11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 6:18 PM by Bowzetto

aligning double digits in a numbered list

Bowzetto Level 1

This question has been asked several times and I've tried everything but nothing works:

I am trying to align a numerical list so that the "10" aligns correctly under the "9".

I don't want this:

1. Cats

2. Kittehs

3. Dawgz

5. Frogs

6. Lions

7. Bears

8. Nerds

9. Doofuses

10. Dingbats

The '"0" should be under the "9".

In CS3, I created a new paragraph style and followed previous instructions and it worked great. But in CS6 [don't have CS3 any more] I have tried [almost] everything, changing variables and nothing works.

Here's what I did:

1. created new paragraph style

2. chose bullets & numbers, then list type = numbers

3. In the bullet or number position, I changed:

Alignment = right

Left Indent = 2p6

1st line indent = -0p6

And experimented with the variables but nothing worked. Worked GREAT in ID CS3.

When I apply the ¶ style, it actually moves the list to the right side of the page and adds an extra set of numbers:

Shot1.jpg

Could someone please give me a detailed "step by step" procedure to follow for CS6, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I feel like a beginner and have been using ID since version 2 and good ol' Pagemaker since the beginning of time [feels like it]

Any advice would really help. There must be a better "formula" that I haven't figured out yet.

My thanks in advance,

Ellen

• 1. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Works exactly the same.

Make sure  you have an indent large enough to handle the right alignment and stop typing the numbers in yourself. They’re added automatically by InDesign when you hit enter.

• 2. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
            Bowzetto Level 1

Thanks Bob, followed your instructions: Just started typing text and the numbers came up.

This was the ¶ style I created:

• Alignment = right
            • left indent = 2p6
            • 1st line indent = -0p6
            • tab left blank

But the text was on the right side of the page, so in the ¶ & character box, after highlighting the text, I chose align left and the text went to the left side of the page and the numbers were aligned correctly. [the 0 under the 9].

Was this the procedure I was to follow? Because I "guessed" on the 2nd alignment [highlighting text and aligning left]

But, hey, thanks for your help and now I have the procedure "down"

Again THANKS,

Ellen  

• 3. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list

The text needs to be aligned left. You change the alignment of the number in the bullet and numbered list setting for the paragraph style.

• 4. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                Bowzetto Level 1

I changed the alignment in the number list to left as you stated and the text aligned to the right.

Using my "formula" from my previous post:

• Alignment = right
                • left indent = 2p6
                • 1st line indent = -0p6
                • tab left blank

I then checked the align left in the character & ¶ box it it aligned correctly, to the left with the 0 under the 9.

I've included the ¶ Styles Box so you can see exactly what options I've chosen.

ID STYLES BOX.jpg

And then, as I said, in the ¶ & character box, I chose left align.

I feel like such a dork. It's like I "think" I understand what you're saying & instructing but it's not working out that way. That's why I included the image box. Even checking "preview" it never worked.

In looking at the image provided, is there something I need to change? Changed the alignment to the left as you said but it didn't work.

Although, when I first type the unnumbered list, it is "recognized" as "basic paragraph" in the styles box. Should something in THAT box be changed first?

Like I said, "feelz like a dork"      Daz me!

Ellen, the weirdO

• 5. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list

You need to apply the style to the text after you create it. Otherwise it should work.

• 6. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                    Bowzetto Level 1

As usual, did exactly as you said. I have been doing that most recently. [creating text 1st & then selecting style which I named NUMBERED LIST -- easier to see in caps]

I write the text which is recognized as just "basic ¶"

In the styles box which I changed to "left" as you suggested, and then selected that style [bullets & numbering] the text goes left with the numbering "messed up"

BUT, when I change it to "right" alignment, and then in the character & ¶ box, chose left align, lines up perfectly with the 0 under the 9.

Looking at the specs for the basic ¶, it's aligned left but did change the font styles. Their choice was "junk" and I chose good ol' Arial. Just a BTW. Could there be something in the Basic ¶ style that could be messing up the end result??

Here's a screen cap of the text when I select the NUMBERED LIST style after just typing the text:

CATTYWAMPUS.jpg

But, when I chose align left in the ¶ box, [with the original settings of align right in the styles box]  lines up perfectly. This is soooo bizarre.    

A sad Ellen

• 7. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try setting the Tab Position equal to the Left Indent setting (not blank) with the (tab) Alignment Right. The paragraph alignment is Left.

The negative First Line Indent creates the space between the period and first letter— -1 would be tighter, -5 would be looser. The Left Indent and Tab position has to be enough to clear the numbers plus the space.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 11.19.28 PM.png

• 8. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list

That is right aligned text, not right aligned numbers.

Make sure the numbered list is NOT based on basic.

• 9. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                          Bowzetto Level 1

First, for Rob Day:

Your figures of the [Right<>18pt<>-3pt<>18pt] didn't work. And I made sure the Based on & Next style were both no ¶ style.

messy 1.jpg

As you can see, the spacing is uneven,

And for Bob, [so sorry to keep at this, but I'm trying to get this procedure to be just "one step" and not a few.]

And the "numbered list" style as well as the basic style are BOTH set to "no ¶ Style" for Based on & Next Style.

I'm sure I'm driving you all CWAYZEE and I apologize for that.

Do you have any other suggestions?

But, ya know, after I apply the Numbered list style, all I really have to do is one click extra: In the ¶ & character box, just click left align and voila! The numbered list is on the left, everything is spaced correctly and the 0 is under the 9.

I don't know, I just want to see if I can follow instructions and get it right. OY!       I feel more like a doofus just learning the computer for the first time.

Ellen

• 10. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you can see, the spacing is uneven,

If you want the numbers to line up the paragraph alignment has to be left justified. I think you are confusing the tab justification set in Bullets and Numbering, which has to be right, with paragraph justification set in the paragraph panel, which has to be left.

• 11. Re: aligning double digits in a numbered list
                              Bowzetto Level 1

Hi Rob,

Gettin' the whole team in here! Thanks!

Well, this is what I did:

In the ¶ style I created & named NUMBERED LIST as you can see  .  .  .  .

INDENTS and SPACING.jpg

The Bullets & Numbering settings remain the same [as was set all along to the right<>2p6<>-0p6<>2p6], Took your advice but in the "indents & Spacing" the alignment is "left Justify". Left character & ¶ formatting the same. And with ONE click, after I type the list, I select my styled "NUMBERED LIST" and Ta Ta lines up perfectly!

If this is what I was supposed to do, it worked. Thanks for the "left justify" advice. It worked in this case. Tried it in the character & ¶ box but to no avail. But in the indents & spacing, got the results I wanted.

Thanks for all your help. But just a BTW, was this what you wanted me to do or was there some other "procedure" I missed? And sometimes  .  .  .  I miss a lot OY!

Ellen