3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 9:34 AM by ManiacJoe

Lightroom Catalogue will not re-link after hard drive swap

sadsharp Level 1

Hi.

Sorry this is complicated. Will try to keep it as simple as i can:

Ok; i copied my source files from a small external to a larger desktop drive and mistakingly messed up with the catalogue. What i did not to was export the the catalogue etc as i now remember doing in the past.

What id did do was an mix of synhronising folders, looking for lost folders, relinking individual files and probably a lot more which stress has made me forget.

So, right now i have all my folders on an external drive called 'Primary' which is recognised by lightroom and does have folders from Primary in the catlogue, but not complete either in numbers of files that should be inside them or the way the files are inside that folder. You see the folders are almost duplicated. Now the strange thing is is that the folders highlighted are full and work 100%. All post processing is present and tiffs are embedded with the RAW files etc:

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 15.52.27.png

Now the folder 'Briks' should have around 21,000 files inside but only shows around 7,000 on the menu. If i try to import though the files are greyed out as they are already in the catalogue somewhere i think. Also, the total number of files originally for 'Nepal 2014' is 32,000 not 40,000. So there around 8000 files with no home or duplicates.

I know the folder on Primary is fine as if i attempt to import i see the correct files and also this window greys out telling me the files cannot be copied as i have 'don't import duplicates' on.

IScreen Shot 2015-06-02 at 16.42.15.png

What i have learned is that if i do proceed with 'find folder' i get 'merge' option. If i proceed it seems to swap the folder with a missing link at the bottom of the menu with the corresponding folder at the top that is linked, drop the files inside and all is good. Well not really as it loses all the metadata, ratings, colour coding and loses the original file and thus all the work in Photoshop that went into the image. The NEF and the TIFF split apart.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 20.27.00.png

What i hope to be able to do is to get the folder Briks to behave, relink the 22,000 files and also link with the files in the catalogue and the 'Nepal 2014' top tier folder as in order remain linked to the Raw, retain all the ratings etc and the order i've placed them which took a long long time. if i can just get the contents of Briks from the drive and talking to those previews in Nepal 2014 i can soldier on. Below is the Nepal 2014 top tier folder. it retains all the information i want but alas no files for the previews.

The NEF file number 5 belongs in the Nepali Nintendo folder which is a subfolder of Nepal 2014. The Nepali Nintendo folder is a-ok

It is frustrating how some folders came over 100% and others didn't. I cross my fingers that someone out there can figure this one for me.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 20.31.03.png

All other info is mac all updated etc. Not a computer issue though i don't think...

• 1. Re: Lightroom Catalogue will not re-link after hard drive swap
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Any chance you have a backup copy of the catalog and can start over using a copy of the backup?

This part has me worried:

"What id did do was an mix of synhronising folders, looking for lost folders, relinking individual files and probably a lot more which stress has made me forget."

It should be really simple to copy all the images from the external drive while maintaining the folder structure by doing a drag/drop in Finder, then from LR Library module, Folders pane, "relocate" the top-most folders.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Catalogue will not re-link after hard drive swap
            sadsharp Level 1

Hi,

Yes i found a back up from 7 days ago so i'll use that.

It's just now i don't want to make the same mistake so what is best practice in asking lightroom to now use drive B and not drive A as the source for the folders.

I was sure yesterday i tried to do this using 'update folder location' which got me into trouble/

• 3. Re: Lightroom Catalogue will not re-link after hard drive swap
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

As long as drive B has the same directory structure as drive A, things should to very smoothly.

First, do NOT do any imports nor synchronizing nor moving nor drag/drop nor merging.

What you need to do is "relocate" just to tell LR where the files and folders are now.

Start with the folders as this will solve 99% of the problems.

In the Library module, Folders panel, expand the folders by right-click "show parent" to see the full paths.

Using the top-most folders that exist on the new drive, right-click on each top-most folder and select "Update folder location".

Navigate to the new folder location on the new drive. Make sure you select the folder with the same name and not the parent folder.

Repeat as needed for each top-most folder.

After relocating your folders, take a look at your images in the grid view. Most (all?) should no longer be marked as missing.

For any that are still marked as missing, use the standard "find missing photo" procedure.