11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 9:31 AM by dj_paige

Folders partly missing on new primary drive

sadsharp

Hi,

I just copied my photo folders from my working field drive to a new external.

On starting lightroom 5 Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 15.52.27.png i hit synchronize folder (i think) and it partly brought the shots in. I say partly because it randomly brought in a each of my folders and left the bulk 'behind'.

It also added folders together on the top level to increase the number of files in the catalogue.

Really weird. I've done EVERYTHING, (i think) from updating folder location, synchronise, import and on and on. if i attempt to import then the folder recognises the correct amount of data but when i hit don't apply duplicates it weirds out again.

I really don't want to lose all the work i've done on certain files so would like to rescue this situation.

Main file is 'Nepal 2014' which for some reason now has two differing and incorrect numbers by the side. The subfolders are all correct save the numbers. There are 20,000 + shots not linked.

Also the top level Nepal folder is mainly unlinked while the subfolders are 'working'.

This is extremely strange and boo Adobe for again not being there.

Anyone in the community can help with this ?

ps - all mac and fully up to date.

• 1. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
          dj_paige Level 9

If you are moving the photos to a new hard disk, then you don't want to synchronize or import the photos. That is a mistake. Never re-import. And don't use synchronize folders unless you are 100% sure you understand what it is going to do.

The proper way to handle this is to follow these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm. I am assuming you have moved the photos (not copied as you said) because your screen capture indicates a "move". So, for the folders with a question mark, follow those instructions. WIth regards to the other folders, I'm not sure if those belong in your catalog, or not.

Lastly, for future reference, we don't understand the phrase "weirds out". Describe exactly what happens instead of saying "weirds out".

• 2. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
            sadsharp Level 1

Hi,

Thanks but i've done all that already and still cannot get the shots in the folder to relink to the catalogue.

Think i messed up by not properly exporting the catalogue first.

Whenever i try 'find missing folder' etc nothing happens.

Earlier though one or two things happened in which the folder or single shot i was targeting seemed to get swallowed up somehwere which again is strange.

Not too sure why to remove the files without the question mark...at the moment they are the only ones that 'work' even though 75% of the data is on the harddrive and will not link up...

• 3. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
              dj_paige Level 9

Well, I'm not trying to be impertinent, but when you say "i've done all that already and still cannot get the shots in the folder to relink to the catalogue", then you haven't done it properly.

Please describe exactly what you did in great detail, and what happened. If there is an error message, please quote it word-for-word, verbatim, unedited, or show us a screen capture.

The same applies for "Whenever i try 'find missing folder' etc nothing happens". Describe exactly what you did and what happened, etc. etc.

Do you have a backup of your catalog file just before you performed this move?

• 4. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                sadsharp Level 1

And also some of the folder structure & content is perfect.

I'd say three of the folders are extactly as they should be.

Just the main one 'Bricks' is missing about 24,000 shots and the top level 'Nepal 2014' is not linking to anything that is not in the subfolders, even though it should be.

For example say Bricks should have 10 shots but the subfolder shows 4. The top level 'Nepal 2014' shows the previews for all 10 but is only linked to the four in the subfolder.

Does this help out any ??

• 5. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                  dj_paige Level 9

Just the main one 'Bricks' is missing about 24,000 shots and the top level 'Nepal 2014' is not linking to anything that is not in the subfolders, even though it should be.

For example say Bricks should have 10 shots but the subfolder shows 4. The top level 'Nepal 2014' shows the previews for all 10 but is only linked to the four in the subfolder.

Does this help out any ??

No, it confuses me more. I see "Briks" (not "Bricks", which I don't see) has 7648 photos in it.

Can we also see a screen capture of the relevant part of your Windows Explorer/Mac Finder, showing the folder structure that involves these folders?

• 6. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                    sadsharp Level 1

Hi,

Typo.

Ok so on the screenshot i'm looking at importing from the same folder from the same drive as the folder Briks that shows around 7000 shots in LR.

Here though it shows the correct amount 21711.

It's the same folder on the same drive.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.15.png

• 7. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                      sadsharp Level 1

Hi,

The very basic folder structure...Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.48.41.png

• 8. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                        sadsharp Level 1

BTW:

Now those shots on the import dialogue are greyed out...

• 9. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                          dj_paige Level 9

I'm sure if I was sitting at your computer with you, all of this would make sense.

However, since I am sitting across the internet, I am afraid I still can't make heads or tails of your situation.

In particular, are there no subfolders under "Nepal2014" in your operating system? I wanted to see the subfolders, as your operating system sees them.

• 10. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                            sadsharp Level 1

Hi,

Yeah i know it;s frustrating right...

The subfolders are down the hierarchy because i have a bunch of singles that are unsorted so they push the folders out of view.

The really frustrating thing is that some of them are fine and just one is faulty.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 17.25.24.png

• 11. Re: Folders partly missing on new primary drive
                              dj_paige Level 9

I'm going to suggest you start a new thread and explain this in as much detail as possible, with appropriate screen captures, so perhaps someone else can jump in and figure out what is going on. This isn't working here between us, you don't seem to understand me and I don't seem to understand you.