11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2007 10:16 PM by Newsgroup_User

Change FileName to correct location

razta101
      Hello,
      I have 19 quicktime movies on my projector, they work fine when on my PC but when on CD I get a "Where is" box as it is looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Director\MOV\movie.mov". Ive noticed that in director the "Filename" in the movie properties also points to that directory, when I try to change it to "\MOV\movie.mov" it automatically changes it back to what is was. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thank you in advance.
      Ryan
        • 1. Re: Change FileName to correct location
          Level 7
          On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:58:36 GMT, razta101 posted in
          macromedia.director.basics:

> Hello,
          > Ive noticed that in director the
          > "Filename" in the movie properties also points to that directory, when I
          > try to change it to "\MOV\movie.mov" it automatically changes it back to
          > what is was. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

That's the way it works. Did you try my suggestion posted to your previous
          thread? Here, I'll expand on it some for you.

Do not replace 'the moviePath' in the below example. Use it just the way it's
          written. Note that a movie script cannot be placed anywhere in the Score.

-- movie script
          on startMovie
          the searchPaths = [the moviePath, the moviePath &"MOV"]
          end

That will cause your projector to look in the same folder as itself and in a
          sub folder called MOV.

projector.exe
          MOV\movie.mov

However, it seems by your "\MOV\movie.mov" path that you may want to go all
          the way up to the root of the drive, then down into the MOV folder. It would
          be much easier if the MOV folder is in the same folder as the projector, but
          let us know if that's not the case.

More details on searchPaths are available in the docs.

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
          • 2. Re: Change FileName to correct location
            Level 7
            Since digital video files are always linked and never fully imported,
            its important to place the original files where you want them before you
            link the files to your Director movie. The property inspector will
            always show the full path to the original file, this should not be a
            cause for concern. For your Director movie to find these QT files, the
            Director movie should be in the same folder as the folder "MOV". If you
            are using a stub projector, be sure that the MOV folder is next to the
            movie, not necessarily next to the projector. If you are using a
            projector made from your Director movie, then that projector should be
            next to the folder "MOV".

If you change the relative location of one file to the other between
            authoring and projector, you will have a problem with one file finding
            the other.

--
            Rob
            _______
            Rob Dillon
            Adobe Community Expert
            http://www.ddg-designs.com
            412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
            • 3. Re: Change FileName to correct location
              razta101 Level 1
              Mark A. Boyd - I dident quite understand where to put the "movie script" lingo, but ive just figured it out, you just put it in like any other cast sctript. Sorry for asking the same question twice, and thanks alot for every ones help. The cd now works perfectly! (for now)

Thanks again,
              Ryan
              • 4. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                Level 7
                On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:01:40 GMT, razta101 posted in

> Mark A. Boyd - I dident quite understand where to put the "movie script"
                > lingo, but ive just figured it out, you just put it in like any other
                > cast sctript. Sorry for asking the same question twice, and thanks alot
                > for every ones help. The cd now works perfectly! (for now)

Glad to hear it!

That's what learnin' is all about :)

In general, both Dean's and Rob's advice should work. I use the searchPaths
                when my main projector navigates to movies in a different sub folder. This
                may be why it worked for you this time.

projector.exe
                DIR\aMovie.dcr
                MOV\aVideo.mov

With the searchPaths set in the projector, aMovie.dcr still finds aVideo.mov.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                • 5. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                  razta101 Level 1
                  Sorry to be a pain. I mistakenly thought it had been resolved however I found that the projector was just getting the movies from "C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Director\MOV\movie.mov" instead of from on the CD. When on another PC I still get the "where is" popup.

Heres the CD-ROM file structure:
                  projector.exe
                  /MOV/movie.mov
                  /PDF/file.pdf
                  /PAPER/paper.jpg

In the movie cast member script is:

on startMovie
                  the searchPaths = [the moviePath, the moviePath &"MOV"]
                  end

Am I missing something out? Cheers lads.
                  • 6. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                    Level 7
                    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:06:20 GMT, razta101 posted in

> Sorry to be a pain. I mistakenly thought it had been resolved however I
                    > found that the projector was just getting the movies from "C:\Documents
                    > and Settings\Ryan\Director\MOV\movie.mov" instead of from on the CD.
                    > When on another PC I still get the "where is" popup.

One way to test without burning CD coasters every time is to copy the
                    projector and its supporting files (all the files you would burn to CD) to a
                    different directory (or drive) and rename your original development folder to
                    something else during testing. ie:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\DirectorXXX

If you're going to the dreaded 'Where is' error, it would show up here as
                    well.

> Heres the CD-ROM file structure:
                    > projector.exe
                    > /MOV/movie.mov
                    > /PDF/file.pdf
                    > /PAPER/paper.jpg
                    >
                    > In the movie cast member script is:
                    >
                    > on startMovie
                    > the searchPaths = [the moviePath, the moviePath &"MOV"]
                    > end

Are you sure that is a movie script? Select the script member and check its
                    properties. The Script Type should be set to Movie, not Behavior or Parent.

