18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 10:23 AM by Alp Er Tunga

Standard size previews

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I can not create standard size previews with Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews.

After running this command ... both Adobe own preview extractor and Jeffrey plug-in can not find standard size preview (I assume these extractors are working as expected).

How can I create standard size previews?

• 1. Re: Standard size previews
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you mean when you say that you cannot create standard previews? Lightroom does this automatically, and that is what Lightroom uses in the library module to display your images and the adjustments that have been made to them.

• 2. Re: Standard size previews
            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

After importing with the minimal preview, I tried to create the standard size preview with the above command for my sample .cr2 file ... before displaying it in the loupe mode in library module or without opening it in the develop module.

But, these extractors can not see the standard size preview for my file.

• 3. Re: Standard size previews
              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Is there any other way for extracting catalog previews?

• 4. Re: Standard size previews
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

As I am not familiar with either of those plugins, where are they looking for the previews?

The LR previews are stored in the "previews.LRdata" folder, not in the image files.

• 5. Re: Standard size previews
                  Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Alper,

If you have already created standard previews for those files, Lightroom is showing you the preview for your raw files as the standard ones and they get stored in the same location as your main Catalog with the name LightroomCatalogPreviews.lrdata

There is no other requirement to locate or extract Standard Previews in Lightroom.

If that is what you are not looking for, you may mention your workflow and the exact output that you are trying to achieve.

Regards,

Chetna

• 6. Re: Standard size previews
                    Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Joe, Chetna,

Thanks a lot ...

I'm just trying to understand how previews are working in Lr.

It seems that if a file has 1:1 preview previously, the "Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews" menu command does not create standard size previews.

I run this command after deleting the 1:1 preview ... but the extractors mentioned in the first entry can not see standard size previews after running this command ... or Lr actually does not create them.

Not for my Lr workflow, just for curiosity.

• 7. Re: Standard size previews

Hi Alper,

I would suggest you to go through the below article that will explain you the difference between types of Previews that Lightroom generates and I believe that will answer your query :

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html#main_Render_1_1_p reviews_intentionally

And if you build 1:1 Previews initially at the time of import, then Lightroom creates Minimal and Standard Previews as well, so all three are available to the program as needed.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Chetna

• 8. Re: Standard size previews
                        Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thanks ... if you have some more time, I want to ask about the color spaces used in previews and in histograms:

1. For raw files, is the histogram on the library module calculated in AdobeRGB?

2. For non-raw images, which color space is used for the previews and the histogram on the library module?

3. I think that for both raw and non-raw files, the previews and the histogram on the develop module are in Melissa RGB ... isn't it?

• 9. Re: Standard size previews

It does not depend upon the type of image for Lightroom to display the color space. It depends in which module you are working in.

Library module displays the images in AdobeRGB profile whereas Develop module displays them in ProPhotoRGB.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/color-management.html#How%20Lightroom%20manages%20c olor

• 10. Re: Standard size previews
                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thanks a lot Chetna.

• 11. Re: Standard size previews
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alper Tonga wrote:

It seems that if a file has 1:1 preview previously, the "Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews" menu command does not create standard size previews.

I run this command after deleting the 1:1 preview ... but the extractors mentioned in the first entry can not see standard size previews after running this command ... or Lr actually does not create them.

I believe 'Discard 1:1 Previews' only removes the full-size preview and not the Standard previews.

Do either of these preview extractors show Standard Previews with other LR files that you know have Standard Previews built?

• 12. Re: Standard size previews
                                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Do either of these preview extractors show Standard Previews with other LR files that you know have Standard Previews built?

Yes ... I can get standard size previews for other files.

Let me list what happens in my tests:

1. Let's say a file (DNG file) has a standard preview ... so both of these extractors can give the standard preview.

2. Then, I'm creating 1:1 preview for the same file with the related menu command ... again, both of them can give 1:1 preview now.

3. Now, I'm deleting 1:1 preview with "Discard 1:1 Previews" menu command for getting the standard preview again.

4. The extractors can not extract the standard preview at this step ... they extract nothing.

5. So, I think that "Discard 1:1 Previews" command deletes not only 1:1 preview but also the standard preview.

6. Then, I run "Build Standard-Sized Previews".

7. But, no luck ... they again can not extract the standard size preview at this step ...  they extract nothing.

After these steps ... if I again build 1:1 preview with the menu option, I can get 1:1 preview ... but I can not get the standard size preview anymore.

• 13. Re: Standard size previews
                                  Alp Er Tunga Level 1

By the way ... in my experience, if I change the size of the standard previews on catalog settings window, "Build Standard-Sized Previews" command does not update the sizes of standard previews.

The extractors still give standard previews with the old size settings.

In all my tests, I give enough time to Lr for handling these changes and sometimes close and open it again.

• 14. Re: Standard size previews

Alper Tonga wrote:

Yes ... I can get standard size previews for other files.

Let me list what happens in my tests.......x

After these steps ... if I again build 1:1 preview with the menu option, I can get 1:1 preview ... but I can not get the standard size preview anymore.

I suggest resetting your LR Preferences as outlined at the below link and try the same tests again.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-fi le-updated

This often resolves unexplained issues!

• 15. Re: Standard size previews

Here's what my LR5 and LRCC Preferences files look like BEFORE and AFTER resetting the files:

Legacy data is carried forward from the previous LR version with each Catalog Update that eventually causes issues. Note the size difference (190KB OLD vs 38KB Reset).

• 16. Re: Standard size previews
                                        bob frost Level 3

Carrying forward data from your old LR5 prefs file when upgrading, is BY DESIGN apparently. I always rename the old LR prefs file before upgrading, to make the upgrade start afresh. It may take 5 mins to reselect all my prefs, but compared with the hours of wasted time that old prefs can cause, that is a very minor problem. Adobe could of course give us the choice when upgrading?

Bob frost

• 17. Re: Standard size previews

Bob, one of the things I noticed after resetting LR Preferences is that three of my non-Adobe plugins (AnyFilter, DataExplorer, LREnfuse) were missing. I also noticed the OLD LR Preferences file contained data for many plugins I stopped using years ago. It appears when a plugin is uninstalled its data remains in the LR Preferences file and is carried forward with upgrades.

I agree the best LR upgrade strategy is to start with a fresh Preferences file. Just be aware that you'll have to reinstall any missing non-Adobe plugins. It doesn't take long and its a good time to check the plugins for updates so they also start fresh.

• 18. Re: Standard size previews
                                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I'm sorry for the late reply ...

Thanks a lot for the preferences method ... I will try it soon.