10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 2:13 PM by kristay28691023

Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.

kristay28691023

Audio is in in sync until I export and play back on DVD. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kristay

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of your source media on the Timeline? Is your source media coming from cell phone recording or from a DVD video file (VTS_01_1.VOB)?

What is the project preset that you (manually) or the Project (automatically) has established? What are readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What are your export settings...DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
            kristay28691023 Level 1

ATR,

I'm running Premiere Elements 13.1 on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

The source media is an MPEG movie file from a video camera.

Project Preset:

Editing Mode: HD 1080i

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size: 1920

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Export: DVD-Video standard on DVD disc.

I don't know where to find the project preset.

Thanks for taking a look!

• 3. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kristay

Good information.

The information that you posted tells us the project preset - it is the project default which is

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

which represents 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

At this point I do not know if that is the correct project preset for what you put on the Timeline.

I need that MPEG movie details for especially frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio.

But, the significant news is that your export setting is not consistent with the project preset.

Assuming that the project preset is correct (still suspect), the export settings are not right.

You show

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc with preset = DVD-VIDEO Standard (NTSC_Dolby DVD).

If the project setting is really correct, it should have been

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc with preset = DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD).

Please see if you can confirm the properties of your MPEG movie on that Timeline, and then we will put this all together.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                kristay28691023 Level 1

ATR,

MPEG:

Frame size: I don't see. There is an Image Size and that's 1920x1080.

Frame rate: 29.97

Pixel Aspect ratio: 1.0

When I selected export, it did default to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen but I had changed it to standard.  Is that my problem? I should have left it Widescreen?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

kristay

Thanks for the reply.

You can get into problems exporting a 16:9 Timeline to a 4:3 export. So, we need to focus on this one point.

Please do the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, and determine if the the audio out of sync issue is gone.

I suspect it should be, but, if not, then we will go back and look at the other project details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                    kristay28691023 Level 1

ATR,

I changed to exporting to NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD and the sync was better but still off in a couple of places. I then learned I'm not supposed to put end markers at the end of each of my scenes. I took all those out except for the one at the very end of the movie. Now the sync is perfect.

Thank you so much for your help!

Krista

• 7. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kristay

Thanks for the wonderful news of success, but....

But, with those stop markers....stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline is not necessary and creates burn to disc errors. So, that one really should go. I am not sure of what your plan was for having stop markers at the end of each scene. We can discuss that if need be.

You should be able to put scene markers and main menu markers (even stop markers except at end) without issue, provided you to not have one sitting on another...leave a few frames between them in placing them.

The classical comment is "don't mess with a good thing". You seem to have gotten the end product that you sought. Great news. But, I thought that I had better mention the above.

Any questions or clarification needed, please ask. But, for now, I am assuming that all is well.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                        kristay28691023 Level 1

ATR,

I'm glad to know about the stop markers. I had put them at the end of scenes so that I could play only that scene, but when I saw I couldn't also play the whole movie I got rid of them. A tutorial I watched said to put a stop at the end of the movie. I will take that one out. I'm still unclear as to when to use main menu markers.

Thank you for the time you spent on this!

Krista

• 9. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Krista

Thanks for the follow up.

Putting a stop marker at the end of the last item on a Premiere Elements Timeline is not done without negative consequences for something that is not needed.

If you had more than one movie on the Timeline, that is when the stop marker function shines so that you can use menu buttons to allow the viewer to go to and selectively watch a movie in the group of movies. Important...that type of situation applies only to DVD-VIDEO. If you create a AVCHD on DVD or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc and you have added stop markers to the project's Timeline, then the moment of truth to discover that stop markers in those products are not recognized by the player.

There are times when you might want to have a main main movie on the Timeline and also have some "bonus" items after the movie.

Some of the Movie Menu themes have a "bonus" button or "Main Menu 1" button that can be used for this purpose

a. stop marker at the end of the Timeline movie

b. a few frames space between that stop marker and then placement of the bonus item...at the beginning of the first item of the bonus section would be a main menu marker.

There might be times when you want to set up for a one page main menu for multi movie navigation - then main menu marker at the beginning of each of the Timeline movies.

But, progress sounds good. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Audio loses sync when exporting to DVD.
                            kristay28691023 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the information and the clarification. I am grateful for the generosity of your time and experience!

Krista