9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 2:47 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?

DeepSetSyd

Hi,

In previous software packages I have been able to burn a disc and add additional files as ROM content. I use this to add the original photos to a disc as well as a slideshow movie. Can this be done in Premiere Elements?

Not finding the online help very useful so far!

Thanks,

Stewart

• 1. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stewart

The way that I see to do this is a following.

1. Take your Premiere Elements Timeline to burn to folder so that you have the VIDEO_TS Folder from that saved folder on the computer hard drive.

2. Place your ordered original photos (individual or in a folder) on the computer hard drive.

3. Open the 3rd party software named ImgBurn, use its "Write files/folders to disc" to import the VIDEO_TS Folder plus photos (in folder or not)

File Menu/Browse to a source folder for VIDEO_TS and folder for photos. Or, File Menu/Browse to a source file for when dealing with photos not in folder).

That should work. Please let us know the outcome.

I recall that works. I will road test it to make sure.

To be continued....

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Stewart

Just did some mini test runs...and no problems getting the content VIDEO-TS (for the DVD-VIDEO), photos as jpegs, and even slideshow as .mp4 file onto one DVD disc as described.

However, when it comes to play back, computer auto play for my computer player goes to DVD-VIDEO. If I want to see/hear the additions, I have to open the DVD disc and click on the files there to open them.

When it comes to regular TV DVD player, auto play goes to DVD-VIDEO for me. I know that the slideshow as .mp4 is not supported in that format, and I have to go to the player's instruction manual to determine if and how to open and display the photos from the disc in the TV screen using its regular DVD player.

I know you will not be using the original high definition photos, but consider using the workflow of "bonus" item on the existing Timeline.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome and if any of this worked for you. If any questions or need clarification on Timeline "bonus" or other, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
              DeepSetSyd Level 1

Thanks I;'ll try that.

Can you share a link to the Bonus utem idea - I can't find reference to it?

Thanks,

Syd

• 4. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Thanks for the reply.

What Movie Menu theme are you using?

I will write up a personalized how to for adding bonus items to your Timeline.

Some Movie Menu themes come with a built in main menu bonus button.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 5. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Let us start with a Movie Menu such a General/Fun with its main menu with 3 buttons - Play, Scenes, and Main Menu 1.

The mini project is going to have a movie with 2 scene markers, followed by the bonus area displaying the graphics that went into the movie. Using the main menu buttons, the viewer can select Play (see all of the movie before returning to the main menu) or Scenes to go to Scene Selection Page to select scene(s) before returning to the main menu. Use of the Bonus button of the main menu takes the viewer directly to the bonus section and then returns to the main menu.

To Do

1. Timeline

a. place scene markers for scenes in movie portion of the Timeline

b. place stop marker after the last item in the movie portion of the Timeline.

c. place the first bonus item about 10 frames after the placement of that stop marker; now place a main menu marker at the beginning of the first bonus item.

(I embellished the bonus portion of the Timeline with a frame overlay from Titles and Text in order to give each of my bonus items a framed look.)

An Overall View In Movie Customization Area

Fun.jpg

A Close Up VIew of Embellishment (frame) for bonus item as seen in Edit area monitor.

Embellishment.JPG

I could have omitted the frame and just given the image the whole space. This was a 1920 x 1080p30 project.

Movie Menu Customization Area

a. Change the name of main menu's "Main Menu 1" to "Bonus".

b. Preview the menus to determine if the navigation buttons are working as intended.

Please review and consider in context with the prior details. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                    DeepSetSyd Level 1

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I was using Faux Widescreen for this project.

• 7. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Thanks for the reply.

The Faux Widescreen main menu setup should work for you for following through the suggested details for the Timeline "bonus" workflow.

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                        DeepSetSyd Level 1

Hi,

I had some trouble burning the disc with the video plus slideshows and folder content, but I've had another go. Some sort of problem writing Dual Layer discs, not sure if it is the discs or the drive, but I've split the project into 2 DVDs - one for the video and one for slideshows of stills, using the Bonus footage approach. For the Slideshow disc I have used ImgBurn and added the extra folders, and it has worked perfectly!

Now to fire up photoshop and design a cover...

Cheers for all the help,

Syd

• 9. Re: Elements 13 - ca I add extra files to a disc?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Syd

Thanks for the great news of your progress. Great job.

Just something to consider as you move to Photoshop for designing a label for the DVD discs.

Going paper labels can be risky. One never knows if the disc with the paper label will get stuck in the recipients DVD burner drive. I have never had a problem with disc paper labels, but online is full of reports to advise against their use.

The LightScribe labels are a consideration, but you need a LightScribe disc, LightScribe software, and burner that supports LightScribe...this approach results in a tonal design on the surface of the special LightScribe disc.

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00263161.pdf
                          LightScribe System Software | Lightscribe Software - Free and Premium Lightscribe Labeling Software

What I have been using...I design the label and then print it onto the surface of special DVD disc which has a print on specification. Obtaining a printer that has the print label on disc surface feature is another challenge and expense. I purchased my printer with this feature several years ago for around $100 US Dollars. I do not know if they can still be found at that low a price.

Best wishes

ATR