22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 11:20 AM by A.T. Romano

whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?

norm9704

I have Windows 8.1 and Premiere Elements 10. I have a new computer with 16GB RAM & an Intel I-7 chip and 4 GB of dedicated graphics, so I should have plenty of capability, but every time I try to burn a disc, I get a message saying PE has a problem and is closing down. It does not tell me what the problem is. I am trying to burn a large file (about 25 GB of HD) but asking PE to fit the file into the available space of a 4.7GB DVD-RW file. It worked on my old computer, but not my new one.

Why won't PE burn my disc?

• 1. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

norm

Is this a burn to DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen or burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc?

The DVD disc spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 minutes in reality is 4.38 GB. And, DVD disc spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 minutes in reality is 7.95 GB.

The Bitrate feature can lower the file size as much as it can to make the fit - highest Bitrate set is 8.00 Mbps and lowest 1.69 Mbps. I see this as a disc capacity problem rather than an Premiere Elements one. And, I would question how you got 25 GB on a DVD disc even with the burn to bitrate down to 1.69 Mbps.

So, I would first ask you to review your prior work details where you say that "It worked on my old computer, but not my new one".

With this 25 GB file on the Timeline, what was the burn dialog's Quality area Space Require and Bitrate reading just before you would hit Burn - with and without a check mark next to the option for "Fit Content to Available Space"?

At the present time in your new system, how far do you get

a. immediately when you hit Burn in the burn dialog?

b. during Encoding Menus, Encoding Media, Compiling Media, or Burning Disc?

Please review and consider, and supply more information. Then we will try to put the information together to decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
            norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, I was mistaken about the size of the file for  burning to  a DVD. In AVCHD, it was only 8.25 GB.

In std. DVD, it was 3.87GB and it would have burned at 8.00 Mbps, with or without the Fit-to-size button checked. I wanted it in Widescreen.

Premiere elements stops working a second or so after it starts encoding files.

I have an external LG burner. Do you think that is the cause of my problems? The external burner is recognized by the computer.

Norman

• 3. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the reply with additional information.

The following is addressed to your present situation which I believe is unsuccessful burn to disc with DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Since your Space Required appears to be 3.87 GB and Bitrate = 8.00 Mbps, I do not see any disc capacity problem in that.

Let us determine if we can factor in or out the external LG burner in all this.

1. Please do the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to Folder (4.7 GB) using the preset of NTSC_Widescreen_DVD Dolby.

Then look for the saved folder in location that you designated in the burn dialog's Save In field. Before the burn to folder, give the folder a distinctive name so that you can more easily find it in the Save In location. The saved folder should contain two folders - one named OpenDVD and the other named VIDEO_TS. Is that successful or does this run into the same error as burn to disc?

Please review the above and let us know the outcome. Also, let me know if I have all your details correctly stated....want to make sure we are in sync.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                norm9704 Level 1

dear AT,I got the same problem when burning to folder: a second or two after hitting burn, Premiere Elements shut down.

Separately, at startup, I keep getting a message that I don't have all content, themes, etc installed. I only installed Disc 2 of the 5 discs, thinking I would never use the themes & other content,etc. Do you think I need to install these or do you think I have another problem?

Norman

• 5. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the follow up with the latest results.

The good news is that the results seem to take the external burner out of the problem equation.

I do not think that uninstalled DVD menu templates are involved. I believe the message that you are getting is just one of what they call nag messages reminding you that you have not installed the DVD menu templates. The only problem that I see there is if you are attempting to use a DVD menu template in your project that was never downloaded. But, I am not seeing how that is possible.There should be one DVD menu template that comes complete with the install of the program. For version 10, I think the menu that comes with the install is named Fun.

If you ever want to download all the DVD menu templates, the best way is from the Windows content disc which you seem to have. There is an online source for those files, but the download time is dependent on your Internet speed.

