9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 9:47 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?

cristallrose

How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?

• 1. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cristallrose

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

When the picture is imported into the project, does it present oriented properly? Is suspect not.

The Instant Movie features traces back to the source media at the hard drive save location. Before import, you need to rotate the picture to the correct orientation. And, then import it into the Premiere Elements project to be part of an Instant Movie feature.

Also note, that during the making of the Instant Movie, there is a dialog for a yes or no to the feature ignoring already applied effects to the images. Even a no is not going to help if the hard drive has the picture in an unwanted orientation.

Please review and consider. If this is a cell phone picture, please consider holding the cell phone's camera in a different position to avoid this type of issue.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
            cristallrose Level 1

I am using premiere elements 8 on windows 8. I was at the time using a cellphone but have uploaded them all onto my computer and when i edit them in photoshop they appear right but when uploaded in premiere they again are upside down

• 3. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cristallrose

Thanks for the reply.

Please go to the hard drive save location location where you have the photo saved. Please let me know the orientation there.

If the orientation is incorrect there, it will be incorrect in the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Instant Movie feature. If it is correct there, it will be correct in the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Instant Movie feature.

Also noted, if I import the incorrectly oriented photo into Photoshop Elements 8, the photo imports right side up while the file in the hard drive save location is incorrectly oriented. But, if I import the incorrectly oriented photo into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, the photo imports the incorrectly oriented way as seen for it at its hard drive save location. As said, the Instant Movie references back to the file at the hard drive save location.

Please take another look at this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                cristallrose Level 1

Sorry I am unclear what you mean by orientation location. I am not very tech savy.

• 5. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

cristallrose

Thanks for the reply.

When you import your photo into Premiere Elements and it is facing the wrong way, where on the computer did you get it from?

There has to be a place on the computer hard drive where it was saved when you brought the photo into the computer.

I am assuming that you are opening Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace and using Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your photo into the project.

When you are in Add Media/Files and Folders, where do you navigate to in order to select the photo that you want to Add? That is the hard drive save location for the photo. The way that the photo is presenting (up side down or other) at that hard drive save location is what we need to know.

Even if the Elements Organizer is involved, the Elements Organizer does not have the original. Its thumbnails are copies of the original. And, those copies trace back to the originals at their hard drive save location.

Please consider and let me know if I have clarified the situation and the information that we seek to correct the way that the photo is presenting in the Premiere Elements Instant Movie. If still not clear, let me know in what way, and I will find another way to explain.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                    cristallrose Level 1

When I add media the pictures are located under a documents folder....... C:\Users\Crystal Rose\Pictures\Classroom 2015\Classroom Fun When I open them they are rotated right but when I add them to the premiere they get rotated back

• 7. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

cristallrose

Thanks for the follow up.

Are these photos in the Classroom Fun Folder from Classroom in a Book? Or, are these photos from your cell phone that you are just storing in the Classroom Fun Folder?

Could you take one of the photos in the Classroom Fun Folder and copy it. And, then rotate the photo clockwise for now. Then import that copied photo which was rotated into Premiere Elements project. Does that photo present differently than the original that appeared OK where it was saved in the Classroom Fun Folder?

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                        cristallrose Level 1

They are from a cellphone. The problem is some of the photos I deleted off the phone so I can not flip them.

• 9. Re: How do I rotate a picture in premiere so that it comes out straight when using instant video?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

crsitallrose

Your deletion of the originals on the phone should not hold us back if you have transferred copies to the computer hard drive. Glad that the photos were not from Classroom in a Book since then we would have another variable to content with. That book some times has problems with its lesson files.

Wherever you put those photos on the computer, they are going to be showing to you either up side down, right side up, or other. That is what I need to know, that is, how do the photos appear when they are seen in the computer hard drive save location? It may turn out that, even if they look OK there, we might have to change the orientation there so that they look OK in Premiere Elements Instant Movie.

As I mentioned, the Instant Movie workspace is one that references back to the file on the computer hard drive and not that file that is on the Timeline.

Any questions, please let me know.

ATR