IS checked on my desktop but didn't cause the problem.

??????????????????????? I will NEVER understand what goes thru the fuzzy brains of computers. I'm sure it's some weird sort of operator error (mine).

• 5. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                  ycardozo Level 1

hmm, maybe processing speed difference in the two computers. what do you think, ssprengel? and again THANKS!

• 6. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D

There is an issue with the driver or video card resources on the computer with the problem.  When the program initializes it tests the driver to see if it’s compatible but is missing something and you only see the problem after the display shows the white-on-blue X.  Lightroom 6 and ACR 9 are Adobe’s first attempts at adding GPU math to the raw-processors and there are still a few glitches.  I have never seen the blue-X but on my older computer having the GPU enabled causes stuttering and is much slower than with it disabled and the CPU doing all the math.

• 7. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                      ycardozo Level 1

But meanwhile, another problem, perhaps somehow related, has cropped up. Photoshop CC 2014 is sluggish. Updating it didn't help. When I try to use the quick selection tool, the circle pattern goes around and around and then hardly any of the part I want to select is actually selected. Other functions (for instance highlight/shadow tool) are also sluggish. This is fairly recent and predates the update, which is why I thought updating the program might help. I tried  disabling the graphics processor in photoshop, as well as in ACR, but that didn't help. Is there anything else you know of that might work? Meanwhile, the problem does NOT exist in my copy of CS6 or Photoshop CC (rather than the 2014 version).

• 8. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                        ycardozo Level 1

ssprengel, any thoughts on the other problem? Right now, I am resorting to having to open each file manually in Photoshop CC (rather than CC2014) to get the selection tool and other tools to work at a decent speed. I believe there's a way to force images from Bridge to default to CC rather than 2014 but I'd rather not do that yet. But all this has brought my workflow to a crawl and I just don't know what's causing it.

• 9. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D

Presumably you've restarted PS after turning off or adjusting settings in the Graphics Acceleration area, right?  You might try setting the GPU to Basic instead of Advanced and see if that changes anything for the better.   I guess PS-CC-2014 uses different system calls to do things compared to PS-CC and maybe one of those isn't handled very well by your video card or video drivers.

I think Bridge will use whatever version of PS is already open so if you open PS-CC then it'd use that instead of PS-CC-2014, and that'd let you choose on the fly instead of hacking a configuration file and not having Bridge ever use PS-CC-2014, again.

• 10. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                            ycardozo Level 1

Not only restarted PS but also rebooted the computer. As for what an image goes to...nope, it isn't ps cc. It's ps cc 2014. Actually what happens when I click on a RAW image in bridge and have CC (not 2014) open is ... nothing. I have to go to CC, then do file/open, which can get confusing if I'm trying to remember the five or six images (minus the ones in between that I don't want). Mind you, these are all RAW images. If I click on a tiff or jpeg in bridge with CC (not 2014 open) those images open in CC. But if it's a RAW image, it simply won't open from Bridge into CC, only into 2014.

What I don't get is ... WHAT CHANGED between May 5 and May 20 or so. Certainly nothing on either computer that I know of. I tried going to 'performance' in the CC 2014 preferences and turned off 'use graphics processor' and that did not help. It did solve my blue square problem with the laptop, but that's another matter entirely. So when you say set the GPU to basic instead of advanced, what exactly do you mean. I see nothing in preferences that says GPU. And if it's a general windows setting, no, god knows what that will screw up. I just don't understand what changed in those few weeks. I wasn't even here. I was out of town and the computer was turned off. I had the laptop with me but, again, unless it's some weird thing with a windows update, I don't have a clue.

An interesting sidelight...when i go to Camera RAW preferences, there's a box on the bottom that says 'use graphics processor.' I tried clicking that (it was unchecked) and got this message: "currently disabled due to an error (unsupported driver/hardware version)". What does that mean...I'm assuming it's always  been unchecked. I had unchecked 'use graphics processor' in the PS 2014 preferences and that changed the way my scrolling worked. Since it had not solved the other problem, I rechecked it.

• 11. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                              ycardozo Level 1

Btw, I have tried not only turning off 'use graphics processor' but also turning it back on and setting the GPU  to basic (I couldn't see the advanced settings while the graphics processor was turned off). And I not only backed out of Photoshop and Bridge but tried rebooting the computer. Again, it happened on both computers, my desktop and laptop, without warning. I also went to Camera RAW preferences and found an interesting box labeled "use graphics processor" that had never been checked as far as I know ... I tried checking it and got this message: "currently disabled due to an error (unsupported hardware/driver version)"

The only thing I can think of that affected both laptop and desktop and that 'changed' is windows updates. Makes me wonder if that is somehow involved. Last time I tried calling Adobe for help, I was on hold for hours and got some numnuts I think in India or the Philippines who knew less than I do...and that isn't much.

• 12. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                                ycardozo Level 1

ssprengel,

A friend found  the problem. We moved the RAM slider in Photoshop preferences (performance) down near the minimum recommended level and reset the cache level back to 4. How it got set to 1 is beyond me. As for the RAM, that was something I tried tweaking but it's a bit counter intuitive to me to actually reduce the amount of ram being used rather than increase it. (Actually, it made sense to him, but he works with computers daily). What still remains unanswered is how/why with the original settings things suddenly stopped working smoothly. I sure didn't change them (until I was trying to 'fix' things). At any rate, thanks for your help. We both still think a windows update was somehow involved. But, at this point, I don't care as long as it's fixed.

• 13. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D
                                  andreav53289943

Hi... I was wondering if you could help me... I was trying to look for the GPU option on the preferences but I cant find it anywhere..

• 14. Re: camera raw 9.0 won't display images from my canon 70D

The GPU option is in ACR 9.x preferences if you have CC, but not CS6 or PSE.

PS / Edit / Prefs / Camera Raw... or Ctrl-K in the ACR 9 plug-in when hosted by CC but not in the ACR Layer Filter in CC.