It is probably time to do

a. uninstall

b. free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

c. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Let us see if the above resolves any or all of the issues here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                    norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, I did all that you suggested and the first time I tried to burn a DVD, it worked! The second & third time, it failed and Premiere Elements closed down within a few seconds of starting to encode files. Is there anything else that I could try? Norman

• 7. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

On these subsequent burn to disc that have failed, have you tried to take that same Timeline content to burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or (8.5 GB) and been successful at that? If you have not tried that, please do that for one of these burn to disc that was unsuccessful.

Rather than try another uninstall/free ccleaner/reinstall routine, we could look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in that 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Your burn to folder results will be important in deciding what next.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                        norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, I tried burning to folder at both 4.7 & 8.5 GB, and in both cases, Premiere Elements closed on me just after starting to encode files. It is late, so I will try your other suggestions tomorrow. Thanks for your interest & help.

Norman

• 9. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the reply.

If you are running into problems with the burn to folder as well as the burn to disc, we probably will have to take a closer look at the Timeline content and its structure. Maybe Timeline markers and menus also. Expanding the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline might help us to identify any problems.

When you used the ccleaner previously, did you notice that it had a lot to clear? I wondering if you might have some files pile ups. We could double check the Scratch Disks to assure that they are all pointed to a hard drive save location with plenty of free space to accept the files that the project automatically sends to them.

We will be watching for your progress tomorrow or as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                            norm9704 Level 1

AT: yes there was 4GB cleaned, which surprised me for its large size. I'll start with your other suggestions now. Norman

• 11. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                              norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, no success. I went in to C:/users/owner/app data/roaming/adobe/premiere elements//10.0/ and found the prefs file, deleted it, then tried a burn, but the same problem occurred- PE closed down an starting to encode data.

I then checked the C:/users/owner/app data/roaming/adobe/premiere elements//10.0/ and found the prefs file still there; each time I delete it, it keeps coming back.

I then tried deleting the 10.0 whole folder, but each time I got an error message to say that the file could not be deleted because it is open in another program, even after rebooting and not opening any other program.

Is there anything else I can do? Norman

• 12. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the results.

After you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole 10.0 (in your case) in which it exists, each will be generated again once you open Premiere Elements 10. But, you will have a new Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and new 10.0 Folder (if you deleted the 10.0 Folder). So, that part of your report was normal.

Please try for the deletion of that whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Before you try that again, make sure to open the Task Manager/Processes and do an End Process for any Adobe .exe files you find in the list. Then follow the path to the 10.0 Folder (path already given), delete it, close out of there. And, the open Premiere Elements Editor again, and determine if any, or all, of the issues are gone.

Please let me know where the Scratch Disks are pointed at this time and how much free hard drive space is at each of the scratch disks categories save locations. I am particularly interested in the Scratch Disk category named Disk Encoding. Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for the save locations for each of these scratch disks. You will also see the free hard drive space amounts there also.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                  norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, I looked at the Scratch disks capacities and all, including disk encoding, were 330 GB.

On going to Task manager/processes, there was an adobe PE 10 file which was a .EXE file, so I deleted it. Then I opened up Premiere elements to look for my file in Documents/adobe/PE/10.0, but the file was empty.

Then I went closed PE & went to C:/users/owner/app data/roaming/adobe/PE and tried to delete 10.0 folder, but once again I got the message that I could not delete the file because it was open in another application. Then I sent this reply.

It looks to me like there is plenty of disk space for encoding & that there is something else wrong. Perhaps I deleted the wrong .exe file. Norman

• 14. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                    norm9704 Level 1

AT: I noticed while in task manager? there was a button for optimizing PE for different versions of Windows. Is that worth a try? Norman

• 15. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to Properties/Compatibility when you talk of optimizing PE for different versions of Windows?

If that is the case, I would ask you to try first right clicking the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 10 and selecting and applying Run As Administrator

I know that you have said that you have done it before and it worked (but temporarily), it might be a good idea at this point to repeat

a. uninstall

b. free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

c. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

in order to determine if now the end result will be permanent instead of temporary as before.

ATR

• 16. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                        norm9704 Level 1

AT: you are right; it was not task manager, but PE/properties/compatability. I ran that as administrator & did the optimization.

