11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 5:16 AM by john beardsworth

Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom

DanMillerUK

Under the Print tab, there is the facility to control the page layout. However, when using the Book tab, the layouts are all predefined.

I asked Blurb: "I would like to use multiple photos on page (10 or so) but the standard layout in Lightroom does not appear to allow it. It goes from 4 per page to a grid of photos. Is there a way to freely layout any number of pictures and adjust the sizes of the frames? I know some packages offer such options including overlaying a montage or rotating the images, but I like the Blurb layout in general and have been impressed with the printing quality. Something like edit page layout within Lightroom is what I am seeking."

Blurb replied "It sounds like your best bet is to contact Lightroom support directly from the link below. They should have more detailed information to help you with this problem. (Blurb only handles the actual printing of your file or the conversion into a Blurb ebook)."

Any suggestions?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Is there a way to freely layout any number of pictures and adjust the sizes of the frames?

No. In the Book module you are limited to the page templates built-in to lightroom.

A work-around method is-

1. Create your full page in the PRINT module using "Custom Package"  in the Layout Style panel.

2. Set  "Print to JPG File" in the Print Job panel

3. Set your JPG options. **Note you can set Page size here. Do before designing the cells!

4. You can insert any number of cells that can be re-sized and re-positioned to your liking. Overlay, etc.

5. You can set Background colour, Identity plates, etc.

6. Finally click [Print to File...] button and save the page in a new JPG file.

7.  Remember where you save as you will have to IMPORT the JPG file into the catalog to place it in your Book.!

and lastly-

8. Save your Cell design layout as a TEMPLATE PRESET, click the + at the top of the Template Browser panel. You will have the layout design available to use with any other images for more pages. Save several modifications of your preset 'Template' for variety.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
            ISeward Level 1

As you are in the UK you might want to look at BobsBooks as an external Photo Book provider.

I use LR to develop all of my images and then export the jpgs to a book project folder and use the export to sub folder option to organise the photos into the groups I will require for the book.

The book organiser software is very flexible and the quality of the printing I have found to be very good.

LR is the best "jack of all trades program" but I prefer dedicated software for tasks like book production which I consider "critical" - I am spending money :-)

Ian

• 3. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
              yogamama1967

Just want to throw in my two cents - this is infuriating.  A powerful software program like Lightroom should have a much more robust book creation module.  I have put a lot of time and effort into importing, organizing, and editing my photos in LR.  I discovered the book module and thought I would have a "one stop shop" for creating photo books, ideal as I plan to make 15-20 for my family over the next several months.  Now I will continue to use other photo services.

• 4. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Some further discussion-

If you "use other photo services"  you will have to Export ALL the images you require for the book and then design in their software. You will still need to add images to multi-image layouts that you modify to your liking.

Designing in Lightroom, the only images you need to 'export' will be the multi-page layouts that you design in the Print module (or in Photoshop) and only when Lightroom can not provide a suitable template book page.

If you have saved print templates for 'Custom Page' layouts, it takes but "seconds" to create a Multi-image page and export as a new jpg file. The templates that you design makes this always easily repeatable.

If you want every page as a multi-image layout then it is still possible to "Print" many images to your template design, Export as jpg, and then easily "Auto Layout" in the Book module.

If you want random rotated images, fancy scrap-booking frills, etc, then- yes! go else-where.

Three of my Print templates for use in Lr book module-

ScreenShot304.jpg

If I use the same Print Template I can create ALL the pages using many photos in Lightroom, and save as multiple JPGs with one click of the [Print to File] button!

eg. 18 images, Print module, my 9xTemplate, one click on [Print to File] button- I have two pages for the book. (I did this in 30 seconds!)

ScreenShot305.jpg

3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                  chrispy104 Level 1

The point is that everyone is a bit savage about the restrictions on page layouts within this Book module.  There should be an option to freely place images and text where you want them on a page by page basis within the Book module without being confined to creating templates and going backwards and forwards from the Print module to achieve that.  This is just pure frustration and for Adobe to simply ignore this gripe by so many people defies logic.  I mean what is the payoff to them by being so restrictive?

Apple have discontinued support for Aperture which allowed just that, an ability to freely create your page layout how ever you want as you begin to create your book.  Now that I, and many others, have to move to Lightroom one begs the question as to why the developers have gone down this path and made it so restrictive.  Somebody tell me why.

And that is why there are people moving to other platforms to create their books.  They may as well not bother with Lightroom and choose another Library/Catalogue system and then use these 3rd party companies to create their books the way they want them and simply.

People ask me whether I would recommend Lightroom.  I asked them if they want to create books and freely layout the pages and if they say Yes, I tell them, "Well don't bother expecting Lightroom to make that process easy."

Chris

• 6. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                    YvesP

The book module was the exact reason I moved over to LR, as I was eager to have a professional all-in-one package to print my books with Blurb. There shouldn't be work-arounds that complicate the layout of a picture over two pages, or easily reshuffle the images within the template. In that case there really is no point in paying 13€/month, so I'm afraid it's cancellation time. Adobe's back out, no more CC plan for me, it's back to proprietary software.

Sorry Adobe, I was expecting your software to have at least the basics!

• 7. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Much about the book module was awkwardly-designed, but there are huge advantages doing book layout in the same program where you manage and adjust your pictures.

However, you don't need complicated workarounds to layout a picture over two pages. You just set the page type to one of the "two page spreads". And you don't need complicated workarounds to shuffle pictures within the template. You just drag a picture from one page and drop it on another picture. You'll see they swap over. It's best to learn the basics.

• 8. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                        chrispy104 Level 1

Much about the book module was awkwardly-designed

Never a truer word was spoken and users have been complaining about this for FIVE YEARS.

there are huge advantages doing book layout in the same program where you manage and adjust your pictures.

Again couldn't agree with you more.  BUT, you are missing the point in that there is no ability to freely place text and images on the pages as and where you want them.  Being restricted to templates means that you have no latitude to be creative which is the whole point of a book.

All I say to adobe is, "Just Fix It"

• 9. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom

chrispy104 wrote:

BUT, you are missing the point in that there is no ability to freely place text and images on the pages as and where you want them. Being restricted to templates means that you have no latitude to be creative which is the whole point of a book.

All I say to adobe is, "Just Fix It"

Not missing that point at all - it's what was in my mind when I wrote "awkward". It doesn't stop one being creative though, or from benefitting from laying out a book in Lightroom .

• 10. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom
                            YvesP Level 1

Hi John,

Didn't want to get into details in my original post, but let me clarify my request:

1. I cannot position a picture over two pages, and still have other pics around. This is useful with a panorama that can still take additional details / pictures below. Effort in Bookwright: 17 secs, effort in LR through cutting the pano, using the Print module, import, ...: 4m26secs

ScreenShot20170112_2.png

2. I cannot shuffle / layer two pictures one corner on top of the other.

Again: effort in Bookwright: 4 secs, effort in LR through the Print module, import, ...: 3m08secs

ScreenShot20170112_1.png

Through the Print work-around, I agree everything is possible (although it did take some time to find the margins used in the templates and use these in the Print section to achieve the same margins layout when importing the new JPG) but it is just very cumbersome, time-consuming, and not very efficient, which cannot be said from the rest of LR.

And the bizar thing is: the call functions for resizing and moving a picture are already available in LR in the Print module, and the Rotate and other fancy functions are in the Develop module. So either Adobe has written LR very badly and cannot use these functions throughout other modules, or they deliberately do not want to use them in the Book module. Blurb is allowing these functions in their own software, so it won't be them stopping Adobe ... So the mystery remains ... but it will be without me, cancelled my CC plan last night  :-(

• 11. Re: Page layout in the Book module of Lightroom

Thanks for responding, Yves, and I agree it's important to clarify the details of your earlier comments. I'd question your timings, at least if we are talking about raw files, and a lot depends on how much a user wants to do layouts that don't fit Book's templates. But those questions are nitpicking, and in any case Print workarounds are pretty hideous and hard to understand why they are needed. After all, Print has custom packages which allow fluid image layouts, and Slideshow offers text box positioning. Bizarre indeed.