4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 2:42 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I get Premiere Elements 13 to Import Video from Sony Action Cam FDR-X1000V?

paulc72983986

When I try to import the (.MP4) video from my Action Cam I get a pop up with the message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

I installed Sony's "Action Cam Movie Creator" software and it works fine, so I know the files are not corrupt. Does anyone know how I can get the required codec or otherwise make the import work?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How can I get Premiere Elements 13 to Import Video from Sony Action Cam FDR-X1000V?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

paulc

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running? And, have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet? If not, please do that.

How are you trying to import these files into Premiere Elements 13 - Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets or other?

What is the Sony's recording setting - 4K or High Definition? Please detail. If 4K, is the sizing for 3840 x 2160? Premiere Elements 12 and 13 do have import and export settings for XAVC-S video and would be expected to support XAVC-S provided that you are not dealing with some proprietary codecs. In that regard, it might be hoped that a Sony utility or that Action Cam Movie Creator would provide any required codec.

Is there any chance that the camera is recording with a variable, rather than constant, frame rate? What is frame rate of your video?

Please consider and supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with your Premiere Elements 13/13.1? Other questions later based on your further reply.

• 2. Re: How can I get Premiere Elements 13 to Import Video from Sony Action Cam FDR-X1000V?
            paulc72983986 Level 1

OK thanks I just updated to 13.1 and now the videos I recorded at 1080p 120fps do import fine. Great! Thank you!

However, the video recorded at 720p 240fps High Definition still gives me the same error.

• If I understand correctly the 240fps should be a constant frame rate
            • I'm using the Add Media/Files and Folders method to import
            • I'm running Windows 7 Professional OS on an I7-5600 CPU with 8GB RAM
            • Yes I have the latest version of Quicktime (just checked for updates and it says I have the latest)

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3. Re: How can I get Premiere Elements 13 to Import Video from Sony Action Cam FDR-X1000V?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

paulc

Thanks for the reply.

After you import successfully the 1080 @ 120 frames per second in the Expert workspace, please right click the thumbnail for the file in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, what is listed for Frame Rate in the field "Use Frame Rate from file. Is it 120 or 60?

I think that your issue goes to the frame rate and Premiere Elements 13/13.1 non support for 240 frames per second in this case.

In viewing the online specifications, it would appear that you have

Imports

High Definition

XAVC-S

1920 x 1080p 120 progressive frames per second

Bitrate 100 Mbps

versus

Does not Import

High Definition

XAVC-S

1280 x 720p @ 240 progressive frames per second

Bitrate 100 Mbps

I have not found it, but does the camera give you the choice of 720p120? If so, can that be imported into Premiere Elements?

I am looking for some sample footage to explore the matter further.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I get Premiere Elements 13 to Import Video from Sony Action Cam FDR-X1000V?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

paulc

I have been doing some online searching related to Sony XAVC-S 720p240 and have not found anything that relates to Premiere Elements specifically, version 13 or other version of it.

I think that the issues goes to the frame rate of that specific XAVC-S format. Any chance you have a very short duration sample that we could test in various versions of Premiere Elements in order to determine if your issue is specific to your computer environment or is a general non support format for Premiere Elements whose max supported frames is 60 progressive frames per second. In one Amazon review of your camera, there was references made of problem importing the 720p240 in Premiere Pro.

ATR