I then restored my travel file from the waste basket, opened up PE and tried to burn a disc, but got the same error message as before.

Meanwhile, the DVD+RW that I got to burn after first re-installing PE failed to run in my DVD player; so even though I got the one-time burn, the DVD player did not recognize it. Could it be that the encoding program is not working correctly?

I thought I would run this past you before trying the uninstall/install that you recommended, since I may get the same result of a non-functioning burnt disk. Norman

• 17. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the update.

What is this DVD player that you are using? Is it a standalone or one that came with TV? With that DVD+RW, it is now not being recognized by computer DVD player as well as by TV DVD player?

What is the brand for the DVD+RW that was involved in that DVD-VIDEO on DVD success?

The involvement of the DVD player needs some defining before you take the time to revisit the uninstall/reinstall troubleshooting.

ATR

• 18. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                            norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, the DVD player is linked to the TV set. I just tried to play the problem DVD on the computer, but it will not play there either. There are two files on the DVD - open DVD and Video_TS.

My DVDs are Memorex DVD+RW DVDs. I have used Memorex DVD+RWs in the past with Adobe Premiere Elements files with no problem. What next?

• 19. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

If you put the problem DVD+RW in the burner tray and explore the disc content from there...

1. Go to the VIDEO_TS Folder, open it.

2. Double click  the VTS_01_1.VOB file in the VIDEO_TS Folder. Can you get playback of that file in your computer player?

In this test, what are you using as the computer player for the file?

ATR

• 20. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                                norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT: I was not able to open it (VTS_01_1.VOB file).

I have to confess that I had not installed the LG software for the external disk drive on the new computer. That is embarrassing! Now I have installed it and it looks like I have a big issue with the graphics driver. The new computer has a AMD Ratheon R9M275 graphics card and apparently does not have a driver 14.300.1006.0. I have a commercial DVD that will play on my new computer, but Premiere Elements' DVDs that I have burned before on the old computer will not play on the new computer with the AMD graphics card.

After installing the LG software for the external  disk burner, I tried again in Premiere Elements to burn a DVD on the external disc burner, but I ran into the same problem of PE closing down shortly after it started to encode data.

Do you have any expertise with graphics drivers? It looks to me like I need to resolve the graphics driver issue before PE will burn a disk. What do you think? I am beginning to regret buying this new computer. Norman

• 21. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                                  norm9704 Level 1

Dear AT, I got so disgusted with my attempts to burn PE discs that I returned my new Lenovo laptop with the Windows 8.1.

I saw on the internet somewhere that Windows Media Player was not compatible with Windows 8.1. Also the Levovo tech support told me that Adobe Premiere Elements is not fully compatible with Windows 8.. Do you know if these statements are true? But for now, I am sticking to my old slow computer with Windows 7.

Thanks for all your interest in my problem. Norman

• 22. Re: whenever I try to burn a disc, Premiere elements 10 closes down. What am I doing wrong?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Norman

Thanks for the update.

I have used Premiere Elements at least 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, 11, 12.0/12.1, and 13.0/13.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and before that several versions on Windows 8 64 bit. As a matter of fact, with Lenovo laptops. Although there are flaws in the Premiere Elements programs (seen by many but not all) which Adobe has addressed in version updates and/or promises to fix in the "next version", I would not make the generalization that Premiere Elements is not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. I think that the next round of Premiere Elements and Windows compatibility questions will come in another month when Microsoft releases Windows 10. Some seem to say "no problems", but.....

Although I have access to Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.1 64 bit computers, I still gravitate to Windows 7. So, if you have a working Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit and have all the features that you need for your productions, I would not move from that position until you need to.

As for the Windows Media Player, that is a Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 issue related to its lack of support for playback of video that uses MPEG2 video compression. Many have worked around that by using the free VLC player for the MPEG2.mpg playback on Windows 8 and 8.1 64 bit. You may find the following article on Windows 10 interesting

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01/25/windows-10-vs-windows-7-what-you-need-to-know/

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR