7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 5:37 AM by Daniel Sterchi

Lightroom Sync with redirected folders

mylesgray

Hi,

I have Lightroom CC running on my mac and it has collections synced with Lightroom cloud.

I have installed LR CC on my other laptop (a domain joined Windows 8.1 box with redirected folders).

Upon first launch of LR on the Windows machine it tries to created the Lightroom Catalogue based on the cloud synced catalogue as expected, however this fails as the default location for this to be created is in the Documents folder which has been remapped to a UNC path due to domain policy.

It is not possible to change the initial directory or location of the catalogue as far as I can see that would allow me to redirect this to the local Documents folder before doing the sync.

Does anyone have any info on this or a workaround?

Cheers!

Myles

• 1. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders
          Daniel Sterchi Adobe Community Professional

Hi mylesgray

A Lightroom Catalog can't be on a network drive. It can reside on a local drive or an USB or Firewire Drive. So no Lighrtroom catalog on an UNC path.

But you can choose in which directory a Lightroom catalog is created. Just press the ALT key while starting Lightroom. Then you are provided with a windows in which you can choose a directory.

I hope that is the solution to your question

kind regards

Daniel (from Switzerland)

• 2. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders
            mylesgray Level 1

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply, I know it won't work on UNC or network.

The problem i'm encountering is, i've signed into CC, i've installed LR CC and it automatically tries to download the catalogue hosted in LR Cloud to a local directory.

However, the local directory LR chooses is a UNC path and I have no ability to change it, in LR or otherwise - holding down alt, brings up the window but "Create New Catalogue" only allows a new one to be created, not to download the LR Cloud one to a manually specified location.

Myles

• 3. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders

When you have your files in the creative cloud, you should be able to move your catalog from your «creative Cloud» directory to an other local directory (you have to move all directories for LR). Then when LR doesn't find a Catalog it asks you where it should look for one.

Perhaps you have to synchronise the LR folders inside LR afterwards. I moved my LR catalog and the directories once but doesn't remember if I hat to synchronise the folders after I have moved all the stuff.

kind regards

• 4. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders
                mylesgray Level 1

Hi Daniel,

I think you are misunderstanding.

My catalogue doesn't live in the Creative Cloud file sharing service.

I have a standard LR catalogue that lives locally on my Mac, I have turned on Lightroom Mobile syncing on a few collections and the Smart Previews have been uploaded.

When I open lightroom on the Windows domain joined device for the first time it checks LR Mobile for a catalogue and tries to sync that, but fails due to the UNC path redirection enforced by domain policy.

Is it possible to manually move or specify a location for the LR Mobile synced catalogue?

Myles

• 5. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders

Just to understad a little more. Your «Windows domain joined device» is an android device?

Please forgive me if I don't get your right there.

I think we will solve the problem finally.

I use Mac together with an iPhone, thats why I ask you about android and windows.

Normally you have one LR Catalog residing on a local Disk. This is «only» a database which knows where your images are stored. Inside LR you can form collections without moving an image. Now can then choose which collection(s) you want to synchronise with the mobile device (either a iPhone, iPad,…, or an android device).

As far as I know the mobile device doesn't know where your images reside nor does it know where your LR catalog is stored. The mobile device communicates with the LR software and syncs this way.

kind regards

• 6. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders
                    mylesgray Level 1

No, it's a Windows 8.1 Laptop.

The idea behind Lightroom Sync to me is that the same collections are synced across multiple devices and can be edited on each individually, as such, if I have a collection on my Mac, it should be available on my Windows laptop and iOS tablet too.

The iOS tablet works fine, the Windows laptop does not due to LR trying to create a default catalogue on a UNC path - all I want to do is sync my lightroom collections from lightroom mobile/cloud or whatever it's called to my Windows laptop and I can't due to LR automatically trying to create a catalogue in a UNC path.

Nor can I just create a new catalogue on my Windows laptop and have it sync with my existing Lightroom mobile collections as it asks me to override the catalogue that already exists in LR mobile, which is not what I want to do.

I can upload a video of what happens if needed.

Myles

• 7. Re: Lightroom Sync with redirected folders

Ok now I got it.

I regret but what you want to do is not possible with the mobile sync. The idea behind the mobile sync is to sync LR with a mobile device (iPhone,…)

It is however possible to work with a LR Catalog on two devices. I do this all the time. To do that I have an USB-Harddisk on which my Catalog an my images resides.

You put your LR catalog on an USB (Firewire) drive and open LR with the ALT-Key. Then you can choose which catalog LR should use. It is the same dialog with which you can create a new LR catalog. Direct it to use the catalog on the USB drive. Do the same with the other computer and up you go.

kind regards

(It is eve possible to have more then one LR Catalog on an non network drive…)