1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 5:12 PM by thedigitaldog

Color Correcting Help

JMDlugosz Level 1

I wonder if someone with more experience can give me some advice on this photo.  I used a DNG profile, but the white balance doesn't agree exactly with the neutral patches on the color target, and the skin tone is a bit orange.

Using the eyedropper on the neutral patches (bottom row of either plaque, and third row center on the upper plaque) warms it up a bit (shouldn't they be neutral if the profile was generated exactly on that image?), and makes the orange worse.

DSC00980.xmp and DSC00980.arw

and another example is

DSC00689.xmp and DSC00689.arw.

• 1. Re: Color Correcting Help
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

John Dlugosz wrote:

Using the eyedropper on the neutral patches (bottom row of either plaque, and third row center on the upper plaque) warms it up a bit (shouldn't they be neutral if the profile was generated exactly on that image?), and makes the orange worse.

No, not necessarily. The DNG profile doesn't have a specific role in terms of White Balance, you still have to use the various tools (eyedropper and perhaps an adjustment for Tint/Temp) to get to your goal. In other words, a DNG camera profile doesn't ensure WB is neutral, that's a separate operation by design. Do try clicking on a non spectrally neutral white, not gray. It's often the case you will want to 'season to taste' and also alter the tint/temp settings. Also, keep an eye on the RGB values (neutrals are R=G=B) because it's possible your display calibration could produce what appears to be a tint when the RGB values are indeed neutral.