4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2007 11:35 AM by ArexM RSS

Confused about movie clips in movie clips...

ArexM

Help! I have scoured pages and pages of books and forums, and cannot seem to find a straight answer on this. Even on the recent posts in this forum the answers seem very muddled.

I have created a drop down menu, which consists of a movie clip with an onRollover action, which "drops down" a movie clip that contains movie clip buttons. for example:

menu_mc (has onRollover and RollOut action to reveal menu)
      contains button1_mc, button2mc, etc.
      which are supposed to link to outside urls.

i am to understand that by using onRollover and onRollout on the menu_mc to animate it negates the movie clip button's actions underneath...I just don't understand what action (tellTarget?) to use (AND WHERE...frame? instance?) to get the buttons inside the menu_mc to work.

please help! thanks so much!!!
        • 1. Re: Confused about movie clips in movie clips...
          kglad MVP
          you can't work-around this issue. if you code any mouse handlers (like a rollOver etc) for a parent it will intercept all mouse events (like onPress etc) that are intended for child movieclips.

to remedy you must

1. code mouse handlers for the youngest generation that you want to respond to the mouse or

2. use a hitTest() for one of the movieclip generations and mouse handlers for the other generation.
          • 2. Re: Confused about movie clips in movie clips...
            ArexM Community Member
            I was beginning to suspect as much...I was naive enough to think creating a drop down menu would be simple!
            I have started to familiarize myself with the hitTest method, but it is a bit confusing as well.
            would i use that for the drop down movie clip and mouse handlers for the sub menu movie clips?
            Do you have suggestions for how that would go, scripting-wise?? (i.e. does the script go on the instances or frames, etc...)
            for example,
            where /what would be proper code for your suggestion :
            1. code mouse handlers for the youngest generation that you want to respond to the mouse
            is that a matter of targeting a path?
            sorry I have been trying to figure this out so long i can't think anymore...

thanks so much for your help :)

• 3. Re: Confused about movie clips in movie clips...
              kglad MVP
              post a link to your fla and i'll show you how to fix it.
              • 4. Re: Confused about movie clips in movie clips...
                ArexM Community Member
                thanks so much for your help!
                this is weird i thought i posted this reply last night but then i looked this morning and didn't see it? so i will just post again...
                here's the link to where you can dowload my file:

http://www.starvingalex.com/flash/flash.htm

ps. the menus w/ the movie clips are also inside another sliding menu that is a movie clip...any insight you have would be much appreciated :)
                I am using mx 2004

thanks again!