2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 8:21 PM by juleswillow

Compound path/text/rounded corners

juleswillow

Hi there,

I am having trouble with an element of my logo. It's fine in print as my white text on green is perfect, but I am wanting it as a window decal where the shape is white and the text cut out so you can see through the window. My problem is creating the rounded rectangle means the text also becomes "rounded" - how can I do  perfect rounded corners yet not alter my text? Hopefully the images illustrate my problem (I have inserted a green background here just to make it visible). Maybe I just need to manually round my edges - need to figure out a perfect way to do that. I am using Illustrator CC.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 12.49.40 pm.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-02 at 12.34.56 pm.png

• 1. Re: Compound path/text/rounded corners
          Rita Amladi JapanEmployeeModerator

Hello,

In Illustrator CC, you can create a rectangle with rounded corners easily by using rounding widgets. See the Live Shapes tutorial to learn how.

Separately, create the text (“MARKET”). Select the text, and choose Type > Create Outlines. Next, choose Object > Expand, followed by Object > Ungroup.

Next, select the Shape Builder tool (Shift + M) in the Tools panel and Shift + click in the counters, or closed spaces of the letters you want filled in (example, the closed spaces of the letters A, and E in “MARKET”).

Next, drag the entire text over on the top of the rounded rectangle with the Selection tool. Select the Shape Builder tool again, and Option/Alt + click each letter to subtract or cut it from the rounded rectangle. To finish, you can select both the elements and group them if you wish.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Rita Amladi

Customer Learning

ramladi@adobe.com

• 2. Re: Compound path/text/rounded corners
            juleswillow Level 1

THANK YOU! This answer is perfect. Your help is very much appreciated.  Jules