7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 5:37 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?

MagicMcWit

I have done a slideshow.  I have trouble with photos showing full size on my TV screen.  I have formatted for NTSC-AVCHD 1080 p60 and HDV 1080i and get the same results.  Photos show full screen on the computer DVD player like desired, but when played on the TV, it leaves a black border all the way around, actually making the photos about 1/2 the size they should be.  Any ideas?  I have another slideshow made by someone else with very low resolution (using the same photos) that shows them at full screen so I don't think it is the DVD player or the TV.

• 1. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MagicMcWit

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

How did you export this Timeline with your slideshow content from Premiere Elements - as a disc product or as a file? If as a file, to what did you transfer the file for the TV DVD player playback - USB Flash Drive or Memory Card?

If you are exporting to file and using 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 export setting, don't. Use instead for the export settings, an appropriate preset which is described for 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Have you explored the settings on the TV and/or the DVD player.

Please consider and supply the information needed for us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
            MagicMcWit Level 1

Premiere Elements 13.  Window 8.1.

Exported to disc on an external DVD writer.

I just got the new version 2 days ago, so still learning where to find everything.  I had been using a much older version with no difficulties.

Yes I explored TV settings and found no reason for it not to display in full.  There is a border on all four sides.  I had enlarged all images to around 2000 pixels (on the longer side) and 299 dpi before loading into program.

When I compare the details from the DVD (same photos but in lower resolution) that plays in full screen and the 3  I did with different settings, other than larger image files they are very similar.  They both show a frame of 720 X 480.

Thanks...MM

• 3. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MM

Thanks for the reply with additional information.

What are the properties of your original source media (before you started adjusting them), and what are they - stills or video?

If stills, what pixel dimensions (width and height in pixels) and how many stills?

If video, what format (frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio....etc.)

The above is the most important question at this point.

Just in case mention...When you burn to NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 on DVD disc, the frame size is same 720 x 480. The difference for the widescreen is related to a 16:9 flag stretching the video to about 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

Also, Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 have a different default project preset than 10. It is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 in contrast to the default project preset NTSC DV Standard of Premiere Elements 10 and earlier.

Once we have the answers to the above questions, we should be able to sort this issue out to find the solution. I will post full how to at the time.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
                MagicMcWit Level 1

All my photos of different sizes... some from scans and some from digital cameras or phones.  ALL STILLS - 91 in total

Below is a random example - original first and resized beside it.

173 X 256 - 96 dpi             to         1580 X 2339 -   96 dpi (I missed the dpi increase)

706 X 794 - 299 dpi           to         2083 X 2343 - 299 dpi

4288 X 3216 - 480 dpi       to         3845 X 2968 - 480 dpi

1174 X 857 - 299 dpi         to         1972 x 1466 - 299 dpi

1199 X 830 - 96 dpi           to         2159 X 1494 -  96 dpi

Thanks for your help. MM

• 5. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MagicMcWit

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)....

For now I am assuming that your 91 stills (with Premiere Elements atypical dimensions) are destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD. What is your intent - DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 which is 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

or

DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 which is 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, stretched by a 16:9 flag to 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

A project preset must be selected for all projects. And, the project preset directs the project what to give as the space in the Edit area monitor. If there is a match between project settings and source properties (frame size in your case) ideally your source will display within that space so that you see no black borders. Keep in mind that video is 4:3 or 16:9 which none of your photos are and are landscape oriented which some of your photos are. And, up scaling is prone to pixelation - refer to your 173 x 256 which you opted to up scale to 1580 x 2339 to try to force a photo fit without black borders. Because of the diversity of your photo dimensions, I am hesitant about suggesting batch processing anything for these photos in spite of the fact that you have 91 photos with which to deal.

The following is what I would like you to try as a mini test run before finalizing a workflow to get your project done...it is a mini test run using your originals or your photos resized as you posted.

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings and change the project preset to

NTSC DV Widescreen. The space that is established in the Edit area monitor in this case reflects the stretched frame size 856 x 480 16:9 and not 720 x 480.

2. Go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and remove the check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

3. Then import a small group of photos with diverse dimensions.

2. Scale each of the photos so that they just fit into the Edit area space (no black borders).

3. Then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

4. When you view the NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on your TV DVD player set for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen playback, do you get full display and what is the quality?

Please consider and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thanks for considering the suggestions. Again, the above is a mini test run and not the finalized suggestion.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
                    MagicMcWit Level 1

Okay,  I did that, though I did not have a option in the General Settings menu to remove the check from "Scale to Frame Size".  Once I had the photos loaded, I did manually uncheck that box in each photo and then sized them with the corner drags.  I did leave side borders on the portrait photos and in some cases on landscape, but removed ALL the border from top and bottom.  The results were the same.  I can click on the zoom button on my TV and have it show properly (full screen), however, when I put the original disc in that was viewing full screen then it is too large and the photos get cut off.  In other words, the orginal (low res) video shows fine with no changes to the TV, but the new one with hi res photos shows too small unless I zoom in (which also messes up my TV, so I can't believe that I should need to zoom).

I did notice that the project settings showed a frame size of 720 X 480 even though I had set them at widescreen.

Is there a way to reset all settings to default and start from there again?  I had first made a video with a video file and it does fine.  Perhaps I made a change I am missing between the two.  Thanks, MM

• 7. Re: How do I get photos to display full screen on TV via DVD player?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MagicMcWit

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 8.1 (Assumed 64 bit).

After you open a project to the Expert workspace and go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, there is a preference there for

"Default Scale to Frame Size".

pre.jpg

When you did this mini test run

a. Did you set the project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen?

b. When you dragged the photos to the Timeline and scaled them for fit you wanted in the Edit area space (removed the check mark next to Scale to Frame Size), were you satisfied with the look.

c. After you took that Timeline to burn to disc DVD with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset and had your disc product, did you use the TV DVD player's setting for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc playback? Or, is the only TV DVD player setting that you know of = Zoom? I am wondering if your TV DVD player is only for DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc. Do you have access to another TV DVD player to confirm that results that we have been working on?

At this point, I am tending to believe the issue goes to your TV DVD player settings.

I do not think it involved here, but you can delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to "flush the preferences" and start your project again rather than just starting a new project with the settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs) as is.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the whole path given.

As I have said previously, you are going to see 720 x 480 as a frame size for both NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard and Widescreen. But, for display of widescreen 16:9, during playback a 16:9 flag instructs the player to display the footage stretched to 856 x 480. Perhaps the player is having a problem interpreting the 16:9 flag. If we need to prove this point, set up the project for NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard (no 16:9 flag), and observe how your TV DVD Player handles the playback of your NTSC DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc..

a. Set project preset to NTSC DV Standard

b. Scale your photos to fit in the Edit area space established for the NTSC DV Standard 4:3 format

c. Burn to Disc using NTSC_Dolby DVD.

Please consider.

ATR