Any chance you have two movie scripts with the startMovie event? Only the
                    first one will be executed.

Do you have any Lingo controlling the fileName property of the QT members or
                    are you simply going to a frame with a QT sprite?

--
                    Mark A. Boyd
                    • 7. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                      razta101 Level 1
                      Sorry and thank you. I had it down as a Behavior script instead of a Movie script. Tested it properly this time before burning to CD. Should have read my book properly instead of skipping to the interesting parts. Thanks again, Ryan
                      • 8. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                        razta101 Level 1
                        Ive borrowd a laptop from my girlfreind to test the cd before it goes on sale tomorrow. When I tested the cd on my girlfreinds laptop the first movie works fine but when I move to the next frame with a different movie on it gives the dreaded "Where is" popup, you would have thought you could just compare the working movie to the non working one and find out where the problem is, however both movies are exacly the same with exacly the same movie script, I couldnt find any difference at all apart from the actual movie name, same directory, same script, just on a different frame.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, any help appretiated. If I cant figure it out before tonight I'll just have to resort to putting thr movies in the same directory as the projector.

Thank you,
                        Ryan
                        • 9. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                          Level 7
                          On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:15:50 GMT, razta101 posted in

> Ive borrowd a laptop from my girlfreind to test the cd before it goes on
                          > sale tomorrow. When I tested the cd on my girlfreinds laptop the first
                          > movie works fine but when I move to the next frame with a different
                          > movie on it gives the dreaded "Where is" popup, you would have thought
                          > you could just compare the working movie to the non working one and find
                          > out where the problem is, however both movies are exacly the same with
                          > exacly the same movie script, I couldnt find any difference at all apart
                          > from the actual movie name, same directory, same script, just on a
                          > different frame.

Would you mind referring to digital videos as videos rather than movies? It
                          would lessen the confusion with Director movie files.

If both of those videos were in the same folder, MOV, when you imported them,
                          it should just work. Are you creating your projector in the same folder as
                          the Dir file was last saved? That might make a difference.

I personally use Lingo to change the fileName property of a video member,
                          then navigate to the frame that shows the video. That gives me complete
                          control.

You might try dropping this behavior script onto a button that navigates to
                          the video. Enter the name of the video including its extension in the dialog
                          that appears. Create a single QuickTime member named "QTmember" then this
                          should work.

property pVidFile

on beginSprite me
                          pth = the moviePath &"MOV\"
                          pVidFile = pth &pVidFile
                          end

on mouseUp me
                          if pVidFile <> the moviePath &"MOV\" then
                          member("QTmember").fileName = pVidFile

-- you probably already have a script to
                          -- handle the 'go to' navigation. If not,
                          -- uncomment this next line and replace "QT"
                          -- with your video frame.
                          -- go to "QT"
                          else
                          alert "No video to play"
                          end if
                          end

on getPropertyDescriptionList me
                          pList = [:]
                          pList[#pVidFile] = [#comment:"Which Video?"]
                          pList[#pVidFile][#format] = #string
                          pList[#pVidFile][#default] = ""
                          return pList
                          end

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          • 10. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                            Level 7
                            Hi Ryan,

Here's another option for you. I assume all your Director files are are dxr
                            (protected) movies. If not, let me know and I'll tell you what to do.

Continuing:
                            * put all dxr's and mov's in one folder, for example 'content'

* create a dir one level up from content and make a stub movie out of this file.
                            Let's call this movie - stub.dir
                            For info on this, look at:
                            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/publishing/projector.asp
                            In your first frame, you can put a loading image or any startup graphic. And you
                            can have a frame behavior as follows:
                            on exitFrame me
                            go to movie "@:content:start"
                            end

The above assumes your first movie in the sequence is called start.dxr.

* Create a projector out of stub.dir. See my above link for info.

* Burn files to a CD with the projector in the root directory, a folder called
                            Xtras along side it as well as the content folder. That way, your top folder is
                            relatively clean, the main content in Director movies and videos remain in one
                            folder.

You can use Lingo to find the location of videos. BUT, if you're final deliverable
                            needs to be available tomorrow, I'd say DON'T GO THIS ROUTE. The reason I say this
                            is because you don't want to be in the situation where you make a small error
                            without realising it and then you distribute faulty CDs. Go with something that
                            you're 100% sure works. Next time around, you can give yourself more time for
                            testing and to work out why the problem was happening so you can do things in the
                            right way.

regards
                            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 11. Re: Change FileName to correct location
                              Level 7
                              By the way, I didn't sepecifically say it but may be able to work it out. Just in
                              case:
                              go to movie "@:content:start"
                              The above statement links to a file called 'start' in a subfolder called 'content'.

So, the idea is to separate the projector from the content so that the user doesn't
                              have to see a messy folder with all content files.

regards
                